Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Depends on the game. Making a mod typically has only a tangential relation to making an actual game - game devs need to write games in ways that make them possible to mod, often providing tools to do so easily.

Thanks. Maybe I'll take a look at one of those open source things or then just keep on playing with javascript.

Modders typically (but not always) rely on SDK and APIs put in place by the developer to allow for such a thing.

Every few days I've been getting a popup asking me if I want to allow a program to run. The name given is just a long string of numbers. I can't find where the program is located to delete it. Seems like it's probably a malware of some sort. But I can't find it to get rid of it. Any ideas?

Every few days I've been getting a popup asking me if I want to allow a program to run. The name given is just a long string of numbers. I can't find where the program is located to delete it. Seems like it's probably a malware of some sort. But I can't find it to get rid of it. Any ideas?

Have you tried running any anti-malware programs? I recommend trying Microsoft Security Essentials, Spybot S & D, and Malware Bytes anti-malware., in that order. I'd run all three (although not simultaneously) if I was experiencing something like this (they can catch something the others might miss.)

I would also google that string of numbers you've referred to, odds are it's already happened to someone else somewhere and there may be a discussion about it you can find.

Have you tried running any anti-malware programs? I recommend trying Microsoft Security Essentials, Spybot S & D, and Malware Bytes anti-malware., in that order. I'd run all three (although not simultaneously) if I was experiencing something like this (they can catch something the others might miss.)

I would also google that string of numbers you've referred to, odds are it's already happened to someone else somewhere and there may be a discussion about it you can find.

I got MS Security to run, and it caught something. Not sure if it caught the thing I was concerned about. :dunno:

Nope. Not gone. This is what it looks like.

When the file is open I followed the link and found it and attempted to delete it, but it would not delete because the file was in use. When I closed the dialog box, the file disappeared from the folder.

Have you run all three programs, Cutlass? It's pretty important that you try multiple anti-malware programs (seperately) if you suspect malware.

I googled the filename but didn't get any results.

I tried it too, but the file name is probably different for each virus for that particular reason. Googling "numbers" and ".exe" gives results. :)

Not yet. been so exhausted after work that I haven't been getting to a lot of things in a timely manner. :blush:

Malwarebytes' Antimalware found, and I hope, deleted something. I say I hope because the free downloads of some of these programs don't actually work.

An issue has cropped up after I received a bunch of updates for my Windows 7 machine Home Premium 64-bit. An extremely annoying "Get Windows 10" ad has popped up in my icon bar. The problem is, I have to repeatedly set it to "Hide icon and notifications" after every single computer start up. It forcibly resets itself to "show icon and notifications" behind my back every single time I shut down and/or restart my computer.

How do I force it to stay at "hide icon and notifications" when I shut down or restart my computer?

I don't think so. And I'm not even trying to. When I right click on the icon itself, I see four options: "Get Windows 10", "Reserve your free upgrade", "Go to Windows Update", and "Get to know Windows 10".

Top Bottom