[BtS]40 civs-allows colonies AND 34 civs

Hmm, where exactly did you look? There should be several dlls for vanilla, I know I downloaded at least two when I still played vanilla. Check NeverMind's "XXL World", I think it has a vanilla version (haven't checked though).

Regarding your second question: If you know how to set up a C++ compiler, it's easy. If you can live without colonies in games where you already start with the max number of civs, then you only have to change one line in the source code, then recompile. If you don't know how to set up a compiler, then it can be quite a hassle, but there's a tutorial by Kael floating around on these forums.

Aren't there only 18 civs in Vanilla Civ anyway? I thought that Warlords jumped it up to 24 or something like that, and then BtS 34.

Hmm, where exactly did you look? There should be several dlls for vanilla, I know I downloaded at least two when I still played vanilla. Check NeverMind's "XXL World", I think it has a vanilla version (haven't checked though).

Regarding your second question: If you know how to set up a C++ compiler, it's easy. If you can live without colonies in games where you already start with the max number of civs, then you only have to change one line in the source code, then recompile. If you don't know how to set up a compiler, then it can be quite a hassle, but there's a tutorial by Kael floating around on these forums.
XXL World only allows more than 18 civs in warlords and bts. digging into the sdk now (with all tools on hand). let's hope i can understand half of what this jumble means.

Fiend777Fits: If you're trying to just increase the number of players in vanilla civ you only need to make one change to the source code. In CvDefines.h change the value for "#define MAX_CIV_PLAYERS" from 18 to whatever value you want.

I have more changes in my mod because of the colonies added in BtS and because I add an optional modification to "global warming"

Fiend777Fits: If you're trying to just increase the number of players in vanilla civ you only need to make one change to the source code. In CvDefines.h change the value for "#define MAX_CIV_PLAYERS" from 18 to whatever value you want.

Excellent, that's exactly what I'd like to do. How do I get that (recompile) that one change into the dll?

Excellent, that's exactly what I'd like to do. How do I get that (recompile) that one change into the dll?

You make the one change using any sort of editor then you need to recompile with Visual Studio, preferably 2003. It's probably possible to compile it with another C compiler but I've never tried. Somebody was trying to get the code to compile with the free version of Visual Studio 2005 that Microsoft has for download but I don't know if they got it to work.

You make the one change using any sort of editor then you need to recompile with Visual Studio, preferably 2003. It's probably possible to compile it with another C compiler but I've never tried. Somebody was trying to get the code to compile with the free version of Visual Studio 2005 that Microsoft has for download but I don't know if they got it to work.

Oh crap. I don't have that. That should be available for really cheap somewhere shouldn't it?

Oh crap. I don't have that. That should be available for really cheap somewhere shouldn't it?

The full Visual Studio is an expensive development tool. Like I said though Microsoft offers a free downloadable version of Visual C++ 2005 (The only part of Visual Studio you need) and somebody was working on making the dll compile in that.

Bhruic released 1.10 of his patch, doesnt appear to contain anything critical tho. Any idea if it'll work with ongoing games using 1.09 version of this mod? (Once you compile it)

I have more changes in my mod because of the colonies added in BtS and because I add an optional modification to "global warming"
thanks a bunch

Do anyone now a computer that will run smothly whith 34+ civs in a game, I am loking for a good computer that can handel 34+ civs whithout problems so if anyone can help I wold aprishiate it.

You should definitely go for 2GB RAM, and if possible Win 2k or at least Win XP. Enough CPU power (~4 Ghz) wont hurt either.

But remember: whats slowing down is not only the number of civs: its the number of cities and units as well. So 34 civs on a small map might actualy work better then 18 civs on an ultra huge map.

You should definitely go for 2GB RAM, and if possible Win 2k or at least Win XP. Enough CPU power (~4 Ghz) wont hurt either.

But remember: whats slowing down is not only the number of civs: its the number of cities and units as well. So 34 civs on a small map might actualy work better then 18 civs on an ultra huge map.

Do you think this will work? Packard Bell iXtreme J9426
or do you think this will work? Packard Bell iXtreme J9422

Hmm, I was able to look up the Packard Bell iXtreme J9422 from a swedish dator säljare.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz / 2048MB / 500GB / DVDRW / Win Vista Home Premium

Till the Vista point it does indeed sound ok IF Civ 4 can make good use of a dual core (I think so). Win Vista will use up a very significant amount of ressources, so actually you might be better of to install a copy of Win 2k in a separat partition just for playing "older" games like Civ 4 (older meaning games not explicitely written for Vista).

Civ 4 will definitely run under Windows Vista. BUT: Windows Vista is soo overboarding big that it will leave to little space for other programms. The limiting factor here is the 32 bit, 2GB screwup of all windows 32 bit systems.

Civ IV makes no use of dual core and that system will not run a large map with 18 civs very well at all. Beginning stagfes will be fine, but when you hit 1,000 total units it will cringe.

Ok then you are basically talking about a 2Ghz system with an overblown windows -> happy playing small maps. ;)

Your best bet for Civ 4 would be a single core 4 Ghz+ system with 2 Gb RAM and best Win 2k running on it. A decent GPU on top of that, and you've got the maximum resources Civ 4 can use with the lowest resource demands from Windows.

Right jpinard?

My 3.8 Ghz AMD with 3 GB (only 2 GB do count) and Win XP is doing fairly well even with rather huge maps. Of course MAF is showing its ugly face lategam still.

Ok then you are basically talking about a 2Ghz system with an overblown windows -> happy playing small maps. ;)

Your best bet for Civ 4 would be a single core 4 Ghz+ system with 2 Gb RAM and best Win 2k running on it. A decent GPU on top of that, and you've got the maximum resources Civ 4 can use with the lowest resource demands from Windows.

Right jpinard?

My 3.8 Ghz AMD with 3 GB (only 2 GB do count) and Win XP is doing fairly well even with rather huge maps. Of course MAF is showing its ugly face lategam still.

Yep. My highly OC'ed 3.3 Ghz dual-core system has trouble mid/late game on super huge maps.

Top Bottom