A Vision for Space Colonization

pepper2000

King
When I started this working on this project, I only intended to put out a couple dozen buildings to fill in some gaps in the late game. But the more I think about it, the more it seems that full space colonization is possible, and I want to attempt to do it. This will be long, even by my standards.

The biggest question on my mind right now is whether we have all the tools to do this in XML, or is more Python or other work required? I am not very familiar with units, and I have not yet investigated the new terrain type tags for terrains and cities. But they were obviously developed with space colonization in mind.

First, here is an extremely rough schematic of what I imagine a galactic map could look like. It is not at all to scale of course. I post it so I have a visual to point to, and also to insure that I never get asked to do artwork.

Spoiler :

Now, a tour of the galaxy and how it would play out in C2C.
Spoiler :

Low Earth Orbit: Low Earth Orbit extends from about 100 kilometers from the Earth's surface to geosynchronous orbit, about 36,000 km up. It is not not pictured. We already have a number of orbital buildings, which have too few people in them to be considered cities. So they are what I consider to be synthetic colonies: they are build by cities on Earth, even though they are not physically located in the cities. I would keep them that way.

Cislunar Space: Cislunar space is the space that is farther from Earth than geosynchronous orbit, and it extends out just a bit past the Moon. Compared to Low Earth Orbit, where the International Space Station is located, a colony in cislunar space would have to go longer without resupply, but it is still close enough to Earth for easy communication and emergency evacuation. It will be humanity's next step in off-planet living after the ISS. The Earth-Moon Lagrangian points, particularly the L4 and L5 points, are particularly promising places for a station because the orbits would be highly stable.

Cislunar colonies because available at Astro Environmental Systems. I imagine a unit similar to the spacecraft settler, but it can only settle in cislunar space. That's the black space to the "west" of Earth.

Cislunar colonies are not intended to grow to more than small towns. Their purpose is mainly industrial. They can build orbital solar arrays and asteroid mines to provide major bonuses to the earthbound cities. They also grant humanity experience and knowledge about living in space, which is needed to move farther out. They are required to build settlers to more distant regions.

There are a couple mechanisms by which a cislunar colony might build things for Earth. They could train a special "unit" called Asteroid Mine or Orbital Solar Array, which can build its special building on an Earth city. Or they might have exclusive National Wonders which give free asteroid mines to every city on Earth.

Moon: I very much like what Faustmouse has done there, and it serves as an inspiration for some of my work. I wouldn't change it much until Lunar Megastructures and Lunar Terraforming, where we get new buildings that let lunar colonies act less like colonies and more like real cities. That means more gold, which will be needed because colonizing the galaxy is expensive.

Sun: That's just there for decoration. In theory you can colonize the Sun, but you would have to do it at night.

Mars: A cislunar colony may or may not be required to building the seedship to Mars. Mars is much more independent than the Moon due to its farther distance (9-22 minutes for communication), and the fact that the thin atmosphere and chemical composition of the Red Planet make it a bit more suitable for independent colonization.

Of all bodies on the map, Mars is the closest to being a second Earth. I have planned a five phase growth systems. When a spacecraft settler lands on Mars, it auto-builds a Martian Colony. At various points in the tech tree, it can be upgraded Colony -> City -> Metropolis -> Megacity -> Arcology. Each upgrade opens up new manufacturing, mining, and/or food production. These produce resources that in turns are needed for the next phase of growth.

Initially Mars will be a big money drain. Despite the supposed independence, resupplies are needed and yet difficult to do. The main value is science. Since it takes a long time to grow the colonies, you will want to get an early start. They will eventually be profitable and prosperous cities. And of course you want to deny Martian real estate to your rivals.

Venus: My plans for Venus are similar to Mars, but truncated. There are three phases of growth: Colony -> City -> Surface City. Population will be lower on Venus, and the output is more industrial rather than commercial. The extreme temperature and pressure at the surface might make allow manufacture of a specialty resource that cannot be acquired by any other means.

Mercury: Mercury is small, and you can't handle the heat until Thermal Negation. Only a couple of colonies can be placed there. The main value of Mercury comes from the absence of atmosphere and proximity to the Sun, which makes it ideal for setting up a massive solar array for antimatter production. For a while this will be the only source of antimatter, which accelerates interstellar colonization.

