My Deity Tier List For Domination

Mel Uncensored

Chieftain
This is a deity domination list, I'll rank civs and give you my opinions about them. I'm only talking about domination and I'm only playing on deity so this works for every difficulties.

It's very important that you understand this, I rank civ for the help they give to win a domination victory, you can win domination with all of them with just standard units, since science doesn't make you win domination but promotion does. I agree you can sit on science, wait bombers or nukes and do it. However your game will take forever and at this point it's better and quicker to just go to space. We love life on earth as long as we are the master of it.

I'll link videos of my channel to back up my ideas, I'll quickly start by just posting this two videos guide (which explain more in details what I said above and bellow)

I rank civs in order, I'll say the huns is the best, then Mongolia, then Arabia, then the Zulu etc... I played almost all the civilizations of the game and won all of them with domination. I made a lot of LP to show how to play some of them, I also played with liberty, honor and piety (opening and focusing only on it, I won domination with full piety then patronage then ideology) I also used commerce, the three ideologies. I tried everything, I also play on epic and standard. Won deity before industrial era, renaissance, modern etc...

God Tier: The Huns - Mongolia - Arabia

What do I call a god tier? It is basically, three civs that use Mounted Archer Unit. They are game breaking for domination and they win the game quicker than any other civ. You can win deity at turn 100 with the Huns, 200 with Arabia and Mongolia. It's fairly easy to actually archive it, this is all the reasons why they are the best for domination.

Top Tier: The Zulu - Sweden - Denmark - Inca - Poland - Persia - China - England

As I said before, promotions mean everything, so the Zulu are first of the TOP tier, you'll grab quickly promotion, the unique unit is really good and scale well. Why do I rank Sweden over China and England? As I said promotion mean everything, if you go straight for domination you'll start wars with archer, this means, you'll have +1 range and logistic with your crossbowman already, so you don't need longbowman or chu ko nu (This one has less combat strengh than a regulare crossbowman so it's not great...)

Sweden can spam generals from wars, steal great prophet and then gift them to CS, getting CS alliance for FREE, which means, happiness, culture and a lot of good things without spending money. You'll have a full game without worrying about happiness or CS blocking the way and you can grab militaristic CS easily (Hi keshiks), they also have a rifleman start with march, how funny is that? CS with the end of patronage can gift khan, and let's just say a CS give you janissary... Janissary upgraded into Karolean with a khan is INSANE.

Denmark has a very good early melee units, almost as fast as a mounted one and lead to trebuchet (siege units are the best for wining the game quickly if use properly) Denmark also have something really AMAZING ! This make you win wars from sea really easily. Not just sea, you can attack from cost, from lake, it's really great and useful! A good player will always find one moment to use it to flip the game.

The Incas, money is great, hills are awful for world domination but the Incas don't give a damn and that's why they are there, no hills can stop them and it's a good reason to place them here! Plus you don't pay maintenance for building road on hills.. You often have workers to bait the enemy, sometimes they don't do anything so you can build roads everywhere on the map to move your units and siege easily (Hills)

Poland is broken, you can go honor and liberty at the same time! Spam cities and get some early wars is insane, the unique unit they have is INSANE aswell, maybe the best unit of the game after the mounted archers (keshiks, camel etc..) because it's fast, it pushes enemies where you want if you play them well.

Persia, golden age, a good early unit that can win you the game (early wars means everything for domination) longer golden age! Money we love it! Happiness from bank we love it! +1 Movement point for all units? So my catapult can move, set to fire, and shoot? It's great! Persia is an insane civ for domination.

China has a good general spam and more combat bonus from it, this is why I love it, you can also spam more Chu ko nu to speed your world domination.

England has a good fregate, but fregate are already game breaking, it's insane I agree that's why it's in the top.

Good tier : Aztec - Greece - The Ottoman - America -Assyria - Korea - Germany - Japan - Siam - Songhai - Russia - Rome - Celtic - Shoshone - France - Carthage - Iroquois

Standard tier : Babylone - Maya - Brasil - Portugal - Ethiopian - Dutch - Egypt -India - Morocco - Polynesia - Venise -

Standard Tier are civs that aren't useful for domination, science and culture are ok, but you don't need to be ahead to win domination, I won plenty wars against AI two era above me because they were swarm by advanced units (Promoted) you can win domination on deity with them, all of them, but they don't really give anything you need to complete it.

Luck based civs : Spain - Austria - Byzantium - Indonesia

Those civs are great and can become insane if you're lucky! Natural wonders, CS placement and units inside or religion. They are top tier in my opinion but they can be just good tier if you don't get anything special.

