C2C Graphics

If you referred to my last screen-shot; then nope, standard C2C on land.

Oh ok, it just looks different i guess in a screen shot, but thx for everything, and again these NEW animals with animations are great, keep up the good work!!;)

OK I have it working again. Part of the problem was that the alternate I was using has some of the ocean/coast blend and detail files in there. I may need to look more closely at it and change that.

So if we're keeping these, even if just for the preset maps for now, we still need to go through wherever the coastal and ocean terrains are defined in the entire body of xml we utilize and add the new terrain definitions to those lists.

I quite like the look and look forward to our mapscripts implementing their use as well. It's possible that the scripts may not be enough... some mapping details are handled in the dll and I may want to review that section to see if all coastal stuff is there. If it is then it will be up to me to write the code that places these new terrain types. That'll be interesting ;)

So if we're keeping these, even if just for the preset maps for now, we still need to go through wherever the coastal and ocean terrains are defined in the entire body of xml we utilize and add the new terrain definitions to those lists.

I quite like the look and look forward to our mapscripts implementing their use as well. It's possible that the scripts may not be enough... some mapping details are handled in the dll and I may want to review that section to see if all coastal stuff is there. If it is then it will be up to me to write the code that places these new terrain types. That'll be interesting ;)

The NORMAL terrains are all placed by the map scripts, but it only does coast and ocean at this time. There is a routine called at the end of all the map scripts that then goes through and does some things to the map ie
  • change coast/ocean to polar/tropical as needed
  • change fresh water lakes from coast/ocean to lake shore/lake
  • add terrain feature mangroves to (land) coastal marshes
  • add goody islands to coast (water) plots
  • add resources seals and walrus to coastal plots
  • planed move resources to match spawn areas so that kangaroo bonus only appears in South-East quadrant; Llama bonus in South-West etc.

There is also something that goes through when placing the settler after all that which may do some changes to plot terrain and terrain features but I have not found that yet. It may even be done in the dll.

I suggest we find and copy the system for automatic placement of coast and use it for sea terrain too.

This is the only thing I could find on that system in xml.

From Global Defines.
Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>DEEP_WATER_TERRAIN</DefineName>
		<DefineTextVal>TERRAIN_OCEAN</DefineTextVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>SHALLOW_WATER_TERRAIN</DefineName>
		<DefineTextVal>TERRAIN_COAST</DefineTextVal>
	</Define>

The last tag is involved in the automatic placement of coast around any land tiles. Setting it to NONE will make worldbuilder incapable of placing land tiles on water but still fully capable of changing land to other land tiles. When the former is tried, it will give out two error messages from CvArtFileMgr.cpp and resume working without having placed any terrain.

hmm... will be a bit before I can look into what happens in the dll on this. And I'll have to get a much better understanding of the new setup to do much with it.

It would be better if all of the map stuff was done in one place. Having in split between python and the dll will just make things harder to fix.

A good example of such a problem is the pop-up build list that appears when a city queue is empty. It is done in the dll with the first item "Examine City" handing control over to Python to load the city screen. That pop-up still has not been updated to handle the upgrading processes (Wealth, Science, Culture,...) that we have had in since v20 or earlier. If the pop-up had been done in Python it could have used the same module that handles the upgrading processes in the city screen.

The Pedia suffers from this split also and needs to duplicate code in the dll. Keeping two bits of code the same when the persons doing the code are different is not easy.

You make a good point however the map building process is already split between the two. I'm more than happy to let you take care of it on the python side. I just thought it MIGHT be easier to take care of it in the code (and faster to process perhaps.) But if you've got this then I'm happy to letcha.

Eventually the multimaps will require that either some work be done in the dll to initialize the formatting of the off-world maps as well and I'm not sure if it would even be beneficial to have the map scripts in python even play a role in that or not. I suppose I was looking at this as a way to earn greater familiarity for when that inevitability becomes necessary. But I still feel that's a long ways off for us here.

It is not likely to be faster but slower if split between the two. It is the communication with the python from the dll which has not been optiomised and Koshling has addressed this at least partially.

I have been looking more and more at multi maps; "all" that is needed is somewhere to store them and something to distinguish them apart. Originally we were talking about a a "Z" value to go with the plot X and Y values with a link in XML saying which Z referred to which terrain set probably by adding a new XML table and tag or tags in the terrain XML files to link the specific terrain/feature/bonus to specific maps.

Movement between maps would just be something like the current "Go To" button. By the way the "Go To" button needs fixing as it shows places you can't get to. For example land locked cities are showing up as destinations for ships:D. This is another dll feature that I can't work on:mischief:. The one that I have seen, probably in Civ III, only showed places you can get to but showed the distance also.

