Multiplayer Vs Single Player -> Which one do you prefer and why?

'Human Multiplayer Mode' Or 'Single Player Vs AI Mode'

• Total voters

wc3promet

Warlord
Multiplayer Vs Single Player -> Which one do you prefer and why?

Because the AI are more predictable, and the combat with a human is much more interesting.

I like SP because in MP you have to have your own "group" to play with and if you dont your screwed because almost all games have passwords and the ones that dont people are constantly trying to get into and thus people are always leaving and coming and makes things very very slow and boring.

I dont have my own groupd to play with as none of my friends are into Civ and the people who i do know from this webiste and whatever live and diffrent time zones so I can never arrange a game. so Im stuck trying to play with the "common" folks and it sucks.

I play single player, mainly because no one will be willing to put up with my time schedule. I will sometimes not touch a game for two weeks, but then play 8 hours straight, and I also need a lot of time for my turns. Even if someone would be willing to put up with that, how large is the chance that the other players will always have spare time just when I have?

Also, I hate it when people leave a game in progress, which many people do as soon as they see they can't win the game.

Chopper the only exclusions I am aware of in MP are those about being Ladder. You can sign up for the ladder at www.myleague.com/civ4players and I am sure you will find many games to play. Also in the ladder you will see less people "leaving" the game as most if not all ladder games go to preappointed end roughly 120 to 150 turns. Also if you like to play longer games we have epics as well. Look for KC_Random and I will play with you ladder or not... Happy civing all...

Psyringe said:
I play single player, mainly because no one will be willing to put up with my time schedule. I will sometimes not touch a game for two weeks, but then play 8 hours straight, and I also need a lot of time for my turns. Even if someone would be willing to put up with that, how large is the chance that the other players will always have spare time just when I have?

Also, I hate it when people leave a game in progress, which many people do as soon as they see they can't win the game.

Id be willing to play with you. i can put up with it lol I only go to school for 2 1/2 hours a day and im no longer working at the moment. so if you want to set up a game some time just give me a PM.

hexabob said:
Chopper the only exclusions I am aware of in MP are those about being Ladder. You can sign up for the ladder at www.myleague.com/civ4players and I am sure you will find many games to play. Also in the ladder you will see less people "leaving" the game as most if not all ladder games go to preappointed end roughly 120 to 150 turns. Also if you like to play longer games we have epics as well. Look for KC_Random and I will play with you ladder or not... Happy civing all...

ok I'll look around for you. and i check out that ladder.

I didnt really mean exclusion just the most people only play with their friends and dont have games open to the public. and the ones that are, are floaded by people coming and going and is such a pain in the ass and really takes all the fun out of it.

Hmmm.... no option for my preference - MP humans teaming up against the AI. But of the two, I'd have to go with single player. I'd certainly never venture out into the real world and play strangers! It's scary out there...;)

I like both depending how much time i wont to spend getting how far. Im not the patient type. I rarely play anything but Quick game. So the part i like about SP is that it runs really quick and you can play a game in like 1 or 2 hours.

But from time to time im getting tires of mindless AI's doing hopeless movement while at war. Surely the AI grows its empire quick. But it is awfully stupit when at war. You can easily beat a computer that have 150% your army size. The AI usely have 3 or 4 defending unit in each city, insted of pulling the defenders to the cityes actually close to the border line. And the AI dosnet now how to produce lots of the same units. Have you ever seen a AI attacking with a stack of 10 Modern Armors? Or just combining just to units type (Siege and best slow attacker) It always use 5 different types of attack and attack with mouted units one turn, just to realize that the slow attackes and the seige weapons will reach the city a turn or two later

thats the nice about MP, you'll play agians ppl thats acctually thinks while playing. Besides computeres advanges when plying above Noble level seems somehow unrealistik

MP is certainly much more exciting and intense. However, you have to set aside a good chunk of time to devote to the game session so as not to frustrate the other players. For those of us married with children, this can be a problem. ;)

I prefer multiplayer hotseat, although I am turned off a bit because I can no longer use my custom maps in hotseat play.

Single Player games are interesting again in cIV. I got really bored of SP in Civ3.

And I'm odd.. Sometimes I'll play hotseat by myself and control every civ, because I like the role-play experience. I give a nation to each voice in my head! :lol:

Darwin420 said:
I prefer multiplayer hotseat, although I am turned off a bit because I can no longer use my custom maps in hotseat play.

Why is it btw. it aint possible to play custom maps in custom game and in multiplayer. F.eks. ill like to play eath as in teams and quick game speed. But in costom game it is only possible to play the ramdon generated maps (like Great_plans, inland_sea etc.)

You should've included Hotseat MP in the poll.

That's only MP I enjoy.
It's casual, you don't need to be fast on mouse, you can play long and "epic" games (especially with family), and with enough AIs there is room for everyone to enjoy.

I have never tried multi, because:

I don't have the time
I don't trust others to complete the game, or play it "right"...
I don't have the time
I don't want to play with kiddies who whine
I don't have the time

I really would like to play multiplayer but since 1.52 I had nothing but trouble. So with 1.52 patch I prefer single since multiplayer is now more painful than Play the World was. I'm sure this will be fixed in future patches.

Single Player here.

Multiplayer is just full of warmongers. Most games I've played ended really early since everyone's destroyed each other, usually before the middle ages. It feels more like a war game than civilization. I prefer the epic and eventful single player games, even if the AI is sometimes easy to predict.

Oh, and the 'dropping players' and lag are a pain.

Though if someone wants to play private games with me, maybe a team vs. 10 AI civilization, on epic or marathon speed, I wouldn't mind. I'm unemployed, and do nothing all day but play civilization. If you got time and maybe want to arrange something... private message me. I've been playing civilization since I was 13, so I am pretty good at it.

Fanaza said:
Single Player here.

Multiplayer is just full of warmongers.
Don't you mean full of barbarians? :D
P.S Well atleast you don't hear anyone claiming how easy it is to win the space race in multiplayer.

I only play FPS games on multiplayer. Why? Because, at least theoretically, you can jump on a random server for 5-15 minutes and have fun. Of course I might end up playing for hours, but that's another matter. For strategy games, 15 minutes is barely enough time to get started and it all takes more commitment. I wouldn't want to trust random people off the internet with this. I've played coop RPG games online with friends and still we had problems with people not showing up for futher sessions.

I'll stick with quick action games for MP, though I might try hotseat for Civ4.

Top Bottom