Asteroid Belt: You cannot cross the asteroid belt until later in the game (Astrogation Constellation?). At that tech, you can start building colonies on the moons of the gas giants.

Jupiter: Jupiter has two moons pictured: Europa and Callisto. Callisto is most useful for industry and as a supply/repair base for spacecraft. It is also a staging ground for the more difficult job of colonizing Europa and other Jovian megaprojects.

Europa might be the most interesting place for astrobiology. Building a colony under the surface of Europa will open a chain of buildings that culminates in a building that will accelerate biological production throughout the empire. This will be especially important later in the game, because you will be able to more rapidly terraform home planets and exoplanets, leading to faster growth in the Galactic Era.

As for Jupiter itself, Planetary Megastructures will unlock a power plant that can harness its intense magnetic field. Building infrastructure around Jupiter will give extra moves to magnetic sail craft.

Saturn: Saturn also has two moons pictured: Enceladus and Titan. There will be a similar two-stage approach to colonizing the Saturnian system. Enceladus comes first, and it is a supply base for passing spacecraft and a good source of organic volatiles.

Titan is a fascinating place, and it is to astroecology what Europa is to astrobiology. The surface of Titan can support a small but thriving commercial society, and the hydrocarbon reserves are good for industry as well. At the end of the Titan building chain is a great wonder that also accelerates future terraforming and geoengineering projects.

There are several possible mechanisms for colonization of the gas giants. First, the planets themselves could be nondescript disks, and the moons would be small islands. A second possibility is that a "city" built anywhere in the Jovian system really spans the whole planetary system, and it can build buildings associated with Europa, Callisto, or Jupiter itself. A third is that the moons are Wonders of Nature or some other special map feature that must be in the city vicinity to access its special buildings.

Uranus: Uranus has two main purposes planned. First, it looks like the best source for mining Helium-3, which will help get out of the solar system faster and also to run fusion power plants in deep space. The second is Miranda, with its incredible geography, will be the premier tourist destination of the outer solar system.

Neptune: I plan to use Triton as a minor industrial site and as the final large staging ground for the Kuiper Belt and beyond. Triton has an advantage of good gravitational heating from Neptune, so geothermal energy keeps the colony going.

Pluto: Pluto is not a planet, but it gets honorable mention with a lonely scientific research base.

Deep Space: This is what really matters in the outer solar system. While the gas giants are optional, you need to build several O'Neill colonies in the solar system (I am not distinguishing between inner and outer solar system) in order to have enough of an industrial base to proceed. They become available at Orbital Megastructures.

The method for building O'Neill colonies will be similar to that for cislunar colonies, and cislunar colonies are needed to assemble O'Neill colonies, since they are too big to be built and launched from the Earth's surface. Although they are fixed in the map, in reality they can move freely (but slowly) throughout the solar system using solar and magnetic sails. These colonies are cities in themselves, and they provide amounts of commerce comparable to Earth cities. They also give good industrial production, being able to launch scouts to harvest asteroids.

Kuiper Belt: The Kuiper Belt is the first of the two layers beyond Pluto. This is your most important site militarily. If there are threats from beyond the solar system, you must have an array of bases on the Kuiper Belt and stop them there. They will be relatively small cities that become available at Asteroid Extraction. Great for harvesting organic volatiles and deuterium.

Oort Cloud: That's the next layer beyond the Kuiper Belt. It extends much farther and cannot be colonized or passed until Interstellar Trade. It is too dispersed to be much good for defense. The main purposes is to set up trading posts, so the Oort Cloud is good for money, and its value increases the more advanced the galactic civilization becomes.

Rogue Planets: The blue dots are rogue planets that are not orbiting any star. They are also good as trading posts and also for various illicit activities, since it is easy to hide on a planet that does not reflect starlight.

Interstellar: Colonies around the star systems are really the bread and butter of the Galactic Era. O'Neill colonies are needed to build seedships, and even then seedships are extraordinarily expensive. But interstellar colonies can build new seedships much more easily. While building out the solar system was a mostly deliberate process, interstellar space is a scramble and land grab.

