Which Civs Would Synergize Together Best?

Early rush: Chinese+Mongolian. KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN(s)!
Venice+Morroco on desert start, if they can get Petra. The money...oh, the money.
Persia+Zulu might get a nice sweet spot where they can produce Immortals with special Zulu promotions and lots of exp at start...if you get FoY bonus, all the buffallo upgrades, medic II, march and cover II...45 heal per turn no matter what you do, and you can simply get promotions by sitting near the enemy city and shrugging off what falls on you.
Germany+Aztec. Domination victory in ancient/classical era? Possible.
Shoshone+Russian would be insane land grabbers.

Agreed. The UB is the only good stuff they have.

LOL :lol:
Free GS from writing would speed up Theology a lot! :crazyeye:

Celts/Byzantium wouldn be pretty good too. Celts UA almost guarantees a religion for Byz UA. Cataphracts and Pictish Warriors together would give troubles to your neighbors early.

Just for fun : China/Sweden : Wage war, spam Great Generals, ally all CS :lol:

All good observations.

I hadn't considered how quick one could get to Theology with the free GS. I'm wondering if you started the cycle early enough to hit the 1st possible Great Person and the game went long enough (I think t320 is about the last GP possible), could you actually cycle through them all and get an extra copy of one? I'm too lazy right now to look it up.

Celts/Byzantium would definitely work and I think the terrain is a match (I don't recall Byzantium having a bias against forest). The UU's are both early, so yeah…..fun.

I'm laughing at the China/Sweden scenario. That's a great call. Factor in China's extra gold and you'd have no problem keeping those allies. My question is what SP's would you use? You'd want Honor and I'd think Patronage always needs to be finished as Sweden. (Interesting looking kids though).

Hm...doing a Sweden/China mix, I'd say that you'd go rationalism after Honor and Patronage, simply because it's never a bad thing. The ideal strategy, to me, seems to be warring a lot and gifting most of your great generals to city states so you have control of the world congress, setting up for a Diplomatic or Domination win.

I still think France and Brazil would be hilarious. Simply go through Aesthetics, and get either Uffizi or Louvre. You don't even really need exploration, given how overkill this is. Maybe get the Globe Theatre and the Eiffel Tower, fill out your theming bonuses, get a great artist aaaaaaaand

BAM!

Carnival de Resistance.

This is all codeable right?

It wouldn't be too hard for the player to modify these game files?

India/Aztec - The Elephants would steam roll the whole map while HUGE cities sprung up from the rubble.

This is all codeable right?

It wouldn't be too hard for the player to modify these game files?

India/Aztec - The Elephants would steam roll the whole map while HUGE cities sprung up from the rubble.

It would be impossible for THIS player to modify the game files. However, if someone else were to do it, it would be a blast to try.

There are some programs out there that combine photographs. I'd love to see the combined leaders morphed into a hybrid character…..think of the possibilities:

India/Polynesia -> a fat Gandhi
Huns/Carthage -> Attila wearing a dress and lounging like Theodora
Germany/Iriquois -> Bismarck wearing the war skins

Sorry, my imagination is getting a bit silly. Better get some work done.

How about Persia and China. Take Logistics and war during Golden Ages....Three shot CKNs.

It would be impossible for THIS player to modify the game files. However, if someone else were to do it, it would be a blast to try.

There are some programs out there that combine photographs. I'd love to see the combined leaders morphed into a hybrid character…..think of the possibilities:

India/Polynesia -> a fat Gandhi
Huns/Carthage -> Attila wearing a dress and lounging like Theodora
Germany/Iriquois -> Bismarck wearing the war skins

Sorry, my imagination is getting a bit silly. Better get some work done.

Shaka/Theodora hybrid. That could go horribly right or horribly wrong.

I'm wondering if you started the cycle early enough to hit the 1st possible Great Person and the game went long enough (I think t320 is about the last GP possible), could you actually cycle through them all and get an extra copy of one?
It used to be possible in G&K, BNW added 2 extra GPs so you would need to start earlier.
I made a spreadsheet in 2012 with all possible Long Count turns.

62 is hardly possible under normal circumstances, including bulbing a tech with GL so you can probably count on starting T72 and get 9 GP, last one coming for the end of the world in 2012 :lol:
There are 9 total GP (Scientist, Engineer, Merchant, 3 "artists", General, Admiral and Great Prophet) so if you want two Scientists you need to get your first long count on T62. Maybe Babylong/Maya could manage it, not sure. They would definitely do it if they can grab GL but on high difficulties it would require a very strong start as neither civ get help for early wonders.

EDIT : Also i remember that you need to get Theology the turn before (or maybe 2 turns) before the game turn to get the Long Count mechanism to initialize soon enough. So T62 GP require a T60 Theology to work for sure.

Merging Civs could be done with mods, it wouldn't even require lots of coding.

Shaka/Theodora hybrid. That could go horribly right or horribly wrong.

Thank you for this image! Not only is it funny in itself but it prompted me to think further, and conjure Sejong in the Kamehameha/Captain Underpants outfit. Horrific!

Merging Civs could be done with mods, it wouldn't even require lots of coding.

Could there be a civ merging mod? Not one where you download the Ethiopia-Venice Combo, no, one where you pick any two civs and the game merges them for you, so you can play any combination with just one mod.

Could there be a civ merging mod? Not one where you download the Ethiopia-Venice Combo, no, one where you pick any two civs and the game merges them for you, so you can play any combination with just one mod.

I'm afraid that what you're suggesting, while an absolutely brilliant raw idea, would surely take way too much time. It might even be impossible for a single human to conceive of.

The reason: each combination of 2 civs is basically a mod all of its own, since exactly how the UAs would combine would require coding.

