Game Options Discussion

The extra espionage options are nice, I keep them on.

I can't think of the game without Spy Upgrades.

For once I thought it was broken because of the cumulative nature of the Deception promotion.

I also supported the idea I saw Embryodead using in SoI that although the promotions added up, they could never reach 100% evasion.

But then when the AI learned from my spies and caught my Deception III I realized I was wrong. Using the counter-espionage mission, your own defending spies (with the counter-espionage promotion as well) and buildings that help thwart enemy spies makes it possible to catch any spies, including the Deception III ones.

BTW, is there a better scout then a Counter-Spy III? +3 visibility on a unit that can't be attacked and only may die if it's on foreign territory (including vassal territory, but not including neutral territory and the territory of players in a permanent alliance with you). I love it :thumbsup:

I'll raise my hand. I don't use it. But my single vote is meaningless anyway. Carry on.

JosEPh:crazyeye::old:

Bribe and assassinate.

JosEPh

Bribe and assassinate.

JosEPh

Can you expand? Because it sounds like ethical reason more than gameplay reason. I don't want any misunderstanding. So please expand so your vote can be considered better.

Can you expand? Because it sounds like ethical reason more than gameplay reason. I don't want any misunderstanding. So please expand so your vote can be considered better.

I've never used Assassinate, but I've used Bribe City a few times. It's been useless more often than not and a general waste of Espionage Points.

Advanced Espionage has good points to it as well, and since the AI apparently has zero clue as to these options even existing, I don't see the harm in it. Except of course, the 'temptation' to use them being there ;)

I've never used Assassinate, but I've used Bribe City a few times. It's been useless more often than not and a general waste of Espionage Points.

Advanced Espionage has good points to it as well, and since the AI apparently has zero clue as to these options even existing, I don't see the harm in it. Except of course, the 'temptation' to use them being there ;)

Are you sure AI don't see and use these added missions?

Are you sure AI don't see and use these added missions?

I have never, ever, ever, ever seen the AI use one. I saw an AI with over 100,000 esp points, and it used it to steal the Invisibility tech from me. That's the 'worst' I've seen the AI do. Steal techs > Poison / War Rallies > then finally the 'annoying' Pillage Improvement.

I've seen them sabotage buildings and production as well, but that's it. Now granted, I mostly play on Noble and have been moving up to Prince, but I don't know if difficulty level affects what missions they'll carry out.

If they do know of and can use Assassinate or Bribe City, I've yet to see them do so since the earliest AND 2.0 days.

The AI sucks at espionage, period. It's long been an area I wanted to revisit, but I always have higher priorities.

The AI is fond of using the Support Rebel Faction. It happened in 2 distinct games of mine, and the AI uses it a lot!

I've read a tip once that the AI will be better at espionage if you use it a lot. The more you use it, the more the AI will use it against you. This tip may be on the tip menu of civilopedia.

BTW, on my rev 739 game, I have spies in several fortresses on my border with the enemy, and some spies inside special cities that they like to target, and I'm constantly catching their spies. It's on Deity, and it's fierce on espionage TBH, fiercer then LoR used to be.

One of my neighbours was constantly using the Pillage Improvement action on me - the same marble quarry over and over again. So, they can use that one, at least.

I can attest they the AI likes to Support Rebel Factions. Though their choice of cities seems random at best.

Bribe and assassinate.

JosEPh

Assassinate can be turned off in BUG menu - it is always off for me.
Bribe is very expensive and 99% of cases it means war, so it is not an exploit - even if the AI is not using it.

I thought you get auto-declared when you bribe a city? I once bribed a Dutch city and I got declared by the AI.

I thought you get auto-declared when you bribe a city? I once bribed a Dutch city and I got declared by the AI.

No, you get get a big diplo penalty, that usually leads to war. But sometimes, when the relation is good enough and/or you are much more powerful than the opponent, the AI may choose cowardly to not declare war. On the second bribe it surely will :)

I usually bribe a city as a mean to declare war. And sometimes surprised to see no war declaration :lol:

For me Assassination mission can improved in this way. Make it very expensive. Make success at 33% chance. Then that mission is to assassinate the leader of the civ. Success means Anarchy for specific turns, scaled to speed.

That's my crazy idea :lol:.

Top Bottom