Interstellar colonies are large autonomous. Their buildings are entire planets or large sections of planets. Ultimately there should be buildings to handle all the basics of a city: food, resource extraction, manufacturing, governance, habitat, recreation, and so forth. However, at least in the first half of the Galacic Era, they are not good for military production. The communication logistics are impossible, and the early colonies do not have the resources for a large military. So you will have to build a fleet of starships in the outer solar system and send them to the colonies.

Exoplanets: Not pictured are extrasolar planets. These are a few particularly special planets because they already have biosphere or intelligent life. There will be cultures that can only be built from exoplanets. But they are defended by peace-loving natives barbarians who require nontrivial military force to dislodge. There might also be a Prime Directive military civic that gives rewards to players who forego galactic imperialism.

The Far Galaxy: The yellow spray paint is galactic dust. It represents another step up in distances, and Advanced Seedships (?) are needed to cross that barrier. The terrains in the distance are defended by ultra-powerful remnants of a mysterious long-gone K3 civilization, so your advanced seedships had better not go alone.

Star Clusters: An entire star cluster can be colonized at once. A star cluster would have the same line of buildings as an interstellar colony, but with a few extra buildings that give much larger bonuses. Not many star clusters will be available, and they will be your premier cities. Colonization is a challenge due to the extreme distances and the orbital disruption that stellar density causes, so techs such as Artificial Planets and Orbital Engineering will be needed.

Neutron Stars: Neutron stars are the ultimate in resource extraction. Colliding them together causes a supernova, producing all sorts of valuable resources.

Black Holes: These are the best sources of energy and of science, due to being able to use the black hole's energy to run supercomputers. For some reason, not very many colonists want to go.

Galactic Core: This is really your goal. You must have a Galactic Core colony to build the Ascension Gate and achieve a Scientific victory. You can also build a Galactic Core Dyson Sphere for ultimate power.

All in all, I think this should be technically doable just with XML. There would have to be several kinds of settlers, each of which is restricted in where it can build cities and what kind of boundaries it can cross.

Some thoughts about the flow of the game in the three future eras:
Spoiler :

Yes, I said three. The Nanotech Era runs from x92 to x107, the Transhuman Era from x108 to x122, and the Galactic Era from x123 to the end. This would leave the Galactic Era a stump, but more techs should be added there. I have 16 in planning so far. More late game techs are needed anyway, because as it is now, there would be very little time to build out a galactic empire. For several reasons, I see columns x108 and x123 as significant transition points that justify the change to a new era. Changes might be called for at the Modern/Nanotech boundary, but that's another matter. You can think of the three eras as corresponding to Types I, II, and III on the Kardeshev scale.

Here is what I see the game being like at various points in time.

Late Modern: There are many new historical space missions included. These wonders will accelerate future production, so the Modern space race matters. Players competing for a Scientific victory want to grab as many of them as they can.

Nanotech: On Earth, building out scientific and industrial capacity remains a priority, with an eye to sustainability. There are a few significant space missions, thereby continuing the space race. In space, the main priority is industrializing cislunar space. Lunar colonies are a close second priority. You will want to start with Martian colonization, though these colonies will not be mature in the Nanotech Era. Venus is a lesser priority. Colonization during this era will be slow, deliberative, and expensive.

Early Transhuman: This is where the Martian colonies start to become thriving cities. The pace of Martian development is accelerating, and a war over Mars might be fought if the game is still competitive. Not too much is happening on the Moon, and cislunar space is more or less already fully developed. Earth is mostly developed by now too, and the main focus is on speciality buildings and megaprojects such as some new arcology Great Wonders. You also want to grab and start to develop colonies at the gas giants.

Late Transhuman: Orbital Megastructures is one of the most important techs in the era, because now you can colonize deep space. You want to get as many O'Neill colonies as you can afford, and once they are built, you want to divert most of your resources to building out their industrial, commercial, and military capacity. The Moon, which had been fading in importance, takes on new life (figuratively and literally) at Lunar Megastructures and Lunar Terraforming. Now you can greatly accelerate lunar colonization, and you will want to take over the moon completely because it is profitable and you are strapped for cash. This is also when the gas giant and Venus colonies mature and Mercury colonization becomes possible. Mars is close to a fully developed planet, and your attention is moving away now.

