The Tribal Elders of Delphi

The chief minister nods sagely at the advice and recognises its wisdom.

“I am very pleased to receive your counsel. In truth I have never trusted the Siamese, and will prioritise the construction of a grand army with which to repulse them.”

Melda leads the young man to a sturdy table with a thick wax surface, upon which are etched letters, symbols and diagrams.

“These are the recent discoveries of our wise thinkers, as well as some predictions they have for the future. Our wise men believe the working of iron will completely change our society.”

Spoiler :

The chief minister hands the younger man a parchment scroll sealed with wax.

“This is for your uncle. For when he is able.”

The two share a significant glance. Melda can tell the younger man is constantly evaluating him and the situation, trying to work out the ruler’s angles and agendas.

“Lord,” the nephew suddenly bows and takes his leave. The chief minister stares into the distance after he departs. Soon, he thinks.

((Please check your personal message for the contents of that scroll. :p

Also, The Meldanian Highway — I like it :D))

((So if I don't hear back from the council by exactly one week from my last 'term' post --- just under two days away --- I'll be prioritising military units, and I'm thinking of teching straight to steel and physics to give us longswordsmen and trebuchets. Any objections or thoughts?

Religion-wise, I'm leaning toward faith healers (to aid in defence, and also to help in our war with Siam if we gain the allegiance of the city-state right next to them), monument to the gods (for building wonders) or stone circles (since we have plenty of stone and marble around). Your thoughts? :)))

I just got here so have some catching up to do, can I get the save?

My only advice without seeing the save is to not get faith healers. Stone circles would be great if we have "plenty" (like 4) of stone and marble, or monument to the gods since I like to grab wonders and its still early enough to help grab a few ancient/classical ones.

I just got here so have some catching up to do, can I get the save?

((I'm on my notebook computer at the moment (savegame is on the desktop upstairs) so I'll get that to you in a few hours.

Since you have advice for me I'll hold off on playing my final five turns until tomorrow this time. :)))

My only advice without seeing the save is to not get faith healers. Stone circles would be great if we have "plenty" (like 4) of stone and marble, or monument to the gods since I like to grab wonders and its still early enough to help grab a few ancient/classical ones.

((Happy to junk faith healers. Regarding stone circles we have three stone (one quarried at Delphi Nova, one not yet quarried at Delphi Nova, one not yet quarried at Dostana) and one marble (quarried at Delphi Nova). If we're going to ramp up military production I don't know what opportunities we're going to have to build Ancient/Classical wonders.))

((Edit: Also, I'm pretty damned excited about the prospect of email notifications working again. :D))

((As requested here is the current savegame.

I will play out my final five turns around this time tomorrow.

Please give me any advice you might have. :)))

Edit: Removed attachment because I have attached a more recent one further downthread.

Just got a mail notification for Melda's pm, thanks for the heads up on this Melda. I will try to catch up on this later today. I doubt I can be of any help (prince player, no real knowledge on specific strategies or higher level of play), but I really enjoy the story and the bits of learning from you guys. And I can always voice the ignorant people ofcourse (hue hue).

With the notifications not working properly, we could consider setting up a small mailing list, for anyone interested, or perhaps a facebook group, or drive folder (or whatever) that would allow us to share the latest files, or updates that actually have working notifications. The game and story, of course, would still be happening here, but we could share outside the links for the latest updates. Anyone interested?

Just got a mail notification for Melda's pm, thanks for the heads up on this Melda.

((No problem ;)))

With the notifications not working properly, we could consider setting up a small mailing list, for anyone interested, or perhaps a facebook group, or drive folder (or whatever) that would allow us to share the latest files, or updates that actually have working notifications. The game and story, of course, would still be happening here, but we could share outside the links for the latest updates. Anyone interested?

Sounds like a viable plan. :)

I just took a quick look and war with Siam looks like a good idea, they got us hemmed in. I've never played Assyria before but their "free tech with city capture" should help us from falling behind while we fight. I like that our UU is a siege unit, pretty anxious to try that out.

As for the religion upgrade I think Stone Circles might be best since we'll capture even more stone and marble from Siam.

We will need a lot more units to capture cities though. How about building Terra Cotta army in Kirrha? That will take 22 turns or so and doubles our land military strength. In that time we can build and purchase at least 6 mores units in our other cities. That might give us the larges army in the game.

I just took a quick look and war with Siam looks like a good idea, they got us hemmed in. I've never played Assyria before but their "free tech with city capture" should help us from falling behind while we fight. I like that our UU is a siege unit, pretty anxious to try that out.

As for the religion upgrade I think Stone Circles might be best since we'll capture even more stone and marble from Siam.

