Kill it with fire!! (top 5 DOW on sight civs)

1. Poland. These guys go straight up beast mode if left unchecked. Those free policies really cause them to be aggressive, and they will ICS for days if you let them.
2. Greece. The more the game changes, the more this jerk stays the same. Less gold early means he usually delays his aggression an era, but sleep on this guy and you'll be facing a diplo defeat everytime.
3. Venice. He WILL steal your CS friends. It isn't a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
4. Austria. She'll also steal all the CS on the map, but isnt as dangerous early as Venice.
5. (tie) Iroquois & Russia. They still ICS like mad, and are serious threats to launch a spaceship in every game.

I play on Emperor/Immortal.

What do you think? Who are the civs that drive you insane?

Honorable mention: Maya and Egypt. That wonderspam really puts ideological pressure on everyone late game, which can be a nightmare thanks to revolutionary waves.

Add Siam to the list of "too friendly with CS's".

Honorable mention: Maya and Egypt. That wonderspam really puts ideological pressure on everyone late game, which can be a nightmare thanks to revolutionary waves.

I like to let Egypt get a few Wonders built for me before I take them out, so not Kill on Sight.

My top five list:

1) Siam
2) Japan
3) Rome
4) Aztecs
5) America

I don't know if they are a problem for more war-focused players, but I hate being near Japan and Aztecs. They WILL attack you sooner or later. And on high difficulty levels, it makes a peaceful game quite difficult.

I also do what I can to stay away from America and Rome. Not because they are particularly dangerous, but because they are pushy bastards and are difficult to deal with.

I've only two, mostly on the basis that I think the whole concept of removing city-states from the game completely as an ability is barmy.

1. Venice - UA that comes early and is impossible to defend against. Plus, they usually have a terribly annoying religion.
2. Austria - UA again, though I actually don't mind this as much because you can usually prevent this happening to any CS that's important to you.

And, of course, fire is applied to all other enemies with great prejudice when deemed prudent.

I never really DoW on sight, but kind of the other way round

1. Iroquois & Russia. Not only do they ICS, they also wonderspam like crazy. And almost every time the sit on the other side of the map and run away with 3 warmonger civ between them and me.
2. Alex(!), Monty and Shaka. The trifecta of warmongery chumps doing the dirty work for Cathy.
3. Ethiopia & Celts. forget about having a meaningful religion with these zealots in a game
4. Venice & Austria: I like my city states liberated
5. Siam: Stampy Spam 24:7

Am I the only one who finds Carthage a general nuisance?

I like to let Egypt get a few Wonders built for me before I take them out, so not Kill on Sight.

Same, and grabbing burial tombs never hurt either. ;)
They are a pain when you discover them on a foreign continent tho.

Darius: He actually manages the game really well, and you need to kill it with trebs before he gets a GA and steamrolls.
Maria Teresa/Elizabeth: What did you just say about me?!?

Shoshone have been pretty passive against me so far. I am sure theyre filthy in the hands of a human, though.

I find that the ones who need to die on sight fall into two categories:

1) The Classical Era Trifecta - Rome, Greece, Carthage - These guys are rapid expanders, have early UUs, and love to backstab.

2) The Inevitable Runaways - Persia, Iroquois, Siam - If they're not killed quickly, they cover the map in free-AI-Happiness-boosted ghettos and go buckwild to SV.

---
The rest tend to be situational. Aztecs generally suffer mid-to-late game, imo. Maya and Korea can become runaways, but if they start in jungle, they're slowed enough to be manageable. Japan's the same way, completely land dependent whether I have to worry about Samurai hordes or not.

Zulu. I dislike meeting an army of 30 covering the full range of classical units at turn 60...

Otherwise the notorious spreaders - Iroquois, Shoshone, America, and (in my experience) Korea.

I only have one, Alex!! The reason is simple, he more than any AI calls me his favorite City State all the time. I mean I can have 4 or more cities and this creep still calls me City State. I know it is just an AI, I should ignore it. However, I find I cannot ignore it.

The Shoshone are the best neighbors ever. If you start north of them with no one behind you, you are set for game if you freind up with them.

AI Poland is pretty crazy. I think they've built the Great Wall in every game I've met them too, so I've never really seen a window to kill them before Dynamite or Flight. That's on Emperor. Can't imagine why I'd not pick Poland myself though. That ultra-quick Patronage finisher is just totally crazy.

Poland is like some neighborhood watchman, waiting around, watching your every move so that he can find something to nitpick and then slams denouncements up your butt for the rest of history.

From what I've seen so far, Poland and Russia seem pretty aggressive. Venice seems highly competitive for the peaceful victories.

India, Carthage and Ethiopia all seem to be doing better in BNW than they did in G&K (although I haven't played any of them in BNW yet).

I haven't encountered Shaka yet--I expect he may be a bit of a challenging neighbor!

Really? Nobody else is as annoyed with Attila and those battering rams? On higher difficulty he spams so many of them that it can be hard to destroy all of them before they smash through your outer cities.

Top Bottom