The Tribal Elders of Delphi

((I'll have a detailed read and response within a day or two.

As for successors, I believe Awpathos should be the next ruler. Especially as the time of war is almost upon us.

If he is voted in as the next ruler we should find some in-story justification for the handover. What happens to Bazil? Does he die? Abdicate?))

I'd like to be next turn player as well. Awpathos is an old man though. I was thinking we could return to the royal line. Perhaps the prince has just come of age. Alexander comes to mind as a name since we're all Greek and stuff. How did that happen btw since we are playing Assyria after all.

HaHa, you might want to see how I do with 10 first.

((Now I see what you mean about the technologies they have versus we have --- never knew that!

A decision was made all the way back in the pre-Melda mists of the dawn of time to have a Delphi theme. The Greekness flowed on naturally from there.

I must say the kingdom's looking really good. Excellent finances, excellent development, golden age; it's all looking great!

You can have your player assume a new character if you want. Bazil could create a new character to be your chief minister, or you could have Awpathos be your chief minister. :p

Melodios is still available to help but won't be able to be chief minister because I'm going to be a bit busy in another scenario (see signature) since I've just formed government as Deputy Prime Minister, so I've got a lot of policy work to draft, develop and try to steer through the Senate. Bazil is an Opposition Senator in the Senate, and it will be interesting to see how that goes. ;)))

((not well, the PIP is completely outnumbered, you're just gonna grab the whole power when 2/3 of the people are all steering together. I need more funds to overtake you definitely :p

As for me, I think that changing character is not yet on the plan, I would stay as an advisor and not the leader since I can't war for compared to 1889, I think that the oracle should decide that, and my character would support on the economy, based on the background. Then I'll have a kid ofc :D)

You can keep your old guys or make new ones. Prince Alexander has come of age and will assume the throne Sunday night.

The plan is to build more military in preparation for war. We will finish Physics in 8 turns. What would you like to research next? We passed a lot of early techs but I'd like to research Steel then Gunpowder. That will take a while but we should have spies before anyone else and I hope that means we can steal a bunch of the older techs for free.

((not well, the PIP is completely outnumbered, you're just gonna grab the whole power when 2/3 of the people are all steering together. I need more funds to overtake you definitely :p

((Well, while the government has five ministers we only have four votes in the chamber; remember the Honourable Howard Stevenson is not a Senator. So while most legislation will get through because we hold a natural majority in the chamber, we lack the necessary fifth vote to pass constitutional amendments so the Opposition's input will still be valued.))

As for me, I think that changing character is not yet on the plan, I would stay as an advisor and not the leader since I can't war for compared to 1889, I think that the oracle should decide that, and my character would support on the economy, based on the background. Then I'll have a kid ofc :D)

((I like it))

You can keep your old guys or make new ones. Prince Alexander has come of age and will assume the throne Sunday night.

The plan is to build more military in preparation for war. We will finish Physics in 8 turns. What would you like to research next? We passed a lot of early techs but I'd like to research Steel then Gunpowder. That will take a while but we should have spies before anyone else and I hope that means we can steal a bunch of the older techs for free.

((I agree with all of this. Melodios will still be around to help; just not as much as before.))

The time for war was drawing inexorably closer but the council knew that for them to be the authors of a war declare war would be merely seem acquisitive and greedy. For the war to be legitimate, for it to have the full support of the people, it would have to be made by one of the ancient line of kings. It was time for the regent to step aside and restore the monarchy.

Prince Alexander’s coronation was as elaborate and lavish as any nation had yet seen. The perfect capstone to a golden age for the Delphians.

=======================
Story
=======================

Turn 1 - Game Turn 120 // 50 BC

As soon as the dignitaries leave, our military units begin moving into their initial attack positions. One of our chariots takes a quick detour to explore the potential city site out West.

Turn 2 - Game Turn 121 // 25 BC

Delphi finishes a siege tower and starts another chariot.
A Siamese warrior is discovered way out west. (see screen shot)

Turn 3 - Game Turn 122 // 0 AD

Progress is made on the King’s Road.
The Siamese have a catapult garrisoned in Si Satchanli.

Turn 4 - Game Turn 123 // 50 BC

Quarry finished at Dostana, another road link is begun.
A Siamese swordsman is discovered outside Sukhothai.

This is the first real combat unit I’ve seen in Siam. I realize how crowded the battle space will be. We need some troops to clear room otherwise we may not be able to move all our siege towers next to the city.
Kirrha finishes a siege tower and begins a swordsman.
Delphi finishes a chariot and starts another.

According to the demographics now have the largest army, but the military advisor is still wary of Siam.

Turn 5 - Game Turn 124 // 50 BC

Finish the quarry at Delphi. The worker begins the trek to Kirrah starting and stopping farms at the end of each turn to hopefully save a few worker turns.

