I cant uninstall Civ4

Benson I Am Experienceing The Same Problem

Any Luck?
It Would Be Nice Of Sid To Send Us An Unistall Program.

Not yet, sorry. My friend has just been playing on my computer. It was his that was not letting us uninstall the game. I'm going to try emailing the makers to see if they can help at all.

do the following to completely remove Civ4 aka Vanilla manually:
try the uninstall routine using control panel (that is what failed for people in this thread - but just in case someone else reads this ;))
start the registry editor (regedit) and delete the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}
then reinstall.

Do you want to remove the game completely? then you'll also need to delete all other Firaxis and Civilization and Civ keys in the registry - especially HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games - (or reinstall and run the uninstaller which is safer) AND
delete all of the following directories that the uninstaller does not remove itself:

"...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4"
"...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4"
"...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4"
"...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}"
"...\Program Files\Firaxis Games\"

Note: most of those are hidden directories so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files.

Hope this helps and Welcome to CFC :)

I just had a problem uninstalling today and I did this:

Go to my computer and right click on your CD drive. Choose "Open". Then double click on "setup". That's what worked for me. I'm not a good enough geek to know what to do if that doesn't work.

I have the same problem. which program did you use to open it?

Ori,

Thanks. After going through every possible combination of Firaxis and Civ with Jv Powertools, I knew Civ IV looked for some obscure, randomized piece of alphanumeric registry crap to figure out whether or not it's installed.

You just happened to be the guy who knew what the registry crap was. :D

Thanks again!

Also, well deserved bump.

the same thing is happening with my game but I'm getting an XML Load Error
"Failed Loading XML file Assets//XML\GameInfo/CIV4PlayerOptionInfos.xml."

After clicking "ok", this pops up
"LoadXML call failed for GameInfo/CIV4PlayerOptionInfos.xml.
Current XML file is:"

I looked into the "Assets" folder in my program files and they're all empty... it's just folder apon folder with nothing in them. The game used to work fine, but then I tried installing the patch that would allow me to play online. The patch didn't finish loading... I got some other error notice that I didn't think to write down and since then, the whole game won't even load. When I had tried to delete all the program files the disc still registered as being installed so I had to go to System Recovery and reload to a previous date.

Any suggestions?..... please send me really easy instructions since I'm not that confident with my ability to mess around with my computer..

many thanks for any help

welcome to Civfanatics :band: :dance: [party] :)

which of the three games do you have? Civ4, Warlords, Beyond the Sword?
you will likely have to manually remove them - and then reinstall but I'd like to know which - in order to give a complete how to :)

I'm going to assume that was directed at me.... I've got Civ4 Game of the Year Edition... I'm assuming that it's the original with no add ons

thanks a bunch for replying so fast.... I haven't been able to play Civ4 since the beginning of May

do the following to remove any remnants - note I list all occurances of the game - some might not be there just remove everything you can find. The most important stuff is the installshield installation information.
Set Windows Explorer to show hidden files (look here for howto).
Delete "...\program files\firaxis games\sid meier's civilization 4"
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4"
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4"
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4"
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}"

Then install the most recent version of DirectX 9c from Microsoft
Then Install the game, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here), after that patch it to 1.74 (link) :)

Same prob with me, i tried to download 1.74 patch needed for multi player(or so it said) and it didnt install right, so i tried to run by game but it wouldnt start up,so i try to manually delete that patch but then that error comes up

I'm having the same issue - the only difference From SWAT's posting of the error is the last line:
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (390)
PAPP: Sid Meier's Civilization 4
PVENDOR: Firaxis Games (##IDS_PRODUCT_URL##)
PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3F8-D6E01F4112E8
$11.0.0.28844
@Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) BT_OTHER 9784.24

I've removed all registry keys relating to Firxais or Civ anything. The CFBCE key doesn't exist in my registry. I've optimized and cleaned the registry and the system. I've removed any directory and file I can find relating to Firxais or Civ anything including all of those you listed.

And I still get the same error. I'm loading Service Pack 3 now to see if THAT helps.

I had the same issue with the game working fine (other than insane levels of cheating) until I installed the latest patch. Then the game wouldn't run at all. I used the built-in-de-installer and then it wouldn't re-install.

Hopefully, SP3 will resolve the issue as I'm pretty well out of ideas otherwise. Any help or suggestions would be *GREATLY* appreciated as I love this game (even when I have the Barbarians unload 8 Macemen from a Galley that's 10 spaces from any other land in a time when I've barely got Archers. LOL)

Orion

Follow up information - No success. Installed SP3, same error. Removed ALL the InstallShield sub-folders just in case it was linked to some other hex code folder other than CFBC..Same result. (Put them all back afterwards)

Have searched through the entire registry for that key or anything relating to Civ4 or Firaxis, no luck. Have searched through all my hard drives for that key or anything relating to 'Civil' or 'Firax', and removed them all.

Have cleaned all temp files, run a Registry and System cleaner removing all temporary and unassociated files, no luck.

I've terminated all anti-virus, anti-spyware, updaters, or any other non-WinXP critical process, same result.

I've copied all the files from the CD to a hard drive and run them from there - same result.

ANY ideas? I love this game, but I'm beginning to believe that the only way to get it to run is to wipe Windows and reinstall everything - and I'll try the patch first and see if it destroys it again when it'll be easy to reinstall Windows again. LOL

HELP!

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

Orion

:hmm: this is weird:
just to check: you deleted the installshield installation information folder - not the installshield folder, right?
after you did that did you restart the computer?
what game is it (just civ4 or civ4+expansions or one of the compilations like gold edition)?

edit:
welcome to cfc :)

I deleted all the hex-coded sub-folders under "c:\program files\installshield installation information" but left that top-level folder intact (to be specific, I cut them all out of there and pasted them into c:\temp\Installshield), then rebooted, terminated all non-windows critical processes via CTRL-ALT-DEL and attempted the install again - same result. *sighs* Then I put those folders back! LOL

Attempting to re-install basic CIV4, no mods, from the boxed set CDs. CD's are intact, no obvious damage to the surface. Game worked great until I attempted to install the latest patch. Then the game wouldn't run at all. Attempted de-install via the uninstall routine that came with the game, which failed. Which left me where I'm at now...

Yah, this one is making me nuts too. I'm a programmer, so I'm going crazy! LOL I've searched all the forums I can find on this, including ones for other games with the same trouble and even the cracker sites looking for a solution.

Glad to see I'm stumping you too! I don't feel QUITE so stupid now. LOL
EDIT: Thank you! :) I'm looking forward to learning more...Assuming I can get the #@@! thing working again! I may have to just re-install Windows but I REALLY don't want to do that.

Orion

My problem is exactly the same as Orion's!

I have deleted all the Civilization folders, cleared the registry installation files as well as the Firaxis folder, and done all others steps recommended by people in this thread as well as other threads on other sites, but still I cannot reinstall!

This has all occurred since I tried to install the 1.71 patch. AGH! I want to play this game but I just don't know what to do. Can someone please help me? I really don't want to have to do a system restore!

Thanks.

Running setup.exe will not solve the problem because for some reason the game thinks it is still installed. If anyone has a solution to this problem, I would seriously appreciate it. Otherwise I may reinstall Windows. :wallbash:

I had the same problems described above and I found a solution here.

The solution is on the 2nd page. Basically you need to find your InstallShield folder and rename the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime" to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTimebak". Vanilla installed fine for me after I did this. (I have Vista x64 so it wasn't in the above location for me. I had to search for the Installshield folder).

McLMan, I tried your fix but it didn't work. Were there any other steps that you had to do besides just renaming that folder?

Top Bottom