A request concerning terrains

pepper2000

King
With my earlier issue on terrains, I had forgotten about Dancing Hoskuld's warning about having PEAK and HILL at the end of the file. That's probably what prevented it from working. At least it's nice that we can have a mountainous Venus without defining terrains especially for that.

To fix the problem, I did the following:

1) Remove the SLIMY_COAST, SLIMY_OCEAN, PEAK, and HILL terrains from Assets\XML\Terrain\CIV4TerrainInfos.xml. Through trial and error, I found that SLIMY_COAST and SLIMY_OCEAN had also better come after the others.

2) Define new terrains in my modmod as before.

3) Create a new folder Assets\Modules\zTerrains

4) Copy C2C_CIV4TerrainSchema.xml and create a new file, which I called Tail_CIV4TerrainInfos.xml, and place the SLIMY_COAST, SLIMY_OCEAN, PEAK, and HILL terrains there.

5) Don't forget to load this file in MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml

It appears to me that, due to the load order issue, it is impossible to define a new terrain in a modmod that is entirely contained in the My_Mods folder. Therefore, my request is that Steps 1, 3, 4, and 5 above be committed to the SVN. Unless there is a better solution that I haven't found.

If all goes well, the next version of my space colonization mod will have terrains for all eight planets, plus Asteroid Surface and Kuiper Belt Object.

Wow, that's creative! :goodjob:

1. I don't see a reason why these terrains shoudn't be in the core anyways. It's called caveman to cosmos, not caveman to moon, mars and space. AFAIK terrains (especially if not on the map) won't cause any significant slow down, so people who don't like them won't have to deal with any negative consequences. It would make everything much easier...

2. Pepper has proven to work precise (not introducing any bugs) and very cooperative. TB also said he is a big fan of what Pepper did for this mod. And he really got content in for the neglated space era. I would really like to see that he gets SVN rights as this mods needs creative and motivated new modders.

Thanks for your support, Faustmouse, but I think we're better off if I work on a modmod instead. Much of what I want to do, especially with building consolidation, will be controversial, and it would be better if I can just do it and let others see how it looks. And I don't think there will be too many instances such as this one where I need a change in the SVN in order to make my project work.

Even if you want (almost) all of your stuff in a modmod, SVN writing rights would still be usefull. You could put your folder into MyMods directly and don't have to wait until somebody else does.
Just because you CAN edit the SVN doesn't mean you HAVE to. But as you wish, it's your decision ;) Just don't make the mistake and try to be extra kind and shy about your stuff. You WILL step on someones toes. Always...

With my earlier issue on terrains, I had forgotten about Dancing Hoskuld's warning about having PEAK and HILL at the end of the file. That's probably what prevented it from working. At least it's nice that we can have a mountainous Venus without defining terrains especially for that.

To fix the problem, I did the following:

1) Remove the SLIMY_COAST, SLIMY_OCEAN, PEAK, and HILL terrains from Assets\XML\Terrain\CIV4TerrainInfos.xml. Through trial and error, I found that SLIMY_COAST and SLIMY_OCEAN had also better come after the others.

To fit in with Toffers recent changes to terrains, you may want to consider changing things like:

SLIMY_COAST to COAST_SLIMY etc. Toffers has done this on all Earth mapscripts.

i.e. TerrainType=TERRAIN_POLAR_COAST
became TerrainType=TERRAIN_COAST_POLAR etc.

I have altered my pre-made maps accordingly.

Just a thought.

As for SVN access as the current junior - I have no objection. Nice for someone to get the tea/coffee for me. :)

I agree with Mouse. The ability to add directly to the SVN could be very beneficial for us to give you whether you'd choose to use it often. If preliminary reports suggest that your modmod is as solid as I think it will be, then it would be helpful for you to be able to add directly from there.

Surely there are also balance factors you see that you can help with. You've probably done a better evaluation of buildings than just about any of us at this point.

Well, I think you guys convinced me. And actually, now I can think of a few other minor things I would do with SVN access, such as fix some icons and that "Planetary Manufactoring" typo which has irked me for a long time. I won't do anything significant without seeking consensus.

Ok here.

JosEPh

Ok then, provided SO is onboard with it as well, I'll just need your sourceforge username. You can pm it to me. I'll send you some instructions... basic 'rules' of conduct along with access.

Thanks a lot. I'm very grateful to be brought on, now after about three years of playing the game.

I am working on my first edit, which will be just a typo fix. But I've never used TortoiseSVN to commit to repositories before, and I am running into some problems. Hopefully I'll get it soon.

Getting back to the original topic, assuming that I test some more and everything works, is everyone happy with me making the changes to terrain files as described above? That will allow other modmodders to make terrains as well.

Top Bottom