The Deity Challenge Line-up #41 - Shoshone

Acken

Deity
There is now a thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546469

The map is attached at the bottom of this post !

Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.

Rules:

- New games will be posted every 15 days.
- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.
- When posting about your victory, please begin the post with the turn number and Victory Condition in bold letters - e.g. "T247 DiploV" (this is so the person who updates the spreadsheet can see it more easily)

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

- - -

DCL Game #41
You: Shoshone
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Great Plains Plus

Extra Settings:

Difficulty:
Spoiler :
Easy to Medium

Starting Location:

Spoiler :

Quick combat and movement are on (turn them off if you like)

Game Version - 1.0.3.279
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Spain and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Past Games

Spoiler :
Super Easy

Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangaea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval

Easy

Game #03 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #05 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #06 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #08 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Fractal
Game #34 30/06/15 Egypt Europe
Game #36 20/07/15 Assyria Mesopotamia
Game #40 10/09/15 Korea Pangea

Medium

Game #01 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #07 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangaea
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangaea
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangaea
Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents
Game #32 10/06/15 England Continents
Game #33 20/06/15 Songhai Pangaea
Game #37 05/08/15 France Inland Sea
Game #38 15/08/15 Greece Lakes
Game #41 20/09/15 Shoshone Great Plains Plus

Hard

Game #02 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #04 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #09 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #30 20/05/15 Iroquois Pangea
Game #31 31/05/15 Ottomans Fractal
Game #39 01/09/15 Ausria Ice Age

Super Hard

Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangaea

Past Games Links
Spoiler :

Game #01 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #02 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #03 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #04 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #05 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #06 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #07 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #08 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #09 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangea
Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangea
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangea
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Continents
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval
Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents
Game #30 20/05/15 Iroquois Pangea
Game #31 31/05/15 Ottomans Continents
Game #32 10/06/15 England Continents
Game #33 20/06/15 Songhai Pangea
Game #34 30/06/15 Egypt Europe
Game #35 10/07/15 Siam OCC Pangea
Game #36 20/07/15 Assyria Mesopotamia
Game #37 05/08/15 France Inland Sea
Game #38 15/08/15 Greece Lakes
Game #39 01/09/15 Austria Ice Age
Game #40 10/09/15 Korea Pangea
Game #41 01/09/15 Shoshone Great Plains Plus

- - -

I hope you all enjoy the map!

If you want to share a map please send a private message.

Please note that maps you wish to share MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs from your computer.

Attachments

• DCL #41 - Shoshone.Civ5Save
    461.2 KB · Views: 305
Great Plains Plus...not played on that map before. Great Plains is kinda fun for fast domination, so maybe I'll give Liberty CB rush a go for a change ;)

I've played this map before and I think its way too easy.

Just now I played 80 turns and made myself late for work. Then I forgot to save it. :(

Spoiler :

Luckily there is a t70 auto save.

Sweet! Thank you Acken, cannot blame you for retiring after the next couple.

After moving the pathfinder to a hill, I will almost certainly just settle-in-place. For cap, wet hill is almost as good as founding on hill. Expos on hills though. I hope to try Liberty again.

This map is perfect for a CB rush. If DomV noobs want my advice on whom to target first, I'd say
Spoiler :
the NW neighbour.
Drop 3 cities as fast as poss w. Liberty, and beeline Construction and take them out!

In theory many CSs should be on islands instead of the main landmass, so there is less land on the main landmass (so easier Dom). But this is like the start bias, it's not guaranteed.

I took consentient's advice and am going liberty CB rush -

Spoiler :

I got off to a pretty good start with 2 worker steals from venice and another from barbs that took one of Ragusa's. Took culture, tech, tech, and CB upgrade from ruins. In retrospect maybe I should have taken the 2nd culture instead of the CB upgrade because culture is so slow with liberty.

Attilla settled very quickly and attacked me turn 58 with a very large army composed mostly of warriors and battering rams but also with several horse archers. Luckily I had gotten construction a few turns earlier and had my CB army up and ready to go. I was actually about to attack him around turn 55 when I saw his army coming and decided it was better to hang back and wait for his DoW.

9 turns later most of his army is dead and the tide has turned. Hopefully I'll be able to take his cities fairly quickly. After that I think Poland is next as they tried to sneak attack me right after Attilla declared war and I had to pay Carthage quite a bit to declare war on them before they declared on me. I'm hoping I can take care of most of the map with crossbows.

