The Deity Challenge Line-up #24 - Arabian nights

Acken

Deity
Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.
Rules:
Spoiler :

This was a fortnightly event, but the schedule has changed and new games will now be posted every 10 days.

- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

* In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

New - For better view please put your results in bold letters so that the person that updates the spreadsheet can quickly see it.

DCL Game #24
You: Arabia
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Pangea

Easy difficulty

Starting Location:
Spoiler :

Settings: Quick combat/movement (turn it back on if you would like)
Everything else is set to default.
Game Version - 1.0.3.276
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Schedule
Spoiler :

Game #1 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #2 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #3 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #4 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #5 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #6 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #7 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #8 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #9 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangea
Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangea
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangea
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's)

I hope you all enjoy the map!

If you have any comments, questions or would like to submit a map for consideration for future challenges, please send an email to: deitychallenge@outlook.com
*Temporary kept the same mail address, may change in the future - Acken

Please note that submitted maps MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs. I suggest you disable these map DLCs on steam directly. Steam will uninstall them, just reactivate them when you need them. Thanks.

Attachments

• DCL #24 - Arabia.Civ5Save
    510.5 KB · Views: 303
I was believing god for a second but then I saw easyddifficulty and got confused. (?)

T297 DiploV

Spoiler :
A frustrating game. The hardest Small Piety game I've played. The religion took over really well and I had an insane amount of faith, but being Arabia I didn't think I would need Tithe and I was so wrong. Bismarck turned into a complete runaway, and was even spending money to buy the CS. In the end I had to mortgage the kids and sell the carpets just to win. I was also having to deal with Infantry barbarian rebels at the time I wanted to concentrate on winning the WL vote. I think I won at the 3rd vote. Can't exactly remember, they have all started to blur together. Just before the last one I realised I had to use a lot of resources to bribe Bismarck to make peace with Pedro because he was about to take Rio and without my diplomat there I would not have had enough votes, and there would not have been enough time for him to make connections or whatever it's called, in the new capital.

I should also say that I went for 5 cities, which is usually not advisable for Small Piety, but I knew that the 4th and 5th spots would have been claimed by aggressive a-holes if I didn't do it. I know this because I had to use all my units to keep their settlers at bay.

I think I'm kinda done with Small Piety for a while, and peaceful play in general. Next DCL I am gonna go back to conquest...probably.

t11 update: "an unknown civilization chose to adopt a pantheon (desert folklore)". Ummm, just no.

That's a ragequit moment right there :D

edit: this looks like a good enough map for a Camel rampage but can also be a Petra/Liberty/Piety combo for a semi decent peaceful victory. But since Camels are basically heavier Keshiks, it might be a good plan to take out certain people

Not sure I will get Petra since I am expanding like crazy to claim the desert.

Meanwhile, my game bugged out. Not complaining. :rolleyes: Founded religion on t40.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 706
If I were Acken, I would probably grab Jesuit Education (it is available!!). But I'll do me and pick something like Unity of the Prophets and build the NC after t200. :p

That is not a bug, but the effect of religious tolerance (because your own pantheon is the second largest religion).

t131. "Sejong has entered the Industrial Era!" Puh-lease, give me a break. We gonna hafta organize our converted german brethren to fight those korean heretics.

Could you explain this? Your own pantheon is desert folklore, but then religious tolerance gives you the same bonus again?

For a limited time. When you have pantheon followers in that city. When there is only followers of your religion bonus fades away.

That is not a bug, but the effect of religious tolerance (because your own pantheon is the second largest religion).

Actually it's the opposite; when your pantheon is the main religion and your religion is the 2nd popular one (happens when your own cities have some followers, but has not been converted) then you get doubled pantheon bonus.

If pantheon is the 2nd largest and your religion is the main one, you get nothing extra. So it will only last as long as the main religion is your pantheon (and since there is no way to "spread" pantheon, the bonus is guaranteed to disappear with time); if you want it to last long, found the religion when your cities are already big.

t258 DiploV. Just getting all that $$$ from religion, trade, and oil. Check out that 946 gpt! :p :lol: Full Piety and a little bit of Patronage, Commerce, Rationalism and Order.

Thankfully, Korea was close but hadn't launched because my bestie Bismark was always ready to DoW Sejong for 5 gpt. I also stole like literally half the tech tree and bulbed Globalization, but I actually didn't need it because I imposed world religion and ideology and allied every CS with my cash flow.

Stupid Sejong built Petra in a city with 1 desert tile. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 520
Ok, tried once and got massively beat to Petra. I think it is actually hard to get with this start, especially if you SIP since you have practically no hills. I was trying to go for a Camel Archer Rush but basing it off the Liberty Domination guide, which is tailored for CB->Xbows, so it's a bit complex. I think I will try again and this time stop Brazil massively forward settling me, as well as not going for wonders and instead trying to get a decent 4-city setup with NC by T70ish, and not warring in classical. Might not go well, but if Camel Archers are as good as people say I ought to at least be able to take out Pedro, and then decide on a wincon after that.

Top Bottom