We will need a lot more units to capture cities though. How about building Terra Cotta army in Kirrha? That will take 22 turns or so and doubles our land military strength. In that time we can build and purchase at least 6 mores units in our other cities. That might give us the larges army in the game.

((I like this. :)

Stone circles are what I'm going to go with.

I want to start building military units, and I think Dostana's going to be pretty busy with growing so won't be much use there. So maybe Terra Cotta Army at Kirrha, then once Delphi Nova is done with pyramids it can be the primary army-producing city.

Will post and update later tonight (my time; so in just a few hours).))

Edit: Correction on that timeframe. It's getting late here so I'll get to it tomorrow during the day (so, say, twelve to fifteen hours or so from the timestamp of this post?). If anyone has any further advice for my final turn as chief minister please feel free to share it before then!

Here follows the account of Melda, Chief Minister of the Delphian kingdom and loyal steward of the rightful heir to the throne.

In accordance with the advice rendered by the council I proceeded forward.

My fourth term as chief minister passed with many setbacks, offset to some extent by some achievements.

Turn 1 — game turn 95 / 550 BCE

Kirrha building Terracotta Army. Will be done in 22 turns.

Spoiler :

Pythas's scouts continued west, following the coast to the south of the Polish lands.

Spoiler :

Hellenism has now been established as the official religion of the Delphian kingdom! Its tenets include the building of stone circles, church property and holy warriors.

Spoiler :

((Incidentally, we have now jumped up a lot on the scoreboard to second place. Not bad!))

Spoiler :

Turn 2 — game turn 96 / 475 BCE

I bring terrible news. The Shoshone have completed Terracotta Army, which means Kirrha can no longer do this. And the Polish have completed the Pyramids, foiling Delphi Nova's efforts. We have received money in compensation for our efforts, but I do not feel it was worth it. I misstepped in steering us toward these ventures, for which I take full responsibility.

In preparation for our army-building efforts, and since our cities were not going to be able to start work on them for some time before receiving these terrible tidings, I have taken the decision to construct barracks in both Delphi Nova and Kirrha. Once they are fully constructed, we can commence the establishment of highly-skilled armed forces. Delphi Nova will be ready to start recruiting troops in 8 turns, Kirrha 6.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I now have no ideas as to how we are to gain influence over Milan. If opportunities arise I will take them but for now I am flummoxed.

Turn 3 — game turn 97 / 450 BCE

Pytheas's scouts reached as far westward as they could before encroaching on Polish territory. I have requested they bear back north and look for gaps to sneak through without risking war.

Spoiler :

Turn 4 — game turn 98 / 425 BCE

Our great thinkers have determined how to make iron from rock. It is most wondrous. Some are even saying we have entered the age of iron. I'm not sure about that, but what we may now do is replace our warriors' stone axes with iron swords!

Spoiler :

I instructed our great thinkers to turn their minds towards further refinement of metal which should result in productivity improvements.

Spoiler :

Turn 5 — game turn 99 / 400 BCE

The Dutch have founded another strange, one-god religion in Amsterdam. Many-gods religions like ours are become the minority. Some have asked me if displeases the great Kong the Magnificent, head of the Delphian pantheon. I choose to leave such theological matters to the priests.

Spoiler :

Other than receiving this news there were no major decisions to be made at this time.

Convocation of the Delphian Council — game turn 100 / 375 BCE

A great traveller has compiled a work in which he describes Siam, the Netherlands and the Delphian Kingdom as the least wondrous places to visit. An insult, to be sure, on the back of the failure of two wonders recently under construction in the kingdom.

Spoiler :

Pytheas's scouts found a passage through Polish lands, an unprotected gap between Warsaw and Wroclaw.

Spoiler :

Our influence with Zurich, an ally of the hated Siamese, has lowered to the point where we are almost no longer friends. However, my sources within the city-state indicate that we will swing back into favour with them 12 turns because of the piety demonstrated by the Delphian people.

Spoiler :

The people of Dostana want gold connected to our trade network. As we have no gold deposits within our territory the only way this will be achieved is through international trade.

Spoiler :

Where things currently stand:

The Delphian people remain generally happy.

Our wise thinkers should have worked out how to make metal casing in 10 turns.

Delphi Nova's barracks will be complete in 4 turns, Kirrha's in 2. At that point I think we can start training troops en masse. Dostana will have fishing boats in 3 turns. The original plan was for it to construct Petra, but I will leave it to wiser minds than mine to determine if this should still go ahead.

With regard to growth, the capital is to grow larger in 2 turns, Kirrha in 17 turns and Dostana in 1 turn.

The Delphian people will next tolerate social change in 17 turns.