China renews 4 gpt and open borders for our cotton.

Turn 6 - Game Turn 125 // 50 BC

Workers start our last road segment.
Delphi finishes a chariot and starts a swordsman.

Next turn our units will move to the positions I plan to declare war from. That will put 5 units on Siam’s border and they may become suspicious forcing us to declare war a turn early. Therefore I give you this last opportunity to comment on our preparations. (see screen shot)

Delphi and Kirrha will now begin producing units to capture the second Siamese city, the coastal one.

Oops, I can not upload any files because it says I am missing a security token. I'll see if an admin can sort this out before I continue.

((If you could post some screenshots, it would help, at least until you can upload a save. Are you using steam? If so, F12 makes good screenies, it's what I've been using.

Also, you're a freaking war machine I tell you, how much do you tend for domination victories? :D))

I really like Civ V combat but my favorite victory actually is culture. I still can not upload any files for some reason. Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Here is the save. Still can't upload screen shots.

I'll still keep trying to upload those pics but the save is really all you need. I'll wait a day or two for any comments and plan on finishing the turn (and capturing the city) Thursday night.

Attachments

• Civ Demo Game 125.Civ5Save
    786.8 KB · Views: 130
((I know what you mean. I tend to be bloodthirsty in my games --- completely different to my Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies persona --- but I still prefer cultural victories, especially with Brave New World.))

Melodios, as one of the young king's advisors raised some points in council.

"Majesty, although you may have considered all of the angles of what is to come next, please allow me to take up the council's time with some points which I would like to go over," he begins, seeking the monarch's approval.

With a nod of approval, he continued, "I thank you. I don't think I need to prove to anyone here how much I detest the Siamese and would see them crushed beneath the might of our armies, which I am sure will occur soon."

It was true, his father Melda of Islandia hated the Siamese and Melodios himself had recently been a 'guest' of the Siamese when he had tried to sneak into the neighbouring kingdom. "However I would remind the council that the city-state Zurich, with who we've had very good relations in years past, are presently allies with the much-hated Siam. Does the council have a plan to deal with the inevitable consequence of Zurich declaring war on our kingdom?"

There was mumbling from the council at this question.

"I also have a few additional questions, which the council can take on notice; I certainly don't need responses right now."

He looked over to ensure a scribe was taking down notes of the meeting. "Our great kingdom currently has an ongoing trade deal with the Siamese; is breaking this through our much-justified declaration of war going to harm our standing in the eyes of the other kingdoms?"

He moved onto his next point. "I firmly believe that when we commence our war with Siam we are going to need to decisively conquer their entire kingdom as quickly as possible. I have the greatest confidence in our king and his military advisers," he nodded toward the eminent Awpathos, "but my question is once we've taken the first Siamese city, where are our forces intending to head next? Towards the capital, to decapitate the beast, or to Muang Saluang to ensure the front lines move symmetrically northward?"

He picked up an engraved tablet to refer to some information contained on it. "I note our military funds can support an extra four military divisions. As we have another two almost ready to leave their barracks, which will leave us with only two more before it will start costing our treasury penalty amounts. This isn't a question; I just wanted to make sure this was on record in case anyone wasn't aware of it."

He put the tablet back down from where he had picked it up. "Turning our minds far further into the future for a moment, our successful conquest of the Siamese will give us a land border with the Netherlands and will be a potential flashpoint for future conflict. I don't see any way around this, though, I just wanted to acknowledge this fact here in the council."

There were some nods and some frowns in response to this.

"And finally, Pythas's scouting party appears to have reached as far westward, northward and eastward as possible. I was wondering what instructions we were going to send forth to Pytheas about where he should take his forces next."

He bowed respectfully, "I thank the council for its time and consideration."

With that, Melodios son of Melda resumed his seat as the council continued its deliberations.

((I like the look of those military arrangements you've got. I'm looking forward to the war. :D

Feel free to post updates in smaller intervals than five turns if you want.))

((War is inevitable, and I think we need to pull the trigger on it --- although, in-game they seem to really like us, huh.

But when I was poking around the same game I realised that this will probably have negative international consequences, attacking a trading partner. Something we'll just have to live with, I guess.

Zurich, however . . . it's frustrating, because if we had just a little more gold we could ally with them. Not worth delaying the war over, though, especially now we're so close to execution.

Do we know what military forces Zurich has that they could bring to bear against us? Anything worth worrying about?

Anyway, once we've conquered Siam we'll be able to make our peace with Zurich and try to recover the influence we'll have lost.))

