SEAPOLE Map Request

Have you been able to locate the maps in the Civ3Complete folder, or do I need to post them to the downloads section?

... starting with one of those, converted to a .biq file using the game editor, and then put into Quintillus's editor, or simply using the standard game editor and a color print out of the Seapole map of Antarctica, it might be possible to come up with a 180 X 180 map fairly quickly.
I just saw this, haven't been on in a bit. I'll check it out today.

As suggested, it could be used as a basis.

Important shortcomings of note - it's a PTW map, so it does not have all the terrain or rules changes for Conquests. Also, it is just an ice-free version of the current continental outline. Quite different from RL analyses of ice-free Antarctic geography. Ornithia & Wayan's other two alternative interpretations include terrain types based on broad climatology considerations.

I'm not convinced editing Antartida would be easier/faster than starting from an image based on Ornithia.

----------
A final note: Rivers are not a terrain type - they follow tile borders. I find it useful to include flood plain as a marker when there are a lot of rivers on a source map such as Wayan's. The time saved locating rivers tile by tile more than makes up for any later changes to terrain types needed in the editor.

As suggested, it could be used as a basis.

Important shortcomings of note - it's a PTW map, so it does not have all the terrain or rules changes for Conquests. Also, it is just an ice-free version of the current continental outline. Quite different from RL analyses of ice-free Antarctic geography. Ornithia & Wayan's other two alternative interpretations include terrain types based on broad climatology considerations.

I'm not convinced editing Antartida would be easier/faster than starting from an image based on Ornithia.

----------
A final note: Rivers are not a terrain type - they follow tile borders. I find it useful to include flood plain as a marker when there are a lot of rivers on a source map such as Wayan's. The time saved locating rivers tile by tile more than makes up for any later changes to terrain types needed in the editor.

Honestly I think the pictures you just posted of Ornithia will help more, where di you find those? I tried googling it and nothing came up.

Honestly I think the pictures you just posted of Ornithia will help more, where di you find those? I tried googling it and nothing came up.
Those are just ones from Wayan's site. Checking links - will edit this post.

Those are just ones from Wayan's site. In some cases he has regional maps along with the images. But in others the Antarctic analog is only on the edge of the map - distorted & only partially visible.

Ornithia (from planet Seapole - image only, no map)
Tropica (from planet Jaredia - map + image)
Antarctica (planet Dubia - image only, no map)

Also on his site:
A different Tropica (from planet Shiveria - image only, no map)

AlternateHistory.com has some discussion threads about Wayan's alternate Earths:
Outline map of Jaredia including Tropica
Human migration on Seapole
spread of Agriculture on Seapole
Seapole map thread (but no good map of Ornithia)
Their wiki page on his maps

For real-world comparison, a search using "Antarctica" & "ice-free" as key words will find you more maps than you'll know what to do with. Here are a few results I find interesting:
A blog on ice-free Antarctica
announcement of updated Times Atlas of the World including ice-free Antarctica maps
topographic/bathymetric map colored for altitude (the one posted in bottom left, but much larger image)
similar map, but sea is all one color

If you skip the technical language, mostly just look at the pictures & diagrams, peer-reviewed publications can give you a lot of useful info:
Long-term Landscape Evolution of Antarctica - among many things includes a map showing where rivers would have been likely.
graphic showing probable lakes as well as rivers
Environmental Domains Map - about our contemporary Antarctica, but comparing the areas to the ice-free maps may help give some climate clues to terrains.

I was simply pointing out that it presents an option to start from or use as a basis.

I am also not sure how much rebound you would get from the land surface underlying the current glaciers.

Those are just ones from Wayan's site. In some cases he has regional maps along with the images. But in others the Antarctic analog is only on the edge of the map - distorted & only partially visible.

Ornithia (from planet Seapole - image only, no map)
Tropica (from planet Jaredia - map + image)
Antarctica (planet Dubia - image only, no map)

Also on his site:
A different Tropica (from planet Shiveria - image only, no map)

AlternateHistory.com has some discussion threads about Wayan's alternate Earths:
Outline map of Jaredia including Tropica
Human migration on Seapole
spread of Agriculture on Seapole
Seapole map thread (but no good map of Ornithia)
Their wiki page on his maps

For real-world comparison, a search using "Antarctica" & "ice-free" as key words will find you more maps than you'll know what to do with. Here are a few results I find interesting:
A blog on ice-free Antarctica
announcement of updated Times Atlas of the World including ice-free Antarctica maps
topographic/bathymetric map colored for altitude (the one posted in bottom left, but much larger image)
similar map, but sea is all one color

If you skip the technical language, mostly just look at the pictures & diagrams, peer-reviewed publications can give you a lot of useful info:
Long-term Landscape Evolution of Antarctica - among many things includes a map showing where rivers would have been likely.
graphic showing probable lakes as well as rivers
Environmental Domains Map - about our contemporary Antarctica, but comparing the areas to the ice-free maps may help give some climate clues to terrains.

Excellent! Thank you very much, this will be an amazing place to start.

I've done a lot of thinking about Antarctica, both ice-free and partially so, in prep for a scenario. Everything from Wayan's artistic work to peer-reviewed publications on paleoclimatology & extinct flora & fauna. I'll gladly share my perspectives as you feel the need.

And the offer stands on helping you through the map conversion. Don't worry about indexing or dimensions. Just post an image that uses only the colors you want. The work involved at that point is measured in minutes rather than days to paraphrase Scotty. Probably take longer to write up the step by step explanation & post it than to do the actual work. :lol:

There are a lot of maps to work with in there!
At least as far back as E. A. Poe creative types as well as scientists have been fascinated with ice-free Antarctica. Or maybe we should include the pre-19th c. cartographers' fantasias as well? No wonder there's a lot of interest in disseminating the latest info.

Ok, so between today and tomorrow I'll begin trying to tackle Ornithia. I'll post on here so I can ask for advice.

Top Bottom