Kill it with fire!! (top 5 DOW on sight civs)

1. India. I freakin' hate Ghandi's simpering.
2. Austria. She's just a manipulative B***.
3. Venice. He's read too much Machiavelli.
4. Siam. Just on principal.
5. Byzantium. Theodora and I have this love / hate relationship.

I find that the ones who need to die on sight fall into two categories:

1) The Classical Era Trifecta - Rome, Greece, Carthage - These guys are rapid expanders, have early UUs, and love to backstab.

2) The Inevitable Runaways - Persia, Iroquois, Siam - If they're not killed quickly, they cover the map in free-AI-Happiness-boosted ghettos and go buckwild to SV.

Very true. I always have more trouble with the runaways than the early aggresors. Have you encountered Poland yet? I've had games where he made the Hiawatha's ICS look conservative.

...slams denouncements up your butt for the rest of history...

This literally made me laugh out loud.

Really? Nobody else is as annoyed with Attila and those battering rams? On higher difficulty he spams so many of them that it can be hard to destroy all of them before they smash through your outer cities.

Haven't had a problem with Atilla yet, but also haven't started on his continent. Ram spam truly sounds like a nightmare.

1.) Austria. There can be no peace with Austria. That's my policy since G&K.
2.) Anyone who founds a city five tiles away from my capital or the weakest guy in my vicinity who dares to adopt Liberty.
3.) England and/or Russia because they always fall under 2.
4.) Mongolia. Sooner or later they will atack my friendly/allied city states.
5.) Venice. Haven't encountered them as an AI opponent yet, but they look like a worse version of Austria. At least you can kill their merchants.

I only have one, Alex!! The reason is simple, he more than any AI calls me his favorite City State all the time. I mean I can have 4 or more cities and this creep still calls me City State. I know it is just an AI, I should ignore it. However, I find I cannot ignore it.

I'm pretty sure he's not calling you a city-state. When you pledge to protect a city-state and an AI who doesn't like you keeps demanding tribute from them, they will sometimes say that to you. Or is it allies?

But my hitlist is basically the same as the OP. Just played a Venice game yesterday where I immediately attacked Hiawatha who was like 10 tiles from my capital. He's not so bad if he's right next to you and you can kill him before he gets mohawk warriors.

For me it is:

1.- Songhai (aggro mofo as hell)
2.- Spain (stupid aggro )
3.- Persia (wait until they get a Golden Age to be backstabbed)
4.- Japan (can never get any diplomatic arrangement to work)
5.- Aztecs (aggro since first encounter)

Honorable mention: America (Just because)

1. Whoever starts close to me when I play as Venice and decides to expand in my direction. VENETIAN cities of Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka? Why not. It's still not "on sight", but a conflict is pretty much guaranteed.

2. Ramesses, The Constantly Runnin' Away Lord of the Wonderstealers. This guy steals wonders I wanted, I steal the capital with the wonders and still profit. (not as much, because the free SP from Oracle is still gone, but well! We should all take what we can get :( )

3. Whoever stole too many wonders I wanted may become a target.

4. Whoever is very annoying to me while being in my path to victory.

5. Whoever has good luxury/strategic resources I need in his lands.

I rarely hate on civs themselves. I typically look at how everyone is doing this game, how dangerous are they and if I can benefit from a relationship, or if I should be aggressive.

So far from my experience,

1) Greece. ( Kill it. Suffocate it before they grow out of hand. Unless you enjoy being completely dominated in the World Congress. Destroy them not later but NOW!)
2) Ottomans. At least in my game, they are the new Iroquois. Becoming an extremely huge empire in 4 of my games so far and being incredibly resistant to tourism.
3) Egypt. Let them grab a couple of wonders first though and then strike them when they least expect it. They are city spammers and will soon rob you of all the nice place to settle.
4) Korea. Surprising but they are strangely aggressive and for a good reason. Usually the battle ends up in their favor due to their ridiculous tech advantage. Definitely somebody to watch out for.