And there are, by my calculation, 903 different combinations of 2-civ pairings from 43 civs.

So, it's a downer, but I think it's a no-go. *would love to be proved wrong*

For Austria he's probably referring to the overlooked UB that increases GP production. Austria/Sweden would probably work nicely, not sure how Indonesia fits in. Maybe faith from the Candi to purchase in Industrial??

I am indeed referring to the Coffee House for Austria. Indonesia comes in because the Candi does not require fresh water, meaning every city would be guaranteed +50% great people generation.

I am indeed referring to the Coffee House for Austria. Indonesia comes in because the Candi does not require fresh water, meaning every city would be guaranteed +50% great people generation.

Yeah, that's a subtle combination, but I get it. Obviously, it would require certain circumstances, but powerful if done well.

That's kind of the point of the thread. Subtle combinations can result in some fun possibilities.

I almost never build Windmills.

Here's a combo that is not only dear to my heart, but pretty effective:

Inca/Zulu: The tech paths work, as you want Construction for Terrace Farms and grabbing Bronze Working for Ikandas should take very few turns. Then you beeline Civil Service for Impi.

IMHO, Slingers upgraded are the 2nd best ranged units in the game (tough to beat CKN's).

What you end up with is ranged units who can get in an opponents face and dance away, 3-move Impi who can dance around hills…….like they need more movement……..and the Terrace Farm…….this would be OP.

China and Sweden. Generate massive amounts of Great Generals and gift them to city states to have all the allies ever. Unfortunately, there isn't much more synergy here other than them having pretty good unique units, but they don't come at the same time.

Russia and the Huns would be a pretty interesting one, mostly for the huge early production boost from pastures. What is that, 4 hammers and 2 food in the early game? That would simply be amazing.

Egypt and the Maya. Mostly for synergy between their unique buildings, as you can go Pyramid-Burial Tomb. This would make getting a pantheon a very high priority, but you can delay archery a little because you have atlatlists. Those can be good for early spamming and rushes, while the War Chariot can be used to support them or the composites they upgrade to.

England and England Jr (AKA America), mostly so you can scout everything out. Frigates and Minutemen go alright together for taking coastal cities, while the Longbowman is simply always useful. Other than that...it's not actually that great.

Siam and Greece might go well together. Your companion cavalry upgrade to the deadly elephants with the name I can't spell, and...you get more city state bonuses. That's it, really.

Assyria and the Huns could rush early enemies very, very easily. Siege Towers and Battering Rams would make mincemeat of enemy cities. Steal some techs and have a free tech for a little bit of a tech lead/catch up, and...have a unique library to make your units just a bit better, though overall it won't be super relevant.

This would probably be possible if civilization traits were made flexible rather than fixed and thus could be assigned "on the fly". It would require some modification of the core dll (C++ code), probably in a similar way as Pazyrik is doing his emerging civilization traits for the Ea mod. Waaaayyy beyond what i could do :blush:

China and Sweden. Generate massive amounts of Great Generals and gift them to city states to have all the allies ever. Unfortunately, there isn't much more synergy here other than them having pretty good unique units, but they don't come at the same time.

Russia and the Huns would be a pretty interesting one, mostly for the huge early production boost from pastures. What is that, 4 hammers and 2 food in the early game? That would simply be amazing.

Egypt and the Maya. Mostly for synergy between their unique buildings, as you can go Pyramid-Burial Tomb. This would make getting a pantheon a very high priority, but you can delay archery a little because you have atlatlists. Those can be good for early spamming and rushes, while the War Chariot can be used to support them or the composites they upgrade to.

England and England Jr (AKA America), mostly so you can scout everything out. Frigates and Minutemen go alright together for taking coastal cities, while the Longbowman is simply always useful. Other than that...it's not actually that great.

Siam and Greece might go well together. Your companion cavalry upgrade to the deadly elephants with the name I can't spell, and...you get more city state bonuses. That's it, really.

Assyria and the Huns could rush early enemies very, very easily. Siege Towers and Battering Rams would make mincemeat of enemy cities. Steal some techs and have a free tech for a little bit of a tech lead/catch up, and...have a unique library to make your units just a bit better, though overall it won't be super relevant.

I'm wondering if Rams and towers would be a bit redundant? When I play either of these, I rarely feel that I need more than 3-4 of either unit. On the other hand, if their bonuses stacked…….1-shot city kills into the Renaissance era? OP.

England/America makes sense, but how about England/Songhai? Knock the city's HP down with DOL then take it with River Warlord?

Everyone seems to be combining either two warmongerers or two infrastructure civs. While that can get you to the Nth degree of one aspect of the game, I figured one of each could result in a truly uber-powered and balanced civ. Examples:

Attila/Casimir: infrastructure: 1 free tech to start, extra hammers AND extra gold from pastures, free social policies warmongering: pretty much what Attila brings to the table which is all early game, but with the addition of a mid game UU and extra hammers (Sourge) to build them with.
Attila/Harun: infrastructure: free tech, hammers, gold from oasis/oil, extra resources to trade, religion spread. warmongering: horse-archers upgrading to camels (salivating...)
Babylon/China: infrastructure: arguably the best research bonus, now with maintenance-free, gold-producing libraries. warmongering: incentive to make additional archers since they're stronger, which means they'll have more promotions earlier, maybe even enough to give 'em range at the same time they pick up an extra attack, enhanced by addtional, stronger great generals

Egypt/France - 20% Wonder bonus for City of Light.

Byzantium/England - Dromons upgrade to Ship of the Line...

Assyria/Huns - Seriously battering rams, horse archers, siege towers in 1 army + the free technologies is sure to make this combo unbeatable.

Top Bottom