A Konstantin Fedin image

Turn Order

Eclipse4449 (Napoleon of France)
Sinimusta (Queen Isabella of Spain)
Hawklord (Joao II of Portugal)
Imp. Knoedel (Frederick of Germany)
4 AI

Game relaunched Post #285
England (Qlockwork) replaced by Germany (Inky)

Imp. Knoedel replaces Inky Post #435

Sinimusta replaces NightHawk419 Post #1118

Last edited:
Rules:

There is only basically ONE Rule although a bit detailed, and that is Wars are to create the story not kill the player. You may show your ability to crush them but don't go as far as preventing them from recovering.

Here is an example.
You have amassed a large force and have a border dispute due to cultural differences/expansion, he has 10 cities total, you may go as far as taking 2 of his cities that mostly effect this situation. You may not travel deep into ones territory to Raze their Capital. Alternatively if the reason is just you may take ones capital to reduce its size and destroy the standard lot of buildings but you must then abandon it immediately so that player can re establish his Palace (note that imo it is better to offer Vassalage before taking this course)

I implore The Kings and Queen of this Realm to create a rich entertaining adventure rather than a game of Conquest, this is present in almost every other game we are playing

Last edited:
How should I begin? Here at Civilization Fanatics' Forums there is a thread called Civ4 - Stories & Tales in which I have desired to participate and this is my opportunity and yours, so Please take that into consideration if you are interested.

This thread will be moved to Stories & Tales

The map will be "Large" size, "Terra", This way we will all end up on the same land mass but quickly be able to expand to the new world if need be. Also the "Race to the New World" is a nice story plot.
Achient Age.

Normal speed to better use the units you've developed.

All Victory conditions except time will apply, I see no reason to apply time or hurry a good thing :)

4 AIs, One of which is now Catherine of Russia (which would have been Imp. Knoedel)

And lastly, a vote on whether this becomes a LITERAL challenge in addition to the game challenge.
If it is to be read and enjoyed why not open an ongoing POLL that can be voted on? This will help motivate us and give readers a way to appreciate our work with less reader/lurker replies.

Special thanks to Nighthawk419 for content and ideas above

Last edited:
I am in! Now its just a matter of finding a leader. Looking forward to this awesome game and reading and writing some great stories in a civ based world!

Welcome Nighthawk I am honored! You may be the first to choose from all the Leaders available.

I will choose next, I am thinking out of the box here so I will probably not pick a commonly used Leader but for sure not an ancient leader who's UU is also ancient.

I have made my selection!

I am going to take a common nuisance in many single player vs. the AI games and show you all how to REALLY be a nuisance when it comes to religious pressure and persecution - Queen Isabella of Spain! The story of the great Spanish empire will be told from the viewpoint of Antonio, the head of Isabella's royal guard and foreign minister...

So heres a question - I've never done a start from a later period... is it like an advanced start or do we start with the same thing just all the techs are learned already? I'm just curious...

It should be that all earlier techs are learned but I'm looking into all aspects we'll bump into tonight and the next few days

my hopes are we just start with 1 city and not use advance start but by MA my thinking is that you'd have more than 1 city

I'll open a hotseat game and look around but not tonight, mondays are tough on me

I would like to join, but could we please change the size to Huge or at least Large? I don´t feel the Standard world size is very realistic. I normally play Epic Large maps with standard settings except Permanent Alliances and New Random Seed enabled.
I choose Tsarina/Tsaress (you know what I mean) Catherine of the Russian Empire to create an empire on which the sun never sets. I think I will tell the story from a different point of view in each segment to vary the reading experience. Cathy herself, a Cosack Commandant, a leading scientist or artist at the Royal Palace and a partisan of a resistance movement are some options that just popped into my head.
This is going to be awesome, I will now download the LoR-Mod.

Cheers.

I am very glad you've joined!
Welcome to Writing in Gunpowder, I'm not 100% sure of this but this game/story maybe the only one or one of just a few to have more than one writer writing individual storyies.

And yes the map size can be large i'm just opposed to having lots of AIs, I want to be able to have the human players interact soon, NightHawk suggested we use the Terra map which will help allow us to be closer in the begining and I agree 100%

I'd like to suggest an idea I thought of here, normally when you play a game and write a story you are limited only by your imagination abd that almost always is awesome and very entertaining, here I'd like to limit you a bit to only write within your researched techs, an early ezample if you've not learned FISHING you can not write about Fishing Boats. I mean if your moving around a warrior I wouldn't be writing about super computers it just would make much sense at least to me. Anyway I'd like to suggest that. Really anything after that is up to you and your imagination
:sleep: :bump: :huh: :crazyeye::crazyeye: :scan: :blush: :D :thumbsup::woohoo:

I am very glad you've joined!
Welcome to Writing in Gunpowder, I'm not 100% sure of this but this game/story maybe the only one or one of just a few to have more than one writer writing individual storyies.

And yes the map size can be large i'm just opposed to having lots of AIs, I want to be able to have the human players interact soon, NightHawk suggested we use the Terra map which will help allow us to be closer in the begining and I agree 100%

I'd like to suggest an idea I thought of here, normally when you play a game and write a story you are limited only by your imagination abd that almost always is awesome and very entertaining, here I'd like to limit you a bit to only write within your researched techs, an early ezample if you've not learned FISHING you can not write about Fishing Boats. I mean if your moving around a warrior I wouldn't be writing about super computers it just would make much sense at least to me. Anyway I'd like to suggest that. Really anything after that is up to you and your imagination
:sleep: :bump: :huh: :crazyeye::crazyeye: :scan: :blush: :D :thumbsup::woohoo:

I agree about our topics of choice in our writings... obviously we are limited to the techs we know, that just makes sense!

