Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Hi guys, first post here and I look forward to be a part of this great community :)

My problem is simple : I cannot unpack the mods I downloaded from Steam Workshop.
I've found all the folders explained in AlanH first post (thanks a lot by the way man !), but I can't unpack the mods into folders.
I've been reading countless threads and watched video tutorials, it seems like my Mac doesn't want to unpack those files. I'm bummed...
I even tried to change the name or extensions but it doesn't change a thing.
Again, I've found all the folders, I'm just looking for a way to unpack those files.
I'm using The Unarchiver and Keka but everytime I run those, the file is extracted as a .civ5mod file............
Please, I beg you, help me :(

Hi, welcome.

Have you tried using the AppleScript that is linked in the first post? Look at the UPDATE 19 June 2014 entry.That really is the easiest way to handle Steam Workshop files.

AlanH, you are my hero of the day ! Thank you SOOOOO much hahaha :)
It works fine now ! I just cannot thank you enough man haha ;)
Take care !! ;)

Hello, AlanH, and thank you for this very excellent thread. Recently, I've had some trouble with mods in Civ V. I've been following your directions to the letter, but I seem to have run into a problem at step 6. When I go to ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS on the Finder, my mac states that it doesn't exist. Do you have any ideas what went wrong?

Thank you in advance, the work here's amazing! :)
P.S. My first post here!

Hi, welcome. Are you running the Steam installation, or the Apple AppStore version? That folder should exist if you are with Steam, but you need a different path for the AppStorre Campaign Edition

Well, that path works fine for me if I copy and paste it into the "Finder->Go->Go to folder…" menu dialog.

But as I keep stating, by far the easiest way to enable and install mods on the Steam version is to subscribe to them in the Steam Workshop. Then download the AppleScript that's linked in the first post here, and that should do the whole job for you. Re-run the script whenever you subscribe to a new mod.

Hi Alan,
I ran the AppleScript, but when I start up the game and go into the mods section from the main menu, there are no mods. I'm using the Steam version of the game. Also, when I ran the script a new file showed up called "Civ5 Enable Steam Mods.app". What can I do to make this work?
Thanks

Edit: never mind I got it to work

Hi, welcome :wavey:

The file you download from here is a zipped copy of the script. See Step #1 in post 414 where you downloaded it.

When you ran it, all that happened was that you expanded the zip file to create "Civ5 Enable Steam Mods.app". This is the script. so you should now run it to do the magic stuff.

Hey guys, first post here.

So, I did everything that you instructed on the updated post but I still can't see the mods in the menu. I do see a Mod menu but there is nothing in it.

I bought a physical copy of CIV V and use steam to play it, so I think I have the Steam.

Is there something that I need to do to "run" the script? I thought maybe all I needed to do was double click it, but I feel like I am wrong.
Hopefully you might have an idea.

Thank you

Which mods did you subscribe to in Steam Workshop? Are they compatible with the version of Civ5 are you running, and did you run the Applescript after you subscribed to them?

Thank you for brain storming with me.

I am trying to download the Info addict by Rob K and I have God and kinds and also Brave new world.

Yep, I ran the script after downloading them.

Hmm. That mod works for me, and you have the fully expanded game. When you ran the script, did you see a Terminal window that said it had found an expanded the mod?

Have a look in the following folder (~/Library is in your user home folder, and is normally invisible. Hold the Alt key down in the Finder and click on the Go menu to see a Library option):

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata

In that folder there should be a folder with a numeric name. Open that folder and follow the path ugc/referenced/ and find one or more numeric folder names. Inside one of those folders, there should be a file called infoaddict (v 22)_orig.civ5mod.

If so, the mod has been expanded and installed. so look in ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS. If there is a folder called infoaddict (v 22), then the installation was successful, and I do not know why your Mods menu is not displaying it.

If instead there is a file called infoaddict (v 22).civ5mod, the original mod file has been downloaded, but it has not been installed. Try running the script again, and copy and paste the Terminal output that is produced to a post here.

If neither of these files exists in that area, then the mod has not been downloaded. Try going back to Steam Workshop, click on Unsubscribe for the InfoAddict mod, and then click Subscribe again. Look again for the downloaded file. If it has now been downloaded then run the script again.

Let me know what you find.

Hi Alan!!

I'm using Civ V from app. store. I can't modify/save MainMenu.lua on text wrangler, it said "application error code: 20004"
I wonder if anyone having this problem?

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Yes, it looks as if Text Wrangler doesn't permit editing a read-only file. You'll have to change the permissions on the file and its container - the FrontEnd folder - to give everyone read and write permission.
Do that in Finder:

Select the file or folder
Select Get Info
Click the lock button at the bottom of the window
Under Sharing and permissions, change the Read only entry next to everyone to Read & Write.

You should then be able to edit and save the file.

Top Bottom