So far i have the fortune of not meeting a Poland yet. AI Shaka tends to do well early and mid game but they get piled on in late game just like Mongolia so they are not really a problem.

I'd be mindful of the assyrians. Those seige towers at mathematics are way more deadly than attila's battering rams. In the hands of a human, I'd suspect Assyria to be as deadly as china, only MUCH sooner because machinery is still a ways down the tech tree.

So far from my experience,

1) Greece. ( Kill it. Suffocate it before they grow out of hand. Unless you enjoy being completely dominated in the World Congress. Destroy them not later but NOW!)
2) Ottomans. At least in my game, they are the new Iroquois. Becoming an extremely huge empire in 4 of my games so far and being incredibly resistant to tourism.
3) Egypt. Let them grab a couple of wonders first though and then strike them when they least expect it. They are city spammers and will soon rob you of all the nice place to settle.
4) Korea. Surprising but they are strangely aggressive and for a good reason. Usually the battle ends up in their favor due to their ridiculous tech advantage. Definitely somebody to watch out for.

So far i have the fortune of not meeting a Poland yet. AI Shaka tends to do well early and mid game but they get piled on in late game just like Mongolia so they are not really a problem.

Ottomans, huh? Interesting. Wonder why? Maybe their AI traits got an update w BNW?

Mine are pretty much along the lines of what people are laying out already. Although in my last game (normal size, continents, Immortal, Morocco), I ended up on a small continent, crowded by Korea (who started spamming cities right in my face) and the Aztecs (who settled their third city 4 south of my capital), who formed a nice buffer for Venice and Austria, neither of whom I could practically reach. I just gave up on that game shortly after discovering Austria, who was so isolated from me I'd missed them on the first sweep.

All I needed was Hiawatha denouncing me for my capital being too close to a tile he wanted to settle and I would have had a perfect storm of unending fury. Even Alexander wouldn't have made much difference since he wouldn't have had any city-sates to make cozy with.

France, Hiawatha, Siam, Rome, China

Poland has been quite in my games, and Assyria has been both a weakling and a powerhouse

1. Greece, as many have mentioned, he must die quickly
2. Austria, I don't mind her marriages nearly as much as those damn Hussars, she needs to die early or wait till planes arrive, because those suckers eat artillery for breakfast
3. Zulu, only played once against him, but he wiped out 3 civs before I could blink. Literally off the map gone. His unit spam is unreal.
4. Eithiopia, unsure if it because I never played much against him before, but he is very aggressive and expandy now in BNW (apparently has forgotten his 'smaller empire' bonus)
5. Egypt, concur on waiting to wipe him out until after he has grabbed the wonders you want

In my games in BNW so far, Hiawatha is not nearly as annoying as he was in G&K. Either luck of the placement or whatever, but he's been much more reluctant to expand and not as 'techy' as before. In G&K by midgame he's usually at the top of the leaderboard, 7+ cities, and ahead in tech. In my few times seeing him in BNW I haven't seen him over 4 cities and a typically a bottom feeder.

Greece (Stil have a strong start then ally with all the city states)
Morocco (rake in tons of gold and become powerful by mid-game. Tend to control the WC in my games)
Shoshone (Just crazy expansion)
Venice (That UA...so much purple...)
Iroquois (See Shoshone)

I don't really mind any civs unless playing on immortal or deity...but I really really really HATE Shoshone as a neighbor. Especially on higher difficulties, aggressive Shoshones as a neighbor can easily suffocate your capital borders before you even get to Medieval. Usually I just be friends with everyone and lure Shoshone, bribe him to attack his other neighbors, get everyone to hate him, denounce him, and conquer him.

Thus far:

1) If they are next to you, the Shoshone can be the worst, as they eat up land like crazy, and get defensive bonuses on that land. Best to eliminate them quickly, or at least DoW them to check their rapid land-taking.

2) Austria can still gobble up CSes.

