I cant uninstall Civ4

I am so happy that I decided to google the issue instead of just reinstalling Windows. I haven't been able to get Civ to play or uninstall/reinstall for the longest time. Hopefully this will work out!

I've just got vanilla right now, but I've been planning on getting the complete edition.

do the following to completely remove Civ4 aka Vanilla manually:
try the uninstall routine using control panel (that is what failed for people in this thread - but just in case someone else reads this ;))
start the registry editor (regedit) and delete the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}
then reinstall.

I looked for this file but i don't have CFBCE791-2D53-B3FB-D6Eo1F4112E8 I dont have this what should i do?

i think i have vista and the game is cd. its the game of the year edition. sorry for not being specific.

ok open the installations installation information folder.
it includes a number of folders that roughly look like the one that needs to go. Open each of them - if it has a subfolder called 1.74 then that is the one that needs to go.

sry im quite a noob when it comes to computer stuff. do you know where that folder would be?

For some reason I thought you already looked for this file...
Anyways: all files that need to go for Civ4 to be removed are listed with (Civ4) after them in the below - the installshield installation information folder listed in there is the one I mean:

install the most recent version of DirectX 9c from Microsoft

then do the following for a clean reinstall:

Uninstall and Reinstall Civ4 Warlords BtS :

Try to follow this order when doing stuff:
Use Control panel to uninstall Beyond the Sword, then Warlords, then Civ4
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" (Civ4)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}" (Warlords)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}" (BtS)
(note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).
Install Civ4, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here)
Install Warlords, immediately patch it to 2.08 (download it fresh from here)
Install Beyond the Sword, immediately patch to 3.17 (download it fresh from here).

when i try to open the documents and settings file it says its not accessible. access is denied. why does it do this?

ok so i did every you said in the upper one and i couldnt find the my games in the local settings folder. Any suggestions on that? i went ahead and deleted the number folder thing. I tried putting in the disk and it said "couldnt find something reinstalling this would fix the problem". yet there is no reinstall button any suggestions?

sorry i don't know how to post an image on this pc. its new so im still trying to get used to it.

when the error occurs hit prnt or print or prnt scrn (this is a key on your keyboard)
then open any graphics program (e.g. paint that is installed by default on windows)
then choose paste
save the image
attach the saved image to a post here :)

This is what the error message says when i try to play civ (i just click on the icon and it says this.) Capture.JPG

Top Bottom