TSG119 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG119 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Did you use your UU?
- Was your UB helpful?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order?
- Did you conquer Gandhi or make him your partner?

Didn't go too well.. lots of missclicks (lost worker, lost great general), buttrape by Gandhi :eek:, +5 missed wonders by 1-5 turns etc...
But I'm satisfied afterall.
I didn't expect Gandhi to DoW me, so he got my 3rd city before I got a army up and got it back. As payment of this I took all his cities + cap later on.
Aaaand messed up the end and tried to rush last spaceship parts with engineers but didn't have the policy for rushing :lol:
So lost 8 turns at the end. + 1 more turn cause of unhappiness and spawning rebels.
Nuff said, pfft.

Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1929AD
Turns played: 349
Base score: 1462
Final score: 2118
Time played: 5:25:00

Attachments

• 2015-10-03_00001.jpg
    2015-10-03_00001.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 285
Game date: 1804AD
Turns played: 272
Base score: 1364
Final score: 2525
Time played: 7:30:00

Decided to forward settle India but not DoW him, even for worker steals.
Late NC at 101 with 3 cities, due to some early wonders in capital delayed expo. Planted 2 more coastal cities afterwards to feed capital.
Education 126, Scientific Theory 184, Plastics 229
Time is slower than expected probably due to inability to steal any tech on immortal. Capped on happiness mid game and need to spend a lot of gold to buy CS so not enough gold to buy all schools and labs. Also Siam was trying to buy my CS to block my world ideology vote so had to spend some gold and coup to get them back.
WC: WF (won), WI:freedom, proposed IG just to stay friends with my bankers after ideology. Not enough time to push science funding with too many arts civs.
Arabia had some good dirt in Mecca and beat me to several wonders, including LToP and Big Ben despite me having a large head start.
Managed to get ToA, MoH, Oracle, PT, SoL, HST in that order.

Messed up by mistyping 61 instead of 612 gold so lost like 500g from one of the loan. Also my late game bulbing was not timed correctly and Apollo Project took too long to complete. Also not careful and generated an extra GE, but used for HST. Probably wasn't that bad since capital production was pretty low without nuclear plant.

- Did you use your UU? No, useless for peaceful game.

- Was your UB helpful? No, all marshes had sugar on starting continent.

- Did you use spying to your advantage? No tech to steal, killed many spies tho, lots of coup near the end.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? Lack of early worker steals except for some cs and India.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? Went for essential wonders only, with some additional early ones such as ToA. Only signed 1 RA in beginning.

- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How? Used for faith buying 2 GS, didn't bother with my own religion, took sun god pantheon for extra food.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? full trad, commerce opener, rationalism till free thought, freedom till universal suffrage, commerce till mercantalism, finish freedom/rationalism while timing ratio finisher on nanotech.

No war with him, he's peaceful and shouldn't backstab even after my stealing of his land, and stayed friends forever. I needed someone to buy my luxury before meeting other continents. The trick is to get him to friendly without coveting my land, easily done with some gift and caravan.

Spoiler :

Turn 337 win.
Very happy considering I was not even thinking about any of those timings, such as the NC, the GS bulbing or when to spend faith etc.
Had a really good start but could have done even better. Gandhi was never a problem and was kept down all game, ended up taking Delhi mid to late game then left him alone and finished as quickly as possible. Did too much science, and was doing useless techs before the spaceship techs without noticing lol, so could have probably finished up to 20 turns earlier if I had been mindful of that. Had around 1670 science per turn after all research labs were up.

- Did you use your UU? Yes, to kill Gandhi and have fun.

- Was your UB helpful? No.

- Did you use spying to your advantage? For a while on Siam, then only to friend city states after stealing about 2 techs science I had milked them dry. Arabia was the frontrunner in my game, but still not much of one.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? Help, was easy to keep Gandhi at bay and leisurely settle the continent.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? Was surprised by how many wonders I got. Even got forbidden palace, and all the science wonders I wanted though I didn't try for GL.

- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How? Used for faith to buy 4 GE and 2 GS so sure. And used it to buy science buildings in the one city that had jesuit education.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? full trad, exploration opener, plus 3 prod, rationalism most of it but did the last one a bit too late, left half of patronage for science bonus (was around 240 extra) and order chosen for factory bonus.

- Did you conquer Gandhi or make him your partner? Initially he was the partner, then I backstabbed him to take Delhi, then he was a sourpuss for the rest of the game denouncing me forever stuck with an landlocked inland city and a useless husk of a desert city on the coast lol.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 119
Date submitted: 2015-10-05 00:44:42
Reference number: 33308
Your name: Monthar
Game date: 1818AD
Turns played: 279
Base score: 1323
Final score: 2405
Time played: 3:57:00
Submitted save: TSG119_Science_Victory.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C511901.Civ5Save

Settled in place and went 3 city Tradition. I added a 4th city later, all coastal. I tried to get Lake Victoria with the 2nd city, but the CS expanded to that tile on the turn before I could build the city.

I'm kicking myself for a really stupid mistake that cost me close almost 20 turns. I went Freedom and as soon as I unlocked buy SS parts with cash, I forgot to take out a loan from the rich AIs to buy the rest of the parts. On turn 278 I realized this mistake, borrowed everything I could from Siam, bought the last 4 parts (1 in each city) then hit end turn. On turn 279, I launched all 4 of them. I probably could have shaved even more turns off if I'd grabbed the last policy in Freedom before finishing Rationalism. Thanks to the right side of Commerce and Big Ben, the parts only cost 1800:c5gold: each.

I was friends with everyone except China and Assyria for most of the game after meeting them. I had several RAs with everyone. Managed to get Porcelain Tower for the RA boost.

I think I'll reload from when I choose my ideology, as that's the last manual save before the submission save, and see if I can cut the turns down more.

Also, everyone else went Order, except two who went Autocracy. Thus as the only Freedom guy I started suffering happiness issues until I bought enough happiness buildings and a couple CSs. After that I was able to stay positive for pretty much the rest of the game.

Hi, I'm Nufro. Here's my very late T414 SV submission. Screwed up mid-game, had to recover through promoting Arts. Nearly got screwed by AI culture. Just barely beat Siam to launch thanks to my deeply unhappy Freedom.

Cheers!

Spoiler :

Attachments

• 2015-10-04_00002.jpg
    2015-10-04_00002.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 213
Turn 271 science win.

- Did you use your UU?
No

- Was your UB helpful?
No marshes and no flood plains, so no.

I didn't steal any technologies. I think better result would be if I had put my first spy to Siam capital and didn't try to defend agains stealing from me.

I was nice map. No wars for me, except one when I DoWed India for workers.

On 10th turn writing technology popped from ruins, but ignored rushing GL cause of immortal level.
Skipped also most of early wonders (only tried mausoleum of halicarnassus which I got before NC start, about 70 turn).

Yes, two GS purchased with faith

Full tradition, freedom for spaceshp parts buing, commerce for discounts (but missed Big Ben by 5 turns).

I stole two workers from him. I think I should also took from him one city to have total number of 5 cities.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Reference number: 33315
Your name: Ryanne
Game date: 1848AD
Turns played: 294
Base score: 1635
Final score: 2818
Time played: 10:22:00
Submitted save: TSG119_Final.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Ryanne_C511901.Civ5Save

I am moderately satisfied I suppose. I definitely got a little lazy mid-late game, going into semi-auto pilot mode with citizen management and build choices. My policy choices after finishing Tradition could have been better... (I opened Patronage and Exploration, then began filling up Rationalism/Order) I must have blacked out when choosing Exploration opener... maybe I thought i'd have time for a couple polices before Rationalism became available? :crazyeye:

Empire Overview:

http://imgur.com/a/4JN3b

Game date: 1858AD
Turns played: 299

Very surprised with how little resistance I had in this Immortal game - normally I find the AI puts up some sort of challenge at this level, but not on this map. Spent the last 50 odd turns waiting for my research to finish. Actually managed to ally with all City States, and without meaning to I could have won a diplomatic victory 10-15 turns earlier.