I took the liberty as chief minister to upgrade our warriors to swordsmen; they have now traded in their stone axes for iron swords and shields. They will one day make the other kingdoms tremble in fear at their might.

Spoiler :

Ultimately, apart from the official founding of our state religion the only other thing I can be proud of from this term in office is that construction of the King's Road, or 'Meldanian Highway' as some have taken to calling it, progresses well. It will take many years until it is completed, but I believe it is an important and essential piece of infrastructure which will make all Delphians proud.

Spoiler :

Here ends the fourth term of Melda, Chief Minister of the Delphian kingdom and loyal steward of the rightful heir to the throne.

I bear promising and heartening news regarding the royal line. I can confirm the former King Kong II is alive and well, however in my estimation he lacks the capacity to rule again. But I wish to commend to this august body the former king's nephew, who is young, strong and fit to rule.

O Great Council of the Delphian Kingdom, I hereby resign as chief minister of this great kingdom and beseech you to decide upon whether the former great king's nephew is worthy. Or if any others believe themselves to have the requisite blood to rule as anax, let them speak and be judged by the council!

Melda, the former chief minister, waited patiently while the council deliberated. Despite the setbacks in his most recent term in office he felt contented. Years before he had reached these lands as a foreigner. In that time he had married a local Delphian woman and sired many children. But only now at his retirement as he ran his hands through his greying hair and beard, with his duty complete and successfully discharged did he finally feel like a Delphian.

((Despite comments about bloodlines and the council, anyone can nominate themselves as a candidate and anyone can vote on the candidates. The following timeframes apply to this nomination/election period:

• Nominations close within five days from the timestamp of this post.
  • If no other nominations are received I will continue on as chief minister for another two terms (thankfully unlikely now we have activity back in the thread! :D).
  • If at least one other nomination is received within the five day limit, there will be two days of voting and the winner will be leader of the Delphian kingdom.

Bring on the nominations! :)))

((Please disregard this post (251). I was testing my signature and didn't realise I couldn't delete this post afterward.))

Grand Chief Minister Melda, the Delphian people thank your rule on the last few years. While the base strategy failed, we are healthy and prosperous, and we shall shine on the next few years. Who will step up and guide us on a grand age of growth?

(too bad it didn't go exactly as planned, but you salvaged this pretty well I'd say. Since this is a higher difficulty, war will be inevitable right?)

Grand Chief Minister Melda, the Delphian people thank your rule on the last few years. While the base strategy failed, we are healthy and prosperous, and we shall shine on the next few years. Who will step up and guide us on a grand age of growth?

Much thanks to you for these kind words. :)

Since this is a higher difficulty, war will be inevitable right?

((I believe so. But even if it weren't, my approach would be to conquer Siam anyway. Which is hilarious, because in another scenario I play a pacifist! :lol:))

The former chief minister, Melda of Islandia, entered the Delphian Council. The council members ceased their discussion immediately and looked over at the disturbance.

"My apologies, great men of the council, but there are urgent constitutional matters to discuss. I will not take up much of your time. I will leave you to your deliberations after I share with you these tidings . . ."

------------------------

((out of character here follows))

It is now one calendar month after I introduced the following game rule changes. The consultation period has now finished. As a recap, here they are along with the outcomes:

Melda playthrough suggestion 2

Consultation period: 1 calendar month from this post

Short version: If a leader has an undeclared absence from the forum of at least one calendar month their term will be forfeited and the game will roll back to the most recent save game.

Long version: This is to codify an official response to situations like the end of last year. If we don’t have a leader able to carry out their term of office, we roll back to the most recent save game and call a new election.

Outcome: This suggestion has passed in the affirmative. If the current leader of the game is missing for at least one calendar month their term is forfeited and the game rolls back tot he most recent same game. Another election is held to determine a replacement (if no-one nominates to rule within 41 hours I have a new game rule suggestion to modify this).

Melda playthrough suggestion 3

Short version: Highly conditional relaxation of term limits when no other candidates are nominated.

Long version: Rulers are term limited and this should remain. However if a ruler who has won two consecutive elections calls an election and no candidates nominate within the five day window, they should themselves serve an additional emergency term to keep play ticking over. However this should only be in exceptional circumstances as outlined above, and should only go until the next scheduled election (technically two terms, since there are two terms between each election). If the exceptional circumstances continue, refer to Melda playthrough suggestion 4.

Outcome: This suggestion has passed in the affirmative. Term limits normally remain as prescribed in the opening post but if at the third consecutive election no other candidates nominate the current ruler has another two-term run as an emergency measure to hold the game over until the next election. It is hoped at that point at least one other candidate will nominate will nominate at the next election (if no-one nominates to rule within 41 hours I have a new game rule suggestion to modify this).