One more thing! If you like it, agree or not, debate or not, talk about about the standard tier and good one or make more lists (Units tier list)

So you dont think the War Chariot is any good, just average?

They are ok, not as amazing as the unique unit from brazil or ethiopia in my opinion. Chariot archer are useful to take cities but the scaling is bad and bowman or catapult can do the just just fine and scale way better.

This is a solid list. I'd push Greece, Germany and The Maya into the Top Tier, though.

Greece's UA makes it so much cheaper to maintain the alliances. In most games, in all honesty, once they're mine, they're mine. My style of domination makes big use of CS alliances, so for me Greece seem really OP.

And Germany's UAs make it really cheap and easy to assemble a decent army with Honor. Less good for Liberty, but then Hanse is really good for Liberty.

The Maya give you the chance to collect promotions right from the start, plus even if most of the GP are not great for domination, you can use them for SOMETHING.

GAd = explore the other continent early
GW = hit the next SP earlier

etc. Only the GM is truly useless, so you can save it for last. You should win before then, anyway.

I'd probably move some of the Good tier down 1 or 2 but I cba to quibble because the bulk of the top 2 tiers is spot on!

Those are the only changes I would make. Great list!

This is a solid list. I'd push Greece, Germany and The Maya into the Top Tier, though.

Greece's UA makes it so much cheaper to maintain the alliances. In most games, in all honesty, once they're mine, they're mine. My style of domination makes big use of CS alliances, so for me Greece seem really OP.

And Germany's UAs make it really cheap and easy to assemble a decent army with Honor. Less good for Liberty, but then Hanse is really good for Liberty.

The Maya give you the chance to collect promotions right from the start, plus even if most of the GP are not great for domination, you can use them for SOMETHING.

GAd = explore the other continent early
GW = hit the next SP earlier

etc. Only the GM is truly useless, so you can save it for last. You should win before then, anyway.

I'd probably move some of the Good tier down 1 or 2 but I cba to quibble because the bulk of the top 2 tiers is spot on!

Those are the only changes I would make. Great list!

The Maya gives nothing for domination, just science, the UU is bad and archer are quickly get anyway, I don't feel like it helps to play Maya to win domination, I just feel like play a standard Civ. It's a very good one for other thing but not domination.

Germany is great I agree, but it's luck based barbarian and the production is great but you can have CS embargo and yourself and then it's too late in the game, this would be great if you had the UB in early medieval or even before, but it comes when you don't need production to build an army and you don't rush this tech, you want militaristic tech. So they are just good, they are great for late game for sure but domination is all about the early game, you will win faster a game with the Zulu or Mongolia than Germany it's 100% sure.

The good tier is fine, if I had to change it I would make another list between good and standard, like, 'not so great' but I'd just put the iroquois.

I agree Greece is really good, but unlike Sweden you have to pay CS, when you get them all free for free with Sweden. Greece is still on top of my Good civ, so it's almost a top civ. It's just I don't see Greece as good as The Zulu, Incas and other really good civs. Keep in mind TOP tier is really the best civs, the GOD tier is just broken civ and they are just three.

They are ok, not as amazing as the unique unit from brazil or ethiopia in my opinion. Chariot archer are useful to take cities but the scaling is bad and bowman or catapult can do the just just fine and scale way better.

I agree with your opinion of the War Chariot, but I think Brazil's UU is garbage. I think Brazil is a bad choice for all victory types. Including culture because of their jungle bias which usually means low production, so no tourism wonders.

I agree with your opinion of the War Chariot, but I think Brazil's UU is garbage. I think Brazil is a bad choice for all victory types. Including culture because of their jungle bias which usually means low production, so no tourism wonders.

It's not garbage, I'd put them on good civ if it was earlier, golden age is great but they arrive just so late... you'll get them when you're about to finish the last AI with nukes. Well, most of the time. Yes jungle is awful for early wars, tourism useless aswell, I often pick my ideology without caring about it, I had -20 penalty of unhappiness but commerce gave me 22 so I was happy anyway and my rush foreign legion stomp the world. Brazil like all standard civ are just standard, they have bonus that can be useful, but it's not for world domination.

You can win deity at turn 100 with the Huns, 200 with Arabia and Mongolia.

You really don't need any special civ to win 200 turn domination on standard pangea map.

Babylon in bottom tier - another great tier list.

You really don't need any special civ to win 200 turn domination on standard pangea map.

Babylon in bottom tier - another great tier list.

