Does destruction of missiles mean war is not needed?

Does destruction of missiles mean war is not needed

• Yes Now let the inspectors do their job

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Its progress, but lets wait and see if he does what he says.

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Its just a trick, hes done such things before lets get a new resolution

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • He had his chance, its too late now. War is needed asap

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters

ellie

Emperor
Iraq has agreed to destroy their illegal missiles, starting tommorow. Does this prove inspectors are working? Has the credible threat of war done its job?.

Ellie

The very credible threat of war has helped. But we need to see if he follows through. Saddam has learned to play the international political scene like a well-tuned violin. He knows just how far he has to go to keep the US soldiers from crossing into Iraq. And he won't go another step further.

Promises, promises... Not very hard to get from Saddam. I'll start getting interested when Blix reports that the missiles were indeed destroyed.
I voted #2, BTW. I'll like to see a *few* more weeks given to him to see if the inspections are at last starting to work and if he does destroy them. I'm not optimistic, though :(

Nod i personally think it is progress, the problem as i see it is we cant keep troops there indefenitly. Isnt it the case that if we wait much longer, the weather will make action impossible?

Perhaps he knows this and is trying to stal till invasion is impossible

Ellie

I voted for option #2.

I said that a response by Thursday would be necessary, and what do you know, the response came thursday.

If they've got a plan to break up these missiles, it would be ridiculous for the US to go in before they do, with that many more missiles in existence, and Saddam showing that he knows when he's been outbullied.

As for not knowing how to destroy them, if the Iraqis can't figure that out, I know a couple hundred thousand servicemen ready to demonstrate how.

A few questions:
1. Why did Saddam have missiles against his commitments in the first place?
2. Since when when you catch someone doing such a thing he doesn't have to pay for it (imagine a cop catches you speeding and you tell him you'll slow down, and it's the 10th time it happened already. Will the cop forgive you?)
3. How can destroying non oparational missiles be helpful when the real weapons are yet to be destroyed?

NO!
Saddam has chemical/biological weapons that are unacounted for.
This is the what the US and UK are arguing.
The missles were just a lucky find that they thought would tip the masses towards war.
Whether he gets rid of them or not makes no difference, he apparently has this other stuff stocked away.

This war is going to happen nomatter what anybody says.
If the UN does not go for it, Americia will do it alone.

The world is watching, I hope they don't F**k it up.
I really fear these Islamic terrorists.
Not because they are a threat to me or my country, but because i have seen what they are capable of doing.

_
__

Im not saying he will disarm.
But are you saying that no matter how much he cooperated war would happen?

Ellie

I put #3. I think it's just a stall technique. Let's get another resolution, but if that won't work let's attack.

The heat from the Iraqi summer makes wearing NBC suits (that's nuclear/biological/chemical not the TV station) horrible. Having worn and trained in those suits in the past, I can agree that the heat would make it nearly unbearable. Wearing them in any weather limits your ability to move and fight. (Of course dying from gas also limits your ability to fight.)

Originally posted by ellie
_
__

Im not saying he will disarm.
But are you saying that no matter how much he cooperated war would happen?

Ellie

Yep!
There is no way the US will back down after all this hype.

All you have to do is listen between the lines.

Its quite obvious he(Hussein) is trying to buy time. Even he probably realizes that escape is not possible, however this makes it inexplicable why he is just staying in Iraq doing a bizzare game. This discovery might compensate for the debacle of asking Turkey to help.

Iraq is just playing a game, if i remember correctly Donald Rumsfield said earlier in the week when the order to destroy the missles first came up that first saddam would say he wouldn't destroy them and then right before the deadline he would agree to destroy them.
Lets see what happened, this whole week he said he would not destroy his missle, and right before the deadline he said he would destroy them.
He's leading us around

Disarming Saddam should not be the motivation for war, it should be freeing the Iraqi people and the beginning the process of removing the despots Cold War polictics placed in power.

Option 3 if it could be done cleanly and quickly.

If not, option 4.

As a point of information, Saddam was written to twice in the 1990s and instructed not to construct these missiles.

Originally posted by EzInKy
Disarming Saddam should not be the motivation for war, it should be freeing the Iraqi people and the beginning the process of removing the despots Cold War polictics placed in power.

Try selling THAT as a UN resolution! :lol: ;)

And in case you forgot, the idea when this Iraq thing was started up again was to keep the terror on in America, it had nothing to do with the Iraqis. The moral justification was handed out later so the best of our bully bullhorns could make people who were against the war look bad.

Originally posted by gael
NO!
Saddam has chemical/biological weapons that are unacounted for.
This is the what the US and UK are arguing.
The missles were just a lucky find that they thought would tip the masses towards war.
Whether he gets rid of them or not makes no difference, he apparently has this other stuff stocked away.

The world is watching, I hope they don't F**k it up.
I really fear these Islamic terrorists.
Not because they are a threat to me or my country, but because i have seen what they are capable of doing.

Unlike what you think, there is a difference between terrorists and Saddam. Saddam has never directly attacked the US homeland, unlike other terrorists. And this US "war on terror" should be called the US "war on Saddam and the war to get oil."

I say let the inspectors keep on working. If they find more illegal items, I think this proves that Saddam is more willing then we thought to play ball with the UN.

Let them work, and if we find something drastic (like a nuke) then lets try this same tactic. And if Saddam refuses, then war is probably going to result.

Although this doesnt necessarily mean that there will be no war if Saddam does destroy the illegal missles, it is proving that the inspections are making progress. Even if Bush is getting really impatient, we should let the inspectors do their job.

Originally posted by Sultan Bhargash

Try selling THAT as a UN resolution! :lol: ;)

And in case you forgot, the idea when this Iraq thing was started up again was to keep the terror on in America, it had nothing to do