Unit request: Imperial Guard Tanks

The Great Apple

Big Cheese
I thought I'd stick this as my first Civ 4 unit request for the 40k mod, as they are fairly generic, and could probably be used as tanks in many other semi-futuristic mods.

There are quite a few, but the chasis are quite similar - hopefully that will save a bit of work.

Here is what I am requesting:

Chimera Chasis
  • Chimera
  • Basalisk
  • Hellhound
  • Griffon
  • Manticore
Other
  • Leman Russ
  • Baneblade
  • Shadowsword

For the leman russ it would be lovely if you could make all the turrets and stuff separately so that different parts could be swapped in and out to make other varients.

I'd quite like them animated, otherwise I'd do them myself in blender ;).

I relise this is quite a lot of work for somebody, HOWEVER - you may be able to find models for quite a few of them on the internet (check http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/In...Muffins&intMediaType=-1&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0 for starters - they were made for Civ 3 but are quite high poly). If anybody owns the game "Dawn of War" this would be especially good, as that game already includes low poly models which can be exported quite easily using max. I'm not sure the animations will export, but if they did then this could be a very quick process!

For the Civ 3 WH40k mod there were quite a few of these made, if you want I can talk to the guy who made them and see if I can get the models for you. They are the same models as on the website above, but not all of them are up there. Check http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=2068772&postcount=12 for a list of ones he made.

Ta!

If Orks are going in the mod, don't forget to re-texture some of these units, for looted vechiles, you know. That's my bit for the 40k mod I think.

bah warhammer 40K is for wimps. The only real warhammer game is WFB. And a steam tank is waaaaaay cooler than all of your tanks put together.

Can you guess what I play?

Lord Olleus said:
bah warhammer 40K is for wimps. The only real warhammer game is WFB. And a steam tank is waaaaaay cooler than all of your tanks put together.

Can you guess what I play?
I'd like to see a pathetic little steam tank even try hold it's own against that thing. It'd be wiped out from 72 inches away.

Actually, I haven't played Warhammer in years, but I still like the universe.

TGA, I decided to try my hand at creating these. Here's a sample of what I have so far:

It's going kinda slow cause I'm doing this in between other stuff, plus I don't want to release this until I figure out the team color issue and maybe proper animations as well. Anyway, what I'm saying is that it's gonna take a bit more time, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm working on it.

Cheers

woodelf said:
Totally awesome stuff Rabbit! :drool:
I could not agree more. Great stuff!

I don't know too much about unit creation in Civ 4, but is it possible to make things like those ram-bars detachable/exchangable like has been done with the weapons on default models?

Yep, that's how I'm going to implement. I'm not yet sure to what degree but anything that's kinda "extra" is definitely going to be detachable.

Hey everyone, I got bored of createing StarCraft Units yesterday and checked out the Forums and saw this thread, so I took the Challenge. I know Rabbit_White created one and by the way, It look AMAZING! When I saw the Pic of that imperial Tank, i was awed and said, I had to try to do it. soo this was practice for me and a cool unit to create soo i worked on this one: check it out

[URL=http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imperialtankrender7ip.jpg][/URL]

(im fairly new to Modelling and please be easy on the feedback!)

Killamike718 said:
Hey everyone, I got bored of createing StarCraft Units yesterday and checked out the Forums and saw this thread, so I took the Challenge. I know Rabbit_White created one and by the way, It look AMAZING! When I saw the Pic of that imperial Tank, i was awed and said, I had to try to do it. soo this was practice for me and a cool unit to create soo i worked on this one: check it out

[URL=http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imperialtankrender7ip.jpg][/URL]

(im fairly new to Modelling and please be easy on the feedback!)
First of all, thank you. :)

As for the model you made...

It's a great start, although there's something weird going on with the normals. Notice how the shading on the turret, or the side cannons, looks different from the shading on the main cannon. If this was 3ds max (is it?) I would say you applied the smooth modified with too high a value. I'm not actually sure if it'll affect its appearance in game but it might. Also, this could be just the lighting but the front top part of the treads (name?) looks "wave-y".

Overall though this is a good model. Now you just need to map it, texture it and export it into the game. :thumbsup: :D

Thanks Rabbit White,actually i use maya and truly i did smooth it too much. soo i went in and played around with the Normals section in maya, and i learned soo mcuh, I cant believe that normals existed, although im still trying to figure how they are manipulated, hopefully ill figure it out! Thanks again Rabbit Wite!

Top Bottom