- Did you use your UU?
No, played a peaceful game... well, up until the end when I got bored and declared war on Assyria (who had taken out Morocco early on and was the points leaded), by which stage the UU was very obsolete

- Was your UB helpful?
No, never left starting island, and therefore had no marshes to improve (except for that ones with sugar)

Early on to get a couple of quick techs, but towards the end they were just on counter-espionage and city states

I think it helped having only the peaceful Gandhi on the starting island - but the time other civs made it to my island, I had pulled ahead in tech

Game ended up easier than I thought, so n/a

I ended up founding a religion with Stone Circles, Divine Inspiration, Mosques, Tithe and Religious Texts, which let me build up more faith for late GS purchases - certainly not necessary, but probably helped shave a few turns

All Liberty, then Patronage to Scholasticism whilst waiting for Rationalism / Ideologies, Order to Spaceflight Pioneers, then all of Rationalism (timed to get free Nanotechnology with the Kremlin)

Probably should have conquered him as he ended up taking up a lot of good land, but I didn't want the hassle so just partnered up with him. Ended up being friends with everyone except for Assyria (who everyone hated)

Finished 270-272 don't really remember played again but didn't do better my strategy was better but didn't micromanage as well as the first game.

Did you use your UU?
No

- Was your UB helpful?
I tried to keep my happiness up so I could sell the resources most of time I was able.
Didn't have any marsh

Turned culture city states

Easy map thought I had chance to break 250 turns but lost hanging gardens and big ben

I didn't get any early wonders played it safe should have grabbed Artemis

Sun Gods made me grow fast tough to keep happy, Artemis would compound problem.

Tradition->opened patronage->Rationalism->opened commerce->Freedom

Neither Ghandi under payed for marble and still hated me. Don't think I even got a worker. He friended me at end.

t259

t2 amsterdam (mountain)
t25 rotterdam (lake victoria)
t42 utrecht (river north of vilnius)
t48 groningen (mountain NW)
t84 NC
t92 tradition
t114 education (bought 1 university)
t125 rationalism (acoustics)
t136 astronomy (bought 2 observatories)
t141 rationalism 1
t158 rationalism 2
t164 scientific theory (4 bought)
t165 rationalism 3
t170 freedom (oxford -> radio)
t196 plastics (bulb, 4 bought)
t245 apollo start
t259 launch

*wonders:HG,MP,LTOP,PT,Hubble,STOL
*early trireme for exploration
*no prophet spawned at 85 and missed religion
*built 1 academy
*missed science funding by 1 vote
*had 1 GS to spare at the end

I have been stabbed in the back:mad:!!! Turn 305, I knew he was coming, I only needed 10 more turns. I figured he would screw around for 20 more turns before invading, but no. He got me, took city one, city two, and I beat him down but then Malacca got their revenge for my abusing them for the first 150 turns of the game to get a great general and steal back Lake Victoria. I actually enjoyed this loss more than if I had won it, it was quite hilarious to watch. I wish I had devoted the ten turns to manhatten project, this game would have gone quite differently then...:nuke::nuke::nuke:

Attachments

• 2015-10-11_00001.jpg
    2015-10-11_00001.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 2015-10-11_00003.jpg
    2015-10-11_00003.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 2015-10-11_00009.jpg
    2015-10-11_00009.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 166
Game date: 1892AD
Turns played: 316
Base score: 2030
Final score: 3222
Time played: 4:20:00

A painful finish as I really needed a Great Engineer on hand to finish my spaceship. That could have saved 7-8 turns. I am tempted to replay from the point I chose Order instead of Freedom to see what sort of difference it would make - I was drowning in gold. Similarly it'd be interesting to see if annexing two more cities would have helped or hindered.

I settled on the river grassland by the mountain. I wanted the mountain and the river and a good source of food right from the start. My alternative approach would have been to settle the marble. I think this start was pretty successful and I was happy with the start I had.

I fought with barbarians and rescued many workers...only to let the barbarians recapture them so that I could liberate them again. I had three CS allies pretty quickly. The most delighted of these being Kathmandu. I used these allies to beat on Ghandi and puppeted his empire.

