I cant uninstall Civ4

No, I did everything you mentioned a few posts ago with deleting folders, registry entries, etc. and couldn't get vanilla to reinstall. Then I found the Installshield version problem I linked to 2 posts up, renamed that one folder, then ran setup.exe from the vanilla disk. Did you re-boot after re-naming the folder? I think I might have, that's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks, I deleted those reg entries and then I could re-install. Guess I missed that earlier post. God knows how he found those obscure entries in the registry.

kw

Glad to see that you got it resolved. It's frustrating to have a problem like that. Thankfully there are a lot of people here willing to help.

Game On! :thumbsup:

Game worked flawlessly bu then I instaled a patch update and now the game won't run at all. I tired uninsatalling but i get an error message. I've tired every thing and when i try to reinstall i get a message that says a more recent version is already installed and it won't reinstall. Please help!!!! Any thing would be appreciated!!!

The same thing happened here and I think tech support on the site should try and fix this problem.

do the following to completely remove Civ4 aka Vanilla manually:
try the uninstall routine using control panel (that is what failed for people in this thread - but just in case someone else reads this ;))
start the registry editor (regedit) and delete the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}
then reinstall.

Do you want to remove the game completely? then you'll also need to delete all other Firaxis and Civilization and Civ keys in the registry - especially HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games - (or reinstall and run the uninstaller which is safer) AND
delete all of the following directories that the uninstaller does not remove itself:

"...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4"
"...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4"
"...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4"
"...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}"
"...\Program Files\Firaxis Games\"

Note: most of those are hidden directories so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files.

Hope this helps and Welcome to CFC :)

It worked thank you so much if you ever need computer advice (although i doubt it) just contact me.

The same thing happened here and I think tech support on the site should try and fix this problem.

It worked thank you so much if you ever need computer advice (although i doubt it) just contact me.

Glad it works - just one note: this is not any official Tech support forum - even though Firaxis links to it. The guys who need to fix this work for Take2 and are paid for it - around here its just fans ;)

Welcome to Civfanatics :band:

Hey everyone. I'm having the same problem in which the game thinks it is still installed when I have deleted everything. I cant reinstall the game now!

Ori, I have tried everything you said. But I ran into a problem! The registry file you mentioned in the InstallShield Information folder doesnt exist on my computer. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

It seems to just be the CD version. It says "Game of the Year Edition" but I dont think thats any different. So yes, it is the CD version.

Its just the cryptic folder name that you mention that is missing. I have the installshield information folder with many other cryptic looking folders in it, but I have searched it many times and the one you mentioned is not there. I have edited the registry before, so I sort of know what I'm doing, but I have wiped my hard drive and reloaded everything since then, so it's all how it should be... that was before I even owned the game though.

Its just the cryptic folder name that you mention that is missing. I have the installshield information folder with many other cryptic looking folders in it, but I have searched it many times and the one you mentioned is not there. I have edited the registry before, so I sort of know what I'm doing, but I have wiped my hard drive and reloaded everything since then, so it's all how it should be...

Well, after a long time of poking around, I finally found it. I went to the registry, as you said, but it wasn't there. I was double checking the folder locations you said to delete to make sure I deleted them. I had deleted them, but I stumbled across another installshield information folder that was hidden in another location. I found it in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

Thanks for the help! It's installing now!

I have been having the same problem. After I downloaded the patch, I could not play the game. The error message I got was, "This application has failed to start because D3DX9_32.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." So I tried unistalling it, but there was an error saying "An error {-5009 : 0x8000fff} has occured" So I followed the direction above and went into the registry and deleted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}, then I also deleted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games. This let re-install the game, but after I installed it, I tried playing it and the same error (This application has failed to start because D3DX9_32.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Came up again. I am totally lost and would really appreciate any help. Also, I'm a totally noob with computers. Thanks.

Hey Ori, been looking over your posts and instructions over the past hour and have accomplished very little.

I have played CIV4 for over a year now without problems, until I tried the patch 1.71 to play online. The patch screwed the game over, can't play it now and I can uninstall it either. I tried all you instructions but to no avail.

I've deleted (and backed up) all the registry keys, renamed the game folders, and I still get an error (one that I haven't seen on these forums yet) when I try to uninstall it.

It looks like quite a few people have this issue, and this just reinforces my opinion that Firaxis has made a <snip> move here. The game was obviously rushed (evidence in the horrible construction of the UI) and they overlooked major issues like this one.

Seems like right now my only option is to reformat the computer. I sent an email to Firaxis support, and guess what? All I got back was an automated reply with some links, one of which led eventually to this thread. LOL.

It's been 3 months since I sent them that email, nothing yet.

Thanks a lot for your help Ori, I've gotten somewhere at least :p

EDIT: new error that I have been getting:

Error loading C:\PROGRA~`\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\PROFES~1\RunTime\11\00\Intel32.Ctor.dll

The specified module could not be found

Moderator Action: Please watch your language - even if agitated

Top Bottom