3) The Iroquois also expand rapidly.

4) Letting the Zulu survive to build barracks in all their cities is a bad idea.

5) Inca will spam wonders too often.

General experience with BNW civs:

Morocco: Is it just me or does he always, ALWAYS offer up an immediate DOF? It seems more than anyone else he wants good relations, which makes sense due to his UA.

Assyria: I've never been close enough to them to see what they do up close, but they've taken out their fair share of capitals.

Zulus: The new Aztecs, with the culture madness replaced with being way more effective at conquest and expansion.

Poland: Man it's like the devs looked at how Poland has been picked on throughout history and decided "hey let's make them the unstoppable superpower!" They're scary effective, and are like a cultural version of Greece.

Shoshone: This guy is...creepy almost. He explicitly wants you to not notice him and will always be neutral while he goes and claims every last bit of land. He's like the Iroquois only constantly saying "We want no relations with your empire. The world's lands are ours and you cannot stop us." o.O

Indonesia: He never seems to be that much of a problem? Firaxis said Poland would act all second-fiddley, but Indonesia seems to fill this role more often. I have not once seen Kris Swordsmen even on the map, and for the most part he just goes and trades a lot.

Portugal: Maria seems crazy effective at being an economic power. She will settle prime locations you were planning on nabbing far away from her capital, and immediately send in the trade routes and you have to accept because you have no money.

Brazil: Pedro just seems to...mind his own business. He comes across pretty much as "Get on with it, I have no time for your foolishness, I have important matters to attend to like the freaking Carnival." It is very unnerving seeing an AI go about golden ages and culture like a cold corporate executive.

Venice: GODDAMN IT STOP TAKING MY CITY-STATES

I'm not really a warmounger, so this is more a list of "I know they're going to hate me for no particular reason, I know they'll declare war on me, I know I'll have to capture several of their cities to check their victory, and I won't feel bad about doing it because they are all arses."

5. Alexander (say him)- I hate alex with a burning passion, and the years have done little to quell my frustration. This pompous back stabbing dick is a high priority target, but only marks in at number 5 because he always fields a large empire (6-8 cities). I have never seen him set up a ludicrous empire (14-20) as most of the others on this list do.
4. Elizabeth (I beg your pardon!)- te queen of denouncements and the admiral of annoyance, queen lizzy and I have never once shared even a lukewarm friendship. She always finds something to throw a hissyfit about within 5 turns of meeting her, wether it's having a different religion, having any cities that exist in any sense, or using the salad fork when I should have been using the dinner fork. The main problem is that once she starts ruining my rep there is little I can do, as maiming her adds feul to the fire and outright killing her will make other nations weary of me.
3.Enrico (merchant of mayhem)- I have personal reasons to kill this , but that is set aside when he buys my city state, at which point he tells ME not to settle near HIM, and then he denounces me because apperently I'm taking up too much space.
2. Washington (Manifest mass)- ludicrous empire? Yeah, washington pretty much wrote the book on it. He always is drowning in unhappiness, begs people for some rescources, and then declares war when he doesn't get it. He always choses order to mitigate some of the crushing unhappiness problems, and then comes to kill me when I chose freedom (like a strange Bizzarro world, or the twilight zone).
1. Hiawatha (Trail of my tears)- City spam? Check. Unit spam? Check. Wonder spam? Check. Warmounger? Check. Whinger? Check. Goes for science and dominates with it even when the real civ has several hundered years behind the times, even for their region? Check. Somehow still swimming in happiness and gold despite his size? check. I hate hiawatha with such a deep and burning fire of rage, that I may never hate a human the same way again.
Civs I don't hate as much as other people:
Aztecs- once monty's initial rush is over, he becomes a puppy dog.
Huns- never really had a war problem with them.
Zulu- I show shaka respect, he shows me respect. So far we have always had a mutual understanding, and my religion always sways him to my side.
Siam- I hate them a lot, alex just barely edges them out due to his haircut.

Top Bottom