Early Galactic: You know the pattern now. You better have worked hard on building O'Neill colonies, because now you need them to colonize nearby interstellar space. The O'Neill colonies are cranking out seedships and military starships, and the interstellar colonies are alternating between development and new seedships. This era is a land grab, in contrast to the deliberate development of the past. By now your attention has mostly moved away from the inner solar system.

Late Galactic: By now the frenetic pace of expansion has slowed down a bit, and in the final push you are focused on getting the premier goodies in the far galaxy. Interstellar colonies can shift more of their production toward development, and you will want to get critical buildings such as Ecumenopolis. However, by now the interstellar civilizations are able exceed what the outer solar system can do for military production, and you will need it for the last round of far galactic colonization. The ultimate goal is to reach the Galactic Core and build the Ascension Gate.

How will trade and transportation work in space?
Spoiler :

Just as there are specialized settler units, I foresee specialized worker units can cannot cross certain boundaries, can only work certain terrains, and can only build certain routes. I am thinking of avoiding map bonuses outside of Earth, relying instead on buildings to provide them.

In cislunar space, Mass Driver is needed to build routes to connect Earth cities with cislunar colonies and the moon. This makes it easier for cislunar colonies to do their main job of providing resources to the Earth and Moon. However, since the current lunar colonization scheme has the moon responsible for producing its own resources, I don't want Earth and Moon to trade with each other directly. That's something to be worked out.

There are two routes in the solar systems: Interplanetary Transport Network (Astrogation Constellation) and Laser StarWay (Solar Ordnance). In galactic space, Wormhole Traversal is needed to build routes, and a more advanced route might be available at Space Folding or Space Creasing. The only route I intended for Mars, Moon, and Venus are maglevs, and they become available at Supersonic Rails.

An alternative solution to resource trade dispenses completely with the notion of resources being traded over routes in space. Routes are only for fast travel. Instead, when a space colony develops a tradable resource, such as Helium-3 on Uranus, it adds a free Bonus - Helium 3 to every city (this bonus requires the right kind of terrain).

I noticed we have two new techs now with special requirements: Waterproof Concrete and Lead Glass. A third option would be to use this mechanism for the specialized knowledge that comes out of colonies at Europa, Titan, Venus, etc.

A fourth option might require new XML tags; I'm not sure exactly what can be done with the current tags. I'll use space solar power as an example. Only cislunar colonies could build solar power satellites. A microwave power plant would require that 4 X solar power satellites exist. In exchange for all this extra effort, the microwave plant would be significantly upgraded. But I want 4 X solar power satellites to be sufficient to build as many microwave plants as desired. My understanding of how it currently works is that 4 solar satellites would be needed for the first microwave plant, 8 for the second plant, and so forth. Another option, which I am pretty sure would require a new XML tag, would be for the microwave plant to produce 25*N hammers, where N is the number of solar power satellites.

All this leaves much to be worked out, such as warfare, cultural spread, "city" artwork in exotic locations, generating galactic maps, and so forth. But I believe it is a plan that gets us fully playable, if incomplete, galactic colonization, and it can be implemented with little or no work outside of XML. Am I missing any major barriers to implementation? If possible, I want to try to do it over the next few versions of the Space Colonization modmod.

Looks good and I think most of it can be done with XML once we get all the new tags in place and defined.

Two things to consider

1) If the "War of the Worlds" event is in the game then the map of Mars will need to be radically different to what we see now-a-days. The event has yet to be written and is part of the "Bad Karma" idea.

2) In Sid Meier's "Alpha Centauri" factories, farms and energy plants in space added 1:hammers:, :food: :gold: to all cities of that nation on Earth

Hydro did not want aliens in the game mostly because we are incapable of implementing their motives.

By the way, I included an early set of your stuff on the SVN. Should I remove that and replace it with your latest offering?

Thanks DH. My (outdated) understanding is that the War of the Worlds would occur in the late Industrial Era, like the novel, but I haven't kept up on your latest work. Would have have to fight to take over Mars? That would be neat, even if a departure from what we know of Mars today.

I don't know much of how Alpha Centauri works, but that could be a useful mechanism. Although, I would like for there to be some interaction between earth and space buildings. E.g. microwave plants are needed to harness solar power satellites, or Earth-based coilguns are needed to supply space stations.