Question, do you play deity? Do you win domination? Yes all civ can win before turn 200 if it's pangea because pangea is just too easy? Then you have continent and fregate. Yes babylone suck for domination compared to the other civ.

Yes all civ can win before turn 200 if it's pangea because pangea is just too easy? Then you have continent and fregate. Yes babylone suck for domination compared to the other civ.

Yeah ability to get xbows, frigates, artillery, bombers, etc before any civ is just plain garbage; but mounted archery units are just great on archipelago, continents.

you will win faster a game with the Zulu or Mongolia than Germany it's 100% sure.

No doubt about it, which is why I'm not arguing for God Tier or even top of the top tier, but they are undoubtedly better than Ottomans, if only for the land maintenance saving.

I agree Greece is really good, but unlike Sweden you have to pay CS, when you get them all free for free with Sweden. Greece is still on top of my Good civ, so it's almost a top civ. It's just I don't see Greece as good as The Zulu, Incas and other really good civs. Keep in mind TOP tier is really the best civs, the GOD tier is just broken civ and they are just three.

You won't find a bigger fan of Sweden on these boards than myself, and I think as a purely Domination civ they are better than Greece. But Greece are still great, I think. Anyway, I try not to compare one civ with another myself. :)

I think you severely undervalue scientific advantage.

I think people over rate science for domination. You can win a war with musketman against riflman, triple against bombers. You can win domination going straight for gun poweder, no need to rush scientific buildings, no need to go rationalism, you just need promotions. Focus on science is not useful, if you do, you won't outtech the AI before renaissance, so you'll still fight with medieval units against medieval, since there is almost no NEW units in renaissance, then you start snowballing with science in industrial, but this mean you focused hard on it, by the time I usually enter industrial I own half of the map and conquer the other during the industrial era. I won game with standard units before anyone get flight, where science was going to help me there? I just needed money and happiness, + promotion, not science.

No doubt about it, which is why I'm not arguing for God Tier or even top of the top tier, but they are undoubtedly better than Ottomans, if only for the land maintenance saving.

You won't find a bigger fan of Sweden on these boards than myself, and I think as a purely Domination civ they are better than Greece. But Greece are still great, I think. Anyway, I try not to compare one civ with another myself. :)

The janissary is really insane... 50 hp healed when killing a unit and it has +25% combat strenght bonus... It's the same thing I said before, it's the early game, germany comes to power too late, the ottoman get domination victory before and easier. However if you don't snowball hard in the early game then yes germany become better but don't forget the janissary keep the promotion, both of them.

Sweden is my favorite civ aswell! It's just so great to play them and paint the map in blue.

I think people over rate science for domination. You can win a war with musketman against riflman, triple against bombers.

Due to AIs inability to fight you can also win deity domination with only melee units - no archery or siege (yes there was such challenge on this forum some time ago)

Does it mean it better to play without it (archery units)? (does it mean it's better to war with musketmen against riflemen or otherwise?)

Focus on science is not useful, if you do, you won't outtech the AI before renaissance.

Do you hear about Xbow rush? (Babylon free GS could be usfull fot it - no?)

Anyway I just leave this thread alone - trying to convince somebody on internet forum is never-ending job :(

Due to AIs inability to fight you can also win deity domination with only melee units - no archery or siege (yes there was such challenge on this forum some time ago)

Does it mean it better to play without it (archery units)? (does it mean it's better to war with musketmen against riflemen or otherwise?)

Do you hear about Xbow rush? (Babylon free GS could be usfull fot it - no?)

Anyway I just leave this thread alone - trying to convince somebody on internet forum is never-ending job :(

No it's better to use siege units to clean the game quickly. Well I don't see the point of a rush composite bowman, you'll perhaps sneak some turns, but anyway you start gettting experience on archers, you can even get +1 range on archer during a constant war. I never focus on science and I never feel like I need to be ahead to win. I agree debating is not interesting if we refuse to listen what the other say, I might be wrong and you're right. But I don't care about science to get domination I'd rather have promotions faster, good UU, Gold, Happiness, Productions. The AI suck anyway.

No it's better to use siege units to clean the game quickly. Well I don't see the point of a rush composite bowman, you'll perhaps sneak some turns, but anyway you start gettting experience on archers, you can even get +1 range on archer during a constant war. I never focus on science and I never feel like I need to be ahead to win. I agree debating is not interesting if we refuse to listen what the other say, I might be wrong and you're right. But I don't care about science to get domination I'd rather have promotions faster, good UU, Gold, Happiness, Productions. The AI suck anyway.

Its always nice to discuss opposing views on strategies that are considered canon on civfanatics.

Top Bottom