I have been looking more and more at multi maps; "all" that is needed is somewhere to store them and something to distinguish them apart. Originally we were talking about a a "Z" value to go with the plot X and Y values with a link in XML saying which Z referred to which terrain set probably by adding a new XML table and tag or tags in the terrain XML files to link the specific terrain/feature/bonus to specific maps.

Movement between maps would just be something like the current "Go To" button. By the way the "Go To" button needs fixing as it shows places you can't get to. For example land locked cities are showing up as destinations for ships:D. This is another dll feature that I can't work on:mischief:. The one that I have seen, probably in Civ III, only showed places you can get to but showed the distance also.

:eek:

Unfortunately "all" means a complete rewrite of the CvMainInterface.py all 7000+ lines of it, just to start :D

You should ask in the python area if someone would help you then? / ?

You should ask in the python area if someone would help you then? / ?

About 2500 lines of code is standard BtS the other 4500 lines is BUG and C2C code. This is why I was thinking of starting from a new clean mod to test my theories on multiple build screens (the current one is called the "City Screen") and multiple maps.

@Graphics artists ;) I have been using a place holder button for the subdued animal action to place their animal resources on the map. It is the Wolf button, I need a better one.

I am using one mission/action for all such animals. Where they can place the bonus and what actually gets placed depends on the animal and the tech of the player. Unfortunately the AI does not know of this feature unless the subdued animal happens to be on a plot it can place the bonus on.

It may just place the bonus or it may place the bonus a route and a pasture.

Note only cows and horses can do this at the moment and they have been able to do it since v34.

Maybe something like this?

Attachments

• place_subdue_animal.jpg
    place_subdue_animal.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 94
toffer you made all the new water terrain right? good job I'm going to be putting them in my map and i have a few questions. is deep sea meant to be coastal because it doesn't have a coastal texture or is sea supposed to be coastal "sea" and deep sea supposed to be the non coastal sea? is deep coast navigable for early units? and if you are still thinking of other terrain you could add i would suggest salty impermanent lakes as either a land terrain or an ocean except without allowing boats and providing a salt resource like a cross between a salt flat and water because in my mapping research i have fount that most things that might count as salt flats are like this. another suggestion off my head would be changing the "snow" terrain to "glacier" or "ice".

Maybe something like this?

Looks good.

toffer you made all the new water terrain right? good job I'm going to be putting them in my map and i have a few questions. is deep sea meant to be coastal because it doesn't have a coastal texture or is sea supposed to be coastal "sea" and deep sea supposed to be the non coastal sea? is deep coast navigable for early units? and if you are still thinking of other terrain you could add i would suggest salty impermanent lakes as either a land terrain or an ocean except without allowing boats and providing a salt resource like a cross between a salt flat and water because in my mapping research i have fount that most things that might count as salt flats are like this. another suggestion off my head would be changing the "snow" terrain to "glacier" or "ice".

Getting the terrains to work at all will take awhile. The lake terrains are seen as a source of salt at the moment for example.

is deep sea meant to be coastal because it doesn't have a coastal texture or is sea supposed to be coastal "sea" and deep sea supposed to be the non coastal sea? is deep coast navigable for early units?

Looking at the Sevopedia, I would guess;

Coast - Sea - Ocean or Shelf - Ocean. (only 1 Sea tile like coast.)

Coast - Shelf - Ocean

Deep Coast - Deep Sea -Ocean or Trench - Ocean.

Is deep sea meant to be coastal because it doesn't have a coastal texture or is sea supposed to be coastal "sea" and deep sea supposed to be the non coastal sea?
It's meant to always be in this order regardless of depth and climate: Coast - Sea - Ocean/trench/Shelf

Haven't actually tried to place sea as a coastal tile but I imagine its coral texture would look strange going far inland covering peaks and whatnot.

Is deep coast navigable for early units?
Yes, so is Sea, Deep Sea, Trench and Cont. Shelf.
I'm thinking of making Sea and cont-shelf impassable until Seafaring tech.
Trench at astronomy...

And if you are still thinking of other terrain you could add i would suggest salty impermanent lakes as either a land terrain or an ocean except without allowing boats and providing a salt resource like a cross between a salt flat and water because in my mapping research i have fount that most things that might count as salt flats are like this. another suggestion off my head would be changing the "snow" terrain to "glacier" or "ice".
More lake types is a possibility in the future but let's not go all overboard here with the new terrains. :)

Top Bottom