As far as extrasolar aliens, I know that's a big challenge. One of the biggest unresolved questions is how warfare works in the Galactic Era. For better or worse, warfare is an essential part of human civilization and in my opinion is needed for the game to be truly complete. Either you fight ET or you fight other Earth-based civs. In the latter scenario, I am having difficulty imagining fighting a war in deep space, since really you would still focus on knocking out their Earth cities. As far as ET's motives, let's just say that his physiology and psychology are mysterious and we don't know why he acts as he does, but strangely he acts like barbarians on Earth.

Space Col V1 has 114 buildings, and I think V2 will have 297, including many more on Earth. Space colonies are there, but they are synthetic colonies built in Earth cities. If they are to be included in the SVN, they should probably be an unloaded mod. Maybe I will split the files into Earth buildings and space buildings. I suggest holding off until I get V2 posted, which I hope to do within a week.

You'll want to work in tangent with Faustmouse to get stuff done here. He's going to be able to share a lot of his experiences and where he's at with things in his moon project. I've enabled the ability to get past some of his hurdles recently and these elements await some further xml work from him.

That looks very interesting! I also looking forward to see more earth bound early space buildings like Mercury or Gemini. It felt strange that you only had the Apollo Program and if you don't have it in game (like when you don't have Space Victory enabled) you can't build Hubble or others.

TB, it is not forgotten! I just can't find time to play with it at the moment :( But I try to set up at least the map restrictions cause I think they might be handy for pepper's mars stuff.

Not a great hurry. Version 2, which I hope to get up within a week (it was a week away a few days ago...) will just be another big batch of buildings. I am thinking of reworking the Galactic Era tech tree and adding associated buildings for V3. So I have plenty to do, and I will sit tight for the terrain and city map restrictions to use as a template.

Any ideas on Modern Era lunar wonders? Apollo Program might be the single most consequential space wonder of the era, but I never liked the way it is implemented. It's a holdover from vanilla Civ IV, when the tech tree was simpler and Satellites was the only space tech. In fact, I would just as soon get rid of the whole projects mechanism. I've considered adding Apollo 11 (disconnected from the Apollo project), Luna Program, Jade Rabbit, and/or Earthrise.

The problem for us space buffs is that there are just too many good concepts to choose from.

A subject that should be brainstormed is why go to space in the first place?

The USA put people on the moon which was very expensive. What they brought back was rocks. Recently, a probe landed on Mars. What did it send back? Pictures of rocks. Lots and lots of pictures of rocks.

While space travel satisfies scientific curiosity, and perhaps there are overly expensive (and somewhat dangerous) opportunities for tourism, right now there is little economic reason for space travel. Suppose we set up a colony on Mars for a lot of money. After the novelty wears off, what are those people going to do what they cannot do here? Most mining operations would be too expensive considering the transportation costs.

Collecting Helium-3 might be worth it but that is only one solution to the energy problem.

The USA put people on the moon which was very expensive. What they brought back was rocks. Recently, a probe landed on Mars. What did it send back? Pictures of rocks. Lots and lots of pictures of rocks.

While space travel satisfies scientific curiosity, and perhaps there are overly expensive (and somewhat dangerous) opportunities for tourism, right now there is little economic reason for space travel. Suppose we set up a colony on Mars for a lot of money. After the novelty wears off, what are those people going to do what they cannot do here? Most mining operations would be too expensive considering the transportation costs.

Collecting Helium-3 might be worth it but that is only one solution to the energy problem.
I for one don't feel like I would be alone in saying that the primary purpose of human life is to explore and colonize space. We are Earth's only chance of eternal survival for all its species. A planet can only harbor life for a limited period of time in the galactic sense. Without proliferation throughout the universe, which even our own solar system shows us how much room there would be to do so, the life that has evolved here is eventually doomed to a planetwide destruction event.

The assurance of survival should be our reason. It is unfortunate that our concept of economics keeps us from seeing the obvious. There are things more important than economic gain and access to entertainment.

Very worthwhile goals, but very long-term. Call me a cynic, but the two main factors that could drive something like this would be economy or military.

The economic drive could start with the He-3 deposits on the moon and space tourism. In the beginning, space tourism is for the extremely wealthy (that point is partially there already), but in the long run, the tourism industry will try their very best to make it cheaper - so that more people can pay for this.