One poor decision may have been taking Stone Circles. Great for faith, but I was faith rich from Kathmandu. Perhaps Sun God would have been more beneficial given the large amount of citrus.

After that it was pretty plain sailing...lots of decisions just made with gut instinct.

GG

Attachments

• GOTM 119 Science Victory.jpg
    GOTM 119 Science Victory.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 152
Your name: Apolex
Game date: 1916AD
Turns played: 336
Base score: 1317
Final score: 1965
Time played: 10:33:00

My first Immortal victory (yay!). 3 cities, never went to war. Settled the costal hill next to the river thinking the Sea Beggar might be important. Nope. 2nd city I forward settled Ghandi and then settled my 3rd city down near Malacca. Went for National College and got it sometime before turn 100.

There was a point around gunpowder where I was militarily weak and had Ghandi suddenly massing troops at my border - thought he was going to give me the same treatment as Wild_Woojsha haha. But I got to pick foreign legion just in time and he wussed out. China and Arabs ate up Siam and kind of snow-balled, but they goofed around with wars against Russia at the end so I beat them to Alpha Centauri.

- Did you use your UU?
No, never even built one. Guess I should have settled next to the mountain instead of the coast at the beginning.

- Was your UB helpful?
No, never had any marshes to improve - sugar was more important than a Polder

Stole a couple of techs mid-game, but once I got the science advantage they were mostly used for counter-espionage and city-state rigging.

I agree with Zibby - having only Ghandi on the starting island allowed me to ramp up my science machine without getting crushed.

I've always gotten smashed by aggressive civs early in my previous immortal games, so as soon as I felt vulnerable I made the effort to get at least enough military to hold off an invasion.

I was way behind in the religion game and stayed that way the whole game. Never had more than about 50 faith per turn. However, China and Morocco kept spamming Great Prophets at my cities, so I just let them. Because my cities' religions kept switching, I was able to end up getting Cathedrals, Monasteries, Mosques, and Pagodas in each city, which was great for culture, happiness, etc. Also I bought a few Great Scientists with faith near the end, which definitely helped propel me to the science victory.

I went straight through tradition, straight through Rationalism, and then into the Freedom ideology.

Partner - based on my previous immortal game losses, I figured that even if I took him out, the other civs would eventually come for me and I would not survive.

Your name: MrRadar
Game date: 1832AD
Turns played: 286

- Did you use your UU?
No, didn't have to. Just a caravel.

- Was your UB helpful?
Ha ha. If only there were some marshes…

Stole a couple of techs from Gandhi, then he caught me and I went elsewhere, but other people were hopeless, so I sent my spies to CSs. Eventually couped one cultural CS and softened and bought Zurich for lots of aluminium.
Btw, I was surprised that nobody tried to spy on me. No tech steals from me, no killed foreign spies, despite the lack of a constabulary and a nooby spy as a counteragent.

Looked more like made for Brazil tbh, but eh, I hope all those trading posts in the jungle weren't completely useless :)
All this free space seduced me into liberty and excessive settling. I had played three practice games before this one, going tradition in all of them, and the prospect of a fourth Dutch tradition game in a row was hardly bearable. Wasn't reasonable to do this at all, too few unique luxuries, but settled 7 cities anyway, including two mountain ones. The side effect was t149 NC, because I burned the GE from Liberty on Petra in my desert city next to the gold. Absolutely could not resist it :D
Given that this is my fastest SV so far, I can't complain too much about going liberty though. My three practice games on different maps and neighbours saw victory times shorten from t340 to t295, here I managed to shave off another 9 turns despite all the antics, so maybe that's not too awful. The practice games certainly helped me to time the bulbing of GSs much better this time.