As for the map - how about a large map + 1 AI for each human player? On a Terra map, 8 civs squeezed in the old world will be pretty tight... plus this gives us each the opportunity to have our own "pet AI" haha... should make for some interesting relations. Just enough to give the world a nice realistic feel, but not enough to cause a problem for us!

As for different story-lines - I'd say each writer can take whatever approach works best for them. Right now I will feel pretty overwhelmed just writing one story, but properly motivated I could just write some more! I'm sure we can intertwine them easily!

I agree about our topics of choice in our writings... obviously we are limited to the techs we know, that just makes sense!

As for the map - how about a large map + 1 AI for each human player? On a Terra map, 8 civs squeezed in the old world will be pretty tight... plus this gives us each the opportunity to have our own "pet AI" haha... should make for some interesting relations. Just enough to give the world a nice realistic feel, but not enough to cause a problem for us!

As for different story-lines - I'd say each writer can take whatever approach works best for them. Right now I will feel pretty overwhelmed just writing one story, but properly motivated I could just write some more! I'm sure we can intertwine them easily!

1 AI each is great
Actually I want this to be a pleasure to do, there is no need to write something each turn, you chose how often and how much you do. I may write every turn or every 10 turns it just depend on how much time I have at the time

my hopes are we just start with 1 city and not use advance start but by MA my thinking is that you'd have more than 1 city

If you select Medieval as starting age you spawn with 2 Settlers, Workers, Longbows and one Explorer, if i remember correctly. Could depend on World Size too, and I don´t know whether LoR changes this aspect. Btw, this mod is just wonderful, I don´t think I will touch Vanilla BtS ever again except for the Gm18bnoE game. Though there is one little point that I have to criticize: It runs slower than Vanilla. But apart from that it´s just perfet.
That we only write about Techs we know about is pretty much a no-brainer actually, though we could build in rumors of techs other Civs know even if we don´t have it yet ourselves.

Cheers.

Oh yes rumors are great! One thing I noticed LoR has over BTS is the zoom slider top right, playing with that zoomed in will make for some serious media.

Having these spawned units right from the start gives me almost no desire to have an advance start

Yeah LoR just has more to it so it tends to take longer to load and may run slower depending on your computer... I'm sure you can mess with the settings to make it run a little faster with a little less on the graphics side. I've also noticed that I'm not sure if UU's work right... in that 3 civ game we have going Eclipse, my persians have chariots grayed out, even though they are supposed to be replaced by Immortals... I could be wrong and they might appear once I get access to horses though. I also won the Liberalism race in another game and never got my free tech. It definitely has a couple of bugs in it, as nice as it is. The BTS vanilla game is at least bug free and everything works, I'll give it that. I think I'm willing to deal with the bugs for the option of having actual revolutions though, that makes storylines so much better. Plus if we use the "barbs turn to civs" option, the new world will end up with slightly less advanced but actual civs in it, kinda like it was in reality. And you could end up with these 1 city civs which started from barb cities which will play a lot like the concept of city-states does in civ 5! LoR just has so much that we can use from a realistic world / story side of things!

I agree, I dont think we need an advanced start if we start in the medeival age. 2 cities for everyone is just fine and we will get off the ground quickly with that starting package.

Im working from my phone this morning, if both of you could lookup threads I've started you'll find another thread with the same name.
Post a comment, later this can become your table of contents. The last post there will be mine

Oh yes rumors are great! One thing I noticed LoR has over BTS is the zoom slider top right, playing with that zoomed in will make for some serious media.

Why wouldn´t the normal zoom-function suffice for that purpose? Also I think the Line-of-Sight Slider is actually a part of the BUG mod which seems to be included into LoR.

Having these spawned units right from the start gives me almost no desire to have an advance start

Be warned though that I have no idea whether it works in LoR this way too, especially with the "Start as a minor Civ" option if we enable that.

I've also noticed that I'm not sure if UU's work right...

Have you looked up these things in the Civilopedia? Some UUs seem to have been changed, for example America has the Humvee now, and I think would make sense if they changed the Persian UU to replace a Spearman. Also some techs are different now too, so I wouldn´t be so fast to call something a bug which then turns out to be just a part that has been changed by the mod.

So what about the world-size and the mapscript now? IIRC the PerfectWorldGenerator-Script has "Start in Old World" as default, so we could use that instead of Terra btw.

Cheers.

Have you looked up these things in the Civilopedia? Some UUs seem to have been changed, for example America has the Humvee now, and I think would make sense if they changed the Persian UU to replace a Spearman. Also some techs are different now too, so I wouldn´t be so fast to call something a bug which then turns out to be just a part that has been changed by the mod.

So what about the world-size and the mapscript now? IIRC the PerfectWorldGenerator-Script has "Start in Old World" as default, so we could use that instead of Terra btw.

Cheers.

No admittedly I haven't looked anything up. I'll try to take a look next time I'm in the game you could be right.

You are correct about the world generator "start in the old world" option... maybe if I have a chance tonight I'll generate a few maps and see how they look. Take a few screenshots as examples, etc. I'll also try the Medeival Age start with and without advanced start and see how it ends up. Maybe that will help us make some decisions so we can get it right the first time without issue!

Knoedel if you know anyone that can be our fourth feel free to reach out to them!

Top Bottom