Melda playthrough suggestion 4

Short version: If an already over-limit ruler cannot find any nominees the game should end.

Long version: This is dependent upon the acceptance of Melda playthrough suggestion 3. If a ruler has faced three consecutive elections, which is not a normal state of affairs, and at the time of the fourth consecutive election no candidates are nominated the ruler should freeze the game and wait until a candidate is nominated. If no nominations are received within a calendar month from the calling of the election then I think it might be time to wrap up the game and retire because activity levels will have officially reached zero.

Outcome: This suggestion has passed in the negative. The game will not automatically end. If after an unprecedented six terms in office if no other candidates put themselves forward the incumbent may take on another emergency two terms in office (if no-one nominates to rule within 41 hours I have a new game rule suggestion to modify this).

-----

As said, I have some ideas of how to make the game run smoother and to reignite interest and activity. However it will change the nature of the game so I'll wait to see if anyone nominates within the required timeframe first. 41 hours to go! :)

Ok, sounds like a plan to me. If necessary, i can play a term just to keep the game going, but it should be heavily influenced by the rest of the people here (seems like we're very few at the moment).

Melda, the former chief minister stood in the midst of the ranks of the Delphian Council.

"And this is your final decision?" he asked, seeking clarification.

The council affirmed it was.

He was surprised, as he thought the former king's nephew would be selected by the council for certain. He wondered what had transpired in the council's session but not being a member of the council he had no say in it one way or the other. The council must have had very sound reasons for their decision.

"So be it," he declared, acceding to the will of the council. "If the council has no objection I would like to commend my eldest son Melodios to serve as chief minister until such time as the leader wishes to replace him."

The chamber agreed with the suggestion.

---------------------------

((Okay, Miguel, you're up. ;)

I'm going to post the samegame tomorrow, but in the meantime we can discuss what comes next. :)

I am happy to serve you as chief minister if you would like my advice.))

"I wish to be the first to congratulate the new Chief Minister on his elevation. I hope I am not taking liberties by presenting my humble observations before he has had a chance to address the council but on my journey to our glorious capitol I could not help but notice that a number of our citizens toil on unimproved tiles, nearly half of them in fact. I wonder if an army of workers to conquer our vast resources should proceed an army of soldiers to conquer or deserving neighbors?"

We currently have 6 citizens working unimproved tiles and a number of unimproved resources. We also could make immediate use of 3-4 work boats. Two workers is too few at this point in the game. I think it should be doubled. I also think our workers should cancel the road projects for now and focus on tile improvements.

The road between Nova and Dostona is a poor investment at this time. It is 6 tiles long and due to the small population in Dostona will likely not even cover the costs of maintaing it.

I'd also like to foster closer ties with the Shoshone. They built the Terra Cotta army and are quite strong as well as being a neighbor of Siam. They will currently trade gems for cotton which will give us additional happiness as well as help build a friendship.

"I wish to be the first to congratulate the new Chief Minister on his elevation. I hope I am not taking liberties by presenting my humble observations before he has had a chance to address the council but on my journey to our glorious capitol I could not help but notice that a number of our citizens toil on unimproved tiles, nearly half of them in fact. I wonder if an army of workers to conquer our vast resources should proceed an army of soldiers to conquer or deserving neighbors?"

We currently have 6 citizens working unimproved tiles and a number of unimproved resources. We also could make immediate use of 3-4 work boats. Two workers is too few at this point in the game. I think it should be doubled. I also think our workers should cancel the road projects for now and focus on tile improvements.

The road between Nova and Dostona is a poor investment at this time. It is 6 tiles long and due to the small population in Dostona will likely not even cover the costs of maintaing it.

I'd also like to foster closer ties with the Shoshone. They built the Terra Cotta army and are quite strong as well as being a neighbor of Siam. They will currently trade gems for cotton which will give us additional happiness as well as help build a friendship.

I thank you for your kind words and feedback. Let us discuss it further.

-----------

((If I'd just managed to build the pyramids in time we'd have four workers! :sad:

Those are some really good points. I agree with everything except the complete scrapping of the road project. I do take your point, though. Perhaps if we cancel the capital-to-Dostana line and divert the worker to making tile improvements, but leave the capital-to-Kirrha line going so we get some benefit from the investment made so far? What do you think?

Also, 1889 and Miguel, I didn't know what to call you in-character so I sidestepped mentioning names. :p))

Postponing the Dostana road is what I had in mind. If that worker builds farms first then Dostana will grow and the road will be more viable.

Top Bottom