Cannot choose production in cities at all

Ramiel

Chieftain
I've had my fair share of mods bugging out, but this is one of the most bizarre things I've seen yet, and I've no clue what to do with it. Whenever I start a new game, after founding my first city, I'm completely unable to select anything to produce in it. The menu simply won't pop up in the city screen, no matter how many times I click it. Same with the purchase menu. I've done every single thing I can think of - cleared cache and ModData, disabled and removed every other mod I have from my mod folder, checked integrity of the game files, etc. I also checked with all my other mods on and Communitas disabled, problem went away completely. The crazy thing is it was working just last night no problem, with numerous other mods even, and nothing's been changed since then. Since the game won't let me end my turn without setting something to produce it's completely unplayable, and I can barely stand the thought of playing without CEP. Any ideas?

If you could provide at least a list of the active mods. Your logs would be even better.

You say nothing has changed since you last played with those mods, well... something has definitely changed.
The CEP on Steam shouldn't have been touched for some weeks now so most likely one of your other mods is interfering with the ProductionPopup panel.

Until you give us more to go on we can't do much but offer suggestions.

Do you have the FireTuner? If so start a game with FireTuner active as well.
Place this attachment in the Debug folder of your game installation and rename it 'GameUI.ltp'
Then after you found your city TAB to the FireTuner and look at this new panel and see which popup is stuck. This may help us see which of your mods is not playing nicely with others.:mischief:

Attachments

• Game UI.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 413
I can give you a list of my mods, but as I said I've disabled and actually uninstalled all of them and the problem still persists.
I have to admit, I couldn't find anywhere resembling a Debug folder to put your file, but the main screen in FireTuner gave this error every time I clicked the button

ProductionPopup: WARN Turn 0 GetHelpTextForPromotion: stat data is nil for PROMOTION_IGNORE_TERRAIN_COST_NOUPGRADE!
Runtime Error: C:\Users\Shayne\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Communitas AI and Tools (v 3)\Tools\TooltipWriter\InfoTooltipInclude.lua:166: attempt to index local 'section' (a nil value)

Lua log seems to say the exact same thing, but I've got my logs here for you still.

List of mods I (usually) have installed, aside from CEP, though I don't always use them all at the same time.
Spoiler :
Barbarian Spawn Reduction
Capture Great People
City Limits
City-State Diplomacy Mod (with merged DLL from whoward)
Civ IV Diplomatic Features (Ditto to above)
Culturally Linked Start Locations
Culture Overview Fix
Diplomacy - City States (for merged DLL)
Diplomacy - CivIV features (Ditto)
DLL - Various Mod Components
Ethiopia Color Fix
Faster Aircraft Animations
Fortress Borders
Friendly Waters
Gibraltar and Reef Optimizations
Great Prophet Historical Names
Historical Religions Edit
InfoAddict
InGame Editor
Krajzen's Great People Pack
Krakatoa Fix
Lake Victoria Fix
More Luxuries and Optimized Resource Distribution
National Park
Natural Wonders Yields Mod
Observatory Tile Tweak
Optimized National Wonder Scaling
Promotions - Expansion Pack
R.E.D Modpack
Religion - No AI Free Pottery
War - Less Damaged Captured Cities
Wonder Race

Update: As I was typing that list, I remembered that as part of putting in the City-State Diplomacy mod, there's an option in Cat_Options.sql for Citystate Diplomacy Mod Compatability. I went and switched that back to off, started a new game, and behold! Everything worked fine. Re-enabled it, put CSD and related mods back into the game, and it stopped working again. Looks like the problem's somewhere in there, though it seems to be on the CEP side, as the same problem occurs whether or not CSD is installed. Guess I'll just remove CSD for the time being, but I hope whatever the problem is can get fixed sometime.

Update 2: Nevermind, I put back in all my mods minus CSD, started again, and got the same problem again. Now the error in FireTuner is this:

Runtime Error: C:\Users\Shayne\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Communitas AI and Tools (v 3)\Tools\TooltipWriter\TW_Init.lua:470: attempt to index global 'GameInfo' (a nil value)

Got rid of everything that used the modified DLL, and it works again. On a related note, the InGame Editor doesn't want to work at all either, and every time I click to open it it pops up an error message referencing a line somewhere in Communitas AI & Tools. But not having IGE isn't a game-killer for me. I believe the error it gives is:

IGE_Window: C:\Users\Shayne\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Communitas AI and Tools (v 3)\Tools\TooltipWriter\TW_Init.lua:123: attempt to index a nil value

Attachments

• Logs.7z
    25.6 KB · Views: 114
Did you disable USING_CSD when not using CSD and enable it when you were? Just making sure were these errors are coming from.

Could you try running CEP + CSD together with USING_CSD enabled to confirm that there isn't a problem with the two?

What version of CEP are you using? From reading your edits I can say with 97.6% certainty that this is a mod compatibility error with one of the mods.

Ahh whenever stackpointer gives specific certainties like that its a fair bet he's on to it.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Whenever I start a new game, after founding my first city, I'm completely unable to select anything to produce in it.

This happens to me (without any other mods) whenever I press 'restart'/'refresh map' instead of going back into the main menu to restart the map. It also happens whenever I load up an autosave/quicksave from within the game.

The solution is simple: save the game, then exit to the main menu and load the game.

Thus, if you wanted to press restart a few times to find a good starting location, you do it like this:
1 - start a CEP modded game.
2 - choose 'restart' map until you find a starting location with five salt and three marble - note you can't build anything or advance to turn 2 since you pressed restart.
3 - when you are happy, save the game at turn 1 (or use the autosave)
4 - exit to main menu, reload the mod(s) and load the game - now you can produce!

This is a result the way Firaxis initializes the lua code in stages.

Some is loaded at the main menu and the rest, including most of the mod code is done at the selection of the mods in the mod selection screen. The remainder is upon game start.

This is the reason why GEM had the 'Load Game' option removed and why in the future CEP will too.

Having to jump through hoops like that to get the 'best' starting location surely takes away the joy of the game? Why not just play it out as it is? Better yet, why not use the Communitas Map, it has much better resource placement algorithms than vanilla and your first city rarely is placed on a 'dud' location.

Top Bottom