The military drive would probably start with certain nations not wanting foreign satellites over their terrain any longer, so they could start to develop anti-satellite-measures. The other nations would have to develop means to defend their satellites, and the race would be on.

Of course, both of these developments could happen at the same time.

Edit: That doesn't mean at all that better goals wouldn't be pursued as well or thereafter. But as long as development in space is still very costly, you need big money, which means the government or big business. When the means to go deeper into space have been developed, they are there to stay. The computer was mainly developed for military needs and the internet as well, but in these days these technologies are available to many.

The same question was asked by the Romans about Britain, but then the British started producing silver cheaper than the Spanish silver mines the Senators owned so a hostile take over was required.

The same question was asked about the Americas also. The Spanish and Portuguese had excess armed young men they didn't want running around at home.

The answer is always the same. Not much use in this generation but huge benefits for later generations. Where would we be without those two middle North Americas wars? We wouldn't have the idea that happiness was something you could try for:D.

Good question, Noriad. The way we answer it influences how the era develops, so it is important.

Up to 2016, I would say the main benefits of space exploration are twofold. First, satellites are crucial for modern communications, and a public space program was necessary to develop the technology to make satellite launches affordable.

Second, recall Isaac Asimov's line, "There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it anywhere". In the short term, scientific progress occurs because scientists and engineers, funded by public or private interests, want to solve a specific problem. In the long term, science is cumulative. A leads to B, which leads to C, which leads to D, but one could have never imagined D when pursuing A. To give one of many examples, in the 1960s, NASA was almost the only customer for the newly developed integrated circuit. This kept the nascent industry alive, and by the end of the Apollo Program, integrated circuits had developed enough that there was a strong private demand. If we want a prosperous future, we need to invest in science across the board, which includes space, biotechnology, computer science, energy, sociology, Earth sciences, materials science, and so forth. Over the years I've talked with a number of members of Congress and government officials, and it seems that the basic principle is widely understood among policymakers, if not always fully practiced.

However, as much as I like to think about knowledge for its own sake and the distant future of humanity, I recognize that these lofty ideals can only get us so far. Neil de Grasse Tyson once estimated that the maximum that Congress will fund "for knowledge's sake" is about $2 billion. That's nothing to sneeze at, but it won't get us to Mars.

Now some specifics. First, the development of Commercial Spaceflight has allowed companies like SpaceX and Blue Origin to greatly cut the cost of rocket launches. This means lower cost satellites, with benefits to commerce and the military. But the real prize will come once humans develop the capacity to live in cislunar space colonies at Astro Environmental Systems. These will serve as bases to build asteroid mining operations and massive space-based solar power arrays, which will help usher in the era of material abundance on Earth. Even today, companies such as Planetary Resources are working to make this a reality. The Zero-G environment might also allow for novel manufacturing processes that would be difficult or impossible on Earth's surface.

The first lunar colonies are likely to be small research stations. In time, the Moon may turn out to be an ideal location for manufacturing and launching large spacecraft, due to low gravity and lack of an atmosphere. This will accelerate industrialization of cislunar space and increase the feasibility of deep space missions, especially once Mass Driver is invented.

Once we get to Mars, we start moving away from immediately visible economic gains into speculative economics, as well as cultural reasons. I advocate that the first Mission to Mars be a one way trip, with the express purposes of establishing a colony. Here too, the motivation is likely to be scientific, as Mars is very interesting from the perspective of Astrogeology and Astrobiology. Being closer to the asteroid belt, Mars might be a good base for large scale asteroid mining, and early Planetary Trade could happen with concepts such as the Mars Cycler. I expect that Mars will be the first place that quasi-independent human settlement occurs, and where we stop asking "What is the benefit for Earth?"

The problem with mining as an economic model to drive space colonization is that everything you find is probably already available at earth. And in Civ, you only need one mine to have the mineral available for your entire civ.

In the real world, you may have more access to rare metals like Platinum if you start mining astroids. But their market value comes from their rarity. If the market gets flooded, the price may drop significantly, possibly making astroid mining not economically viable. (companies that invest in tar sand oil fields on earth suffer the same problem now that oil prices have dropped significantly). And while Platinum is useful, it is not that you can do without in C2C.

