Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Is there any Windows 8 PDF apps that don't force you to use the metro interface? The built in PDF reader on Win 8 annoys me because it forces me into a metro interface and I can just pin the pdf to the side of my screen for side by side viewing, I have to switch into the app to see a pdf.

Grab at top of screen, drag to side of screen, adjust size as appropriate.

If you're on the latest update you can also click the window control in the top left corner for snapping options:

Spoiler :

Not really useful unless you've disabled the left-hand multitasking bar though, otherwise you have to be really precise with the mouse to not have the multitasking bar pop up in your way.

Is there any Windows 8 PDF apps that don't force you to use the metro interface? The built in PDF reader on Win 8 annoys me because it forces me into a metro interface and I can just pin the pdf to the side of my screen for side by side viewing, I have to switch into the app to see a pdf.

I use PDFXchange currently. I formerly used Foxit Reader, but switched when it started including too many toolbars and whatnot in the installer. Either of those, as well as Adobe Reader, has desktop versions that ought to work with Windows 8. At least PDFXchange and Adobe Reader (probably Foxit, too) also have browser plugins that should work in desktop browsers.

I keep getting pop ups from certain programs on my computer (like McAfee and QuickTime.) The thing is, they always pop up when I'm gaming, causing my computer to crash. Is there any way to stop this.

What Zelig said. John McAfee, the founder of McAfee, recommends uninstalling McAfee as well. I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials instead, or perhaps Avira or Avast if you aren't an MSE fan. If you want to go with a paid anti-virus, Kaspersky is among the most highly-recommended ones.

If McAfee's pop-ups are about real viruses, however, and not just false positives or trying to get you to buy the latest version, you might still get pop-ups with whatever you replace it with. In that case, the only real solution is cleaning out the existing viruses and learning how to better avoid them in the future.

As for a QuickTime replacement, I guess it depends on what you are using it for. It may be possible to play the files you are playing via VLC, for example, perhaps with a codec such as the CCCP. If QuickTime really is required, there probably is a way to disable the Apple update service (assuming that the pop-ups are about updates). I can't tell you exactly how to do this, as the version of QuickTime I have is almost 20 years old and thus pre-dates the Apple update service. I only have it so I can play Oregon Trail.

The FB mobile app on my phone forcibly reset my news feed options back to "top stories" order yet again. :rolleyes: The problem is, it almost always takes a hundred times to get it back to display posts in my news feed by chronology permanently. How do I get the "order by date" option to stick the first time I switch it back?

Anybody know how to get rid of text in your quick reply box? I accidentally clicked the "reply to this message in quick reply" and now I literally cannot quote anything as whenever I hit "reply" or "quote" it brings in the quoted message in the quick reply box. I cleared my cookies and have restarted my browser a couple times and it's not done anything.

I also can't edit anything as whenever I hit the edit button all the text in my post reverts to the quick reply box.

The FB mobile app on my phone forcibly reset my news feed options back to "top stories" order yet again. :rolleyes: The problem is, it almost always takes a hundred times to get it back to display posts in my news feed by chronology permanently. How do I get the "order by date" option to stick the first time I switch it back?

Mine also does this. I gave it up on trying to keep track of stuff chronologically. I must trust FB algorithms to display the most "important" stuff I guess. Tech is odd.

Naturally! (You mean inexplicably.)

Anybody know how to get rid of text in your quick reply box? I accidentally clicked the "reply to this message in quick reply" and now I literally cannot quote anything as whenever I hit "reply" or "quote" it brings in the quoted message in the quick reply box. I cleared my cookies and have restarted my browser a couple times and it's not done anything.

I also can't edit anything as whenever I hit the edit button all the text in my post reverts to the quick reply box.
I'd expect that kind of bug to go away after you actually make a post. Which you did, so the problem went away.

I'd expect that kind of bug to go away after you actually make a post. Which you did, so the problem went away.

I had made posts before that though and it hadn't gone away after those.

I'm trying to get my browser to save a password for a particular account, but the "save password?" pop up just won't show up, and I can't find any option anywhere in Firefox's options to let me save the password manually. How do I force it to let me save my new password for my new account?

Top Bottom