Nothing noticeable, although I kind of expected to steal a few more techs. And I did not expect to get the early wonders I got though – MoH, Mids, the Oracle, Petra (lol), HS, then easy ones: ET, SoL, Hubble and even the Brandenburg Gate. The GG from it restored the justice by taking into possession via citadel the Lake Victoria which should have been mine since the beginning. It was such a dilemma for the first settler: to steal Gandhi's sugar or go for the Lake. Sugar won and I was considering taking Malacca for the theft of the Lake, but then I somehow allied it and let it live for the happiness.
Workers: hardbuilt one, got one of Gandhi's via a barb proxy, so no war, got another from a CS also via a barb. Returned for diplo the first time, but he got recaptured and the second time I kept it. Love such things. One more from Lib, two from the Mids, six in total. And boy they are so fast with Mids and citizenship, I had already forgotten that. Just couldn't get them out of my hair, always asking for more work :crazyeye:

Early shrine and 8 faith from Kathmandu let me have stone circles and eventually a religion with tithe, mosques, culture from temples and itinerant preachers. I was a bit too slow to reach the Industrial era, so a very unnecessary and expensive late GP popped out, certainly cost me one additional GS. Faithbought three GSs at the end.

Liberty left then right, Patronage to Scholasticism while waiting for Rati, then Freedom to SS parts purchase, then Rati finisher. Last one went again to Patronage for more happiness and resources from CSs.

We trolled each other by mutual forward settling – I stole 3 of his sugars, he stole 2 of my citruses, then I blocked and chased away another of his settlers, then he sulked for a while, even coveted my lands a bit, but eventually his good nature prevailed and we became BFFs.
Stole a couple of techs from him, had 3 RAs with him and some trades. He eventually went freedom in my wake.

All in all a fun map and a peaceful game, and the first one that I actually submitted. I have tried quite a few GOTM maps, but usually I get horribly sidetracked, misjudge something, then engage in roleplaying or just miss the submission deadline.

I thought the neighbourhood would be more crowded and certainly include some psycho nearby. A sole Gandhi was such a relief, and the mental case was on another landmass (poor Morocco had no chance).

Managed to ally all CSs on our continent, have only built two scouts, one warrior and a caravel, the rest of my army was gifted by a military ally and finally sold for gold towards the end. Maintained good relations with almost all civs, so the lux trade helped to keep the happiness in check.

Founded the WC, lost it for one term – had to kingmake the Assur guy in a vain hope of him possibly proposing my religion which I had given to him, then got the seat back. Of course some jerk proposed the Arts Funding and I couldn’t block it, so GSs were slowed.

Gold was a bit lacking, most of my trade routes were internal for food and production, but still managed to get a few RAs and bought unies and labs for my capital and one low hammer mountain city, the rest were built. Towards the end burned three GAs for 36 turns of golden age, which helped a lot with gold, and Catherine was rich and kind and Freedom loving enough to lend me the rest. Had to build one SS part, bought the other five. Could have shaved off another turn, but bought one part too far away. And one production route for 13 hammers to Amsterdam ended just on the 'would be final' turn, so the cockpit came short of 10 hammers to completion anyway. Double screwing up didn't hurt so much as a single one would have. :lol:

Spoiler :

Your name: IDontFinkSO
Game date: 1844AD
Turns played: 292

- Did you use your UU?
No

- Was your UB helpful?
No

Stole 4 techs.

Helped it.

Didn't try for any early wonders.

I had 3 religion and got pagodas and mosquees. They helped my culture game and happiness quite a lot.

Tradition, 2 points in faith, 1 point exploration, rationalism 3 points, another point in exploration (3 hammers in coastal cities), freedom 3 points, 4th point in rationalism, 1 point in commerce (for big ben), 2 points in freedom, finishing rationalism used free technology on nanotech, freedom finisher for spaceship parts.

Definitely not optimal, and those cute points in piety and especially exploration cost me some turns in the end.

Conquered him.

283 turns of peace.. friends with everyone except assyria.. stole a worker from india early on but we became friends the rest of the game.. otherwise it was fairly standard turtling, mediocre science play and nitpicky micro managing with the occasional head slapping moment like remembering you get free aqueducts if you just research engineering.. derp!

shaved a chunk of turns off the end by hammering thru ISS.

Actually I think you get free aqueducts as soon as you finish Tradition, you don't even need engineering.

Top Bottom