To make astroid mining worthwile, there are three possibilities:

1) introduce quantity to resources requirement, like more iron is needed in civ 5 to make more units. I don't like that, as for a mod the scale of C2C it has the potential to turn into a micromanagement nightmare and will take a lot of time to balance. You might get away with it for one or two resources but not everything. Also, civ 5 sucks so don't copy stuff from there as a matter of principle.

2) make mines on earth run out of certain resources, making astroid mining an absolute necessity. This is possible but hard to to balance. It is the big powerful civs that most likely will be in space first, and if they already have 6 iron sources, getting or losing another one won't matter much, while a smaller civ that has only one iron source will be at most risk of losing it, but has a much smaller economic base to start astroid mining (i.e. it has other problems). Still, this might be an interesting option for densely populated civs that have a strong economy but few natural resources, like Japan and Germany (not coincidentally the two countries that started World War II ). However nowadays Japan and Germany trade for resources in exchange for high tech products that everybody wants to buy. Which makes Earth today a somewhat peaceful planet that is slightly boring from a wargame point of view.

3) There is stuff to be mined in space or on other planets that cannot be mined on earth. From a realistic physics point of view, this is shaky. Helium-3 might be the only real example.
In the Stargate science fiction series for example, there are two fictional metals that aren't found on earth: Naquadah which is a good powersource and has physical characteristics that makes it suitable for certain high tech applications, and Trinium, which is an enormously strong metal suitable for construction of ships etc.

==================

What would be a good reason to start colonizing other planets is an existential threat from outer space from hostile aliens. In the first Stargate series, there was a very high tech alien race that would love to enslave earth but they were too busy fighting among themselves to do it immediately. So earth had some time to organize a defense.

In the movie Star Ship troopers, a city on earth was destroyed by an astroid that had its course deliberately altered by an alien race. So Earth had to take the war to the enemy otherwise they would just continue lobbing massive rocks on Earth cities.

So I think that the best solution to get a meaningful space age would be some kind of alien threat to earth that must be triggered once a civ reaches a certain level in tech or economy. Periodic destruction of a random city on earth like what happened in Starship troopers may be a good start.

You raise some good points, which relate to some broader problems in how natural resources work. I don't have good solutions, but a few thoughts.

First, depending on how the map shapes out, it is possible that certain important resources will be missing. Asteroid mining is a good way to fill those gaps. Second, a new resource, which represents large quantities of the original, can be added. E.g. Platinum (Bulk) might allow certain high tech manufacturing for which Platinum Wares is insufficient. This could be a very limited way to model quantity without letting it get out of control. The easiest solution, though not very satisfying, is just to have the asteroid mine produce a bunch of gold and hammers.

We've seen such transitions in the past. The Bessemer steel process and the Hall-Heroult aluminum smelting process did not create any fundamentally new resources. But they lowered the price of steel and aluminum to such a degree that they opened up new economic possibilities. And I don't know how many of those possibilities were foreseen when the processes were invented.

The problem with mining as an economic model to drive space colonization is that everything you find is probably already available at earth.

But it is very hard to get that stuff up into space. Once you start colonising you will want to get your resources from closer.

I have been toying with a "source of resource" type mechanism. Mostly it was for the early period but I think it will become more relevant later on as well. The idea is that the resource has a "distance" factor. If you produce it locally then you get the best production out of it. If it is not from this city then the amount of production you get from it is less but its luxury value is increased. Stuff that comes from a foreign nation has fewer production but much higher luxury.

This can be extended to on the same continent or island for early transport up until Globalization for example. Similarly for space.

What do I mean by "production"? A number of units and buildings have reduced costs if you have access to a resource. It is this figure that would be adjusted during play to reflect the cost of transport.

Thus you still have access to the resource, don't need a commodity system and it only affects some strategic resources.

We do need some other changes to those tags. For example if a unit gets 20% less to produce with copper at the moment then it should really be 15% less with copper ore, 20% with copper ingots and 30% less with copper wares. Currently the number is additive so it reads 15% with copper ore, 5% with copper ingot and 10% with copper wares. It also needs to work well with a copper or iron reduction.

We've long been looking at volumetric resources and I'm thinking it's coming up very soon. Obviously there are other greater immediate concerns for the mod to quell regions of dissatisfaction but I think this will be an important element in appropriate modelling of many things, space economics included.