=======================
Story
=======================

King Alexander glared at Melodious. He was furious at the minister to raise these concerns on eve of war. It wouldn’t have been so bad if they hadn’t all been valid. But the king had had enough of regents; it was long past time for him to rule in his own right. He would not have the land's greatest army wait in its barracks at the behest of merchant caravans.

“I thank you for your advice Minister Melodious,” King Alexander spit between clenched teeth, “but the order has already been given. Even now our armies are on the march.”

Turn 6 - Game Turn 126 // 275 AD

Our scout marches through Shoshone territory. He sends back reports of an extensive road network.

Our workers march into the hills of Delphi and Kirrha

But as our army marches into their initial attack position the Minister’s words of caution cause King Alexander increasing concern as reports come in of large numbers of Siamese swordsman around Sukothai.

I accept Poland’s pathetic offer of a few coins for open borders. They will learn respect in time. Poland also completes the Great Wall., as if that can protect them.

Turn 7 - Game Turn 127 // 300 AD

Kirrha finishes a siege tower and starts another.
Dostana finishes the workboat and starts a granary.
Workers start mines and the final segment of the King’s Road.

We declare war on Siam. Ramkanheng is super pissed and everyone else is a little upset with us too.

Both Zurich caravans are lost sending our revenue into the red, happiness drops to 2 as the people grumble over the lose of copper. The new workboat is quickly sent to improve pearls instead of fish.

Furthermore a Siamese catapult is blocking one of our siege towers so only two can get next to the city. The only part of the plan that goes well is when our chariots sweep out of the West and pour fire into the city while our swordsman advances into the forested hills north of our target and cuts the road.

King Alexander admits grudgingly to himself that all these misfortunes are just as the venerable minister said they would be.

Turn 8 - Game Turn 128 // 325 AD

We discover Physics and start Steel.

Our swordsman north of Si Satchanalai is mauled by bombardments from two cities, attacked by a catapult and finally two swords before finally succumbing. Their valiant defense buys valuable time for our other units to assault the city.

Two siege towers backed by two chariots capture the city!

King Alexander could not be more pleased with his army and as his engineers assure him that the newer, more modern, trebuchet being built will be even more effective. Yet this new ‘super-weapon’ is not yet in the field. It is Bazil’s forethought that built the army that is winning Alexander’s war. (BTW I’ve never used Siege Towers before and wasn’t sure what to expect but they absolutely rock, my new favorite UU! I thought the attack on the city would last three turns.)

Capturing the city gives us trapping, 103 gold and connects Copper again.
I puppet the city for now. Happiness is at 4.

The death of our sword leaves the chariots on our left flank exposed so they retreat while pouring arrows onto the Siamese troops on the hilltop North of Si Satchanalai.

On the right flank our sword charges into a catapult in the open on the plains East of the city.

Turn 9 - Game Turn 129// 350 AD

Our Golden Age ends, but our age of glory is just beginning.

Siam attacks Si Satchanalai with catapults while his forces wheel into the plains East of the city hopping to recapture it.

A Siamese warrior appears on our Western border.

Delphi finishes a sword and starts another.
Chariots destroy the catapult west of Si Satchanalai

Because of the danger from Siam’s warrior our worker abandons the mine at Kirrha and retreats across the river to farm instead. Our spearman rushes west on the finished sections of the soon to be completed King’s Road to help secure our West.

Our siege towers return South to heal before marching on Siam’s coastal holding of Muang Saluang.

Swords and chariots form a defense around Si Satchanalai.

Turn 10 - Game Turn 130 // 375 AD

Siam’s swordsman outside Si Satchanalai is killed. Our captured city is safe and resistance is almost extinguished (1 more turn)

Kirrha bombards the Siamese warrior.

We trade cotton to the Dutch for 6 gold.

And the King’s Road is completed!

King Alexander, confident now in his own decisions is better able to acknowledge the successes of his predecessors. Having felt the burden of responsibility he is better prepared to head the advice of his advisors. And flushed with victory he in the mood to celebrate.

He brings all his nations greatest leaders to commemorate the completion of the King’s Road.

Bazil tries to demure but Alexander will have none of it. He missed the income from the caravans lost in the opening days of the war. Trade that is somewhat mitigated by the revenues from Dostana now. Trade that he is determined to expand to the new markets in Si Satchanalai. Melda is there too. Still spry considering his age, an energy that goes well with hair that still retains streaks of dark through his grey. "On this great day our kingdom has become connected in a way never before with the completion of this great road-building project. I give thanks to our great, forward-thinking rulers Bazil and Alexander for seeing this project through."

The crowed cheers wildly as the nation once again prospers.

King Alexander is comfortable at the arts of war but watching these former leaders affect on his people realizes that the subtle craft of diplomacy may be nearly as powerful.

Attachments

• Civ Demo Game 130.Civ5Save
    793.4 KB · Views: 152
Top Bottom