Kris Swordsman -- I'm not really a"WTF!!" kinda guy, but if I was...

Nope, you are not reading it wrong. There's an achievement for taking an enemy city with a Kris Swordsman who has the Enemy Blade "promotion" though.

I'm not reading clear through to the end of this thread cause it really doesn't do anything for me, but I saw far enough to read your post here and it just seams like Firaxis created this units' abilities just so a player could make that achievement. Why else give a unit top notch negatives...lol

Just thought I'd say..:crazyeye::crazyeye:

Yes, in my opinion the Candi is enough to make them a workable civ. It can generate more faith in one city than any wonder and can be built in all cities. In a recent Indonesia Piety game I was pulling 120 fpt in Medieval, I settled like six Great Prophets and looked like France. Plus it's a garden that can be built in any city - which fixes the Great Person deficit that coastal-focused civs often run into.

But their UA is frustrating even on island maps. I've floundered both times I've tried them on island maps, economy etc take too long to get up waiting for Compass and you don't really have any time to focus on religion.

The devs seemed to design Indonesia to answer the question, "what can be done to make settling off-continent more rewarding?" But a little free happiness doesn't fix the huge pressures on city-expansion syncing that cause most starts to fall apart if cities 2-4 aren't settled before turn 60 and if extra cities after then aren't settled ten turns after NC (because outside of that timing, building orders will constantly be out of sync and make National Wonders impossible).

It's not the happiness that's Indonesia's main weapon, it's the second copy. Indonesia has a game-long monopoly on each of its unique resources, something that's not reliably true of any other civ for any resource. You really should never have economy problems as Indonesia as long as you have a trading partner with a positive gpt.

"Recruitment: heal all damage after killing a non-barb unit"
That's a lie. It heals exactly 50 damage, no more.

Normally I'm skeptical of game elements that are based purely on luck. For example, I find Spain's concept to be practically impossible to balance.

That said, I don't really mind the idea of the Kris swordsman. In most instances if you are actually using this unit for heavy combat in the classic age, you will be building many of them. The ones that get a negative promotion can be used as Rambo front line arrow-fodder. Even if they survive you don't need to upgrade them, simply disband later on. It's a small price to pay for having an army later on in the game that is full of units with amazing unique promotions.

Add to that the fact that the UB is decent and the UA is easily one of the strongest in the game, and everything seems fine.

Indonesia is an either\or civ.

You either get to use your UU or your UA but rarely both. Candis are sweet and u can always use them.

If you get an island start u can use your UA but you will prob not have iron cause you are on an island. If you get a land start..you get iron but no special luxes till late in the game.

I got Kris swordman as units from a militaristic city state long time ago. It was surprising and funny experience. Those two negative promotions is kind of an advantage because you can subtly manipulate the enemy's actions with those sacrificial units. They're more likely to be attacked and killed by enemy AIs because they're weaker than ones with good promotions.

While those ones is more likely to be left alone by human players because of more worrying threats from stronger swordsmen and you can factor this into plans. Unless the human player feels like he can afford to swat those weaker swordsmen and maintain his advantage against stronger swordsmen.

Alls I know is, when that promotion says Invulnerable it really means it.

That unit will never die if you don't want it to. Too bad defense is never the problem.

All i know is that even if u buff the combat power of them by 1 and remove the negative 2 promotions (thats what NQ mod did) they are still not strong enough to stand up to crossbows
and since u don't normaly tech the tech for them (unless coloses) early the time frame u can use them before crosbows is so small, that they are useles

Top Bottom