One thing we'll have to tackle too is resource access in space or off planet cities. Much like islands, it would be limited or severely restricted due to the expense, as DH points out, to provide it. There's really not a current mechanism that can properly deliver this kind of mechanic.

Ok... well... I suppose it wouldn't hurt to see how it works and if much of it should go into the code we can go about it from a python introduction platform.

One thing we'll have to tackle too is resource access in space or off planet cities. Much like islands, it would be limited or severely restricted due to the expense, as DH points out, to provide it. There's really not a current mechanism that can properly deliver this kind of mechanic.

True. However I firmly believe a space mod should start with a compelling reason to colonize other planets. Just making Mars a bottomless hole to spend cash and hammers on "just because you can" may be interesting the first time you do it, the next game it won't be and if civ A is wasting its cash and hammers on space then that gives civ B a good reason to spend cash and hammers on its military to conquer civ A on earth.
Any discussions on how off-world economy should work should come after that.

True. However I firmly believe a space mod should start with a compelling reason to colonize other planets. Just making Mars a bottomless hole to spend cash and hammers on "just because you can" may be interesting the first time you do it, the next game it won't be and if civ A is wasting its cash and hammers on space then that gives civ B a good reason to spend cash and hammers on its military to conquer civ A on earth.
Any discussions on how off-world economy should work should come after that.

I'm pretty sure the simple truth is that, militarily, space dominance will be as or more valuable than Air dominance has ever been and for similar reasons. Imagine what a focused sun-reflected beam focused from a huge collection center and intensified with something as simple as a lense could do to targets on Earth. Same could be said for satellites but we're fairly capable of knocking satellites out of orbit now.

A nation that has a colony on another planetary body that has achieved self sufficiency and a reasonable expectation of being able to persist such self sufficiency for all foreseeable future would have much less cause to hold back on a doomsday war action on Earth. It is and will always be a race for dominance for a civ to be able to establish a legitimate long term and sustainable colonization on another planet. Again... it comes down to survival.

Global warming is one aspect of the equation. Pollution another. We're probably not far from making Earth itself as habitable as Mars and its going to be the same technologies that give us any capacity to survive it here that will enable us to survive on nearly any other planetary body anywhere.

Furthermore, consider how illusionary money actually is. Other systems could emerge to make the concept of commerce moot and the concept of a unified purpose of a people much more important. As a species, our consideration of whether to attempt colonization elsewhere now is something we're reluctant to engage in because we so easily forget that one reaps what they sow. If we do not strive to achieve this colonization as soon and as quickly as possible, we will miss out on the tremendous opportunity we cannot imagine with our limited worldview today. Endless room to expand exists and yet we bicker over whether we should take the step. Much like Prehistoric Man must have done when someone suggested to build boats that were seaworthy enough to cross larger distances of ocean to perhaps find more room to grow undisturbed by hostile neighbors.

Earlier today, I made some back-of-the-envelope calculations about what the Great Pyramid at Giza would have cost to build. There are estimates that it would cost on the order of $5 billion to build a replica today, comparable to the cost of a state of the art skyscraper such as One World Trade Center.

But what would that be in terms of the Bronze Age Egyptian economy, which had a population of about 1.6 million? To really understand, you have to look at it in terms of share of the national economy. My extremely rough estimate is that if the modern United States were to invest a similar share of GDP on a project to what the Egyptians spent on that one pyramid, it would cost on the order of $5 to 10 trillion. For the world economy, it would be on the order of $20 to $40 trillion.

The motivation for building the Pyramid was a religious system that few people in modern Egypt, or anywhere else in the world, still practice. Yet it is still regarded as one of the most important pieces of the world's cultural heritage.

The point is this: motivation in human history is a very complicated and murky thing, but it is a supremely important driving force, just as much as industrial resources. One new tech I am planning, which might be a gateway to the Galactic Era in the way that Classical Lifestyle is to the Classical Era, is Cosmic Perspective. It represents a revolution in the perception of time and space and of values. Part of it is a plot device to motivate interstellar colonization, which will be a project comparable to pyramid construction in scope and without any obvious near-term economic or military payout. But also, the tech tree includes a fair amount of speculative science and engineering, and we ought not be afraid to use the future eras to explore speculative societies and values as well.

Top Bottom