Great plains does not have any water? Well I thought the "Plus" meant that for all the maps. There is a surprising lack of info about the Great Plains Plus script.

In theory many CSs should be on islands instead of the main landmass, so there is less land on the main landmass (so easier Dom). But this is like the start bias, it's not guaranteed.

I like the plus scripts for pangaea and continents, so I am familiar in that context. But I thought people found them harder for dom because the CS were less accessible? Do the plus script change the shape of the main landmass shape? I thought they just changed the location of the CS? Do CS get placed before or after the major civs?

I did not realize that plus on Great Plains was an option. The other plus maps just say "additional scripting for CS location". So I would anticipate that the CS are mostly around the edges of the map.

I managed to earn a triple DoW.

:/

I got a quadruple DOW :( ... and just because
Spoiler :
I killed Attilla

I had 3 friends backstab me with denouncements, then war.

Not sure I'll be able to survive. What to do differently? Maybe its necessary
Spoiler :
not to take any of Attilla's cities besides the capital? Leaving him alive behind me doesn't make me real comfortable either though...

T190 Dom

I seriously dislike maps where navy is obsolete but I was even more disappointed when I found out that this isn't a globe either but other than that nothing spectacular. In the beginning I didn't have much of a clue what to do as while waiting for this I played started the Lizzy DCL to get something going - very different games. On hindsight I'd have changed my tech path a bit and build orders a lot but live & learn.
Most of the conquering with XBows and the last city with arties. The first one didn't need much as it was a second hand deal when I got it.

Few notes but I'll fill this up with pics later.

Spoiler :

Two workers from Venice, forgot to build more for a while, planned more cities but Attila seemed hungry and the scouted dirt was crap so I ignored the 4th settler. Double culture, pop & faith from ruins and ended up with Sun God which was pointless as there was no happiness to support the growth.
T54 horizon filled with HAs so I denounced and he went for Venice so Enrico was a ghost ~T75. Harun suggested a retaliation so I snatched Venice few turns later with a massive army of 3 CBs & Horseman. Instead of keeping it I should've liberated as it only had a shrine and very few tiles to work.

T70 3C NC, T78 Liberty -> planted GS, T79 Pyramids, T96 Machinery & T107 Education as I couldn't decide what to tech I teched all sorts of unnecessary stuff.
With XBows I moved towards AC but with empty vault & -20 gpt he still provided almost endless units. No advance, not much xp for anyone so a crappy war. Lack of money didn't help either but without cultural CS the policies came way too slowly.

AC fell somewhere T125, Warsaw T147, Moscow T171 from Poland, Constantinople T184 and Honolulu & Mecca T190.

Liberty, left side of Honor & Ratio opener, one RA with Harun which gave 2 turns worth of beakers, LToP GE user for Branderburg but a GS would've been much better though I ended up with 2 GSs hanging around just like 3 Artists.

pics

Spoiler :

I had a bad feeling about this and after denouncing he went for Venice.

All I did was catch & then kill few warriors.

I've rarely spent this much time with Attila but the surprise Knights were nasty.

I had a plan but forgot that one can't put citadel on oasis so the initial stage took longer but for my pleasant surprise GW was in Lodz.

Very uncooperative Casimir, impenetrable terrain and his capital moved to Moscow :(
which took ages to get.

Even worse terrain than by Great Polish Province of Russia so I was lazy & waited for arties.

Slow killing as I didn't want to cap before Mecca.

Arties rule even if few are lost and I wasn't short of GGs.

T61 lost cap. Was trying to build the ’mids. Should have be building archers. But I am not sure that will save me...

I think I'll try HCA instead of liberty, I'm guessing pathfinders should help a bit with getting early culture, the pastures pantheon would also be great but I'm sure the AI will think so as well.

I will probably start warring in the direction Consentient advised before XB's, but will start the big push a bit later than CBs. Is the "normal" start 3 city NC, tech luxuries -> philosophy -> machinery, build archers whenever possible and start getting XP?

Edit: played a couple turns, never played Shoshone before but I think it'll be difficult to wean off them. The city tiles and pathfinder are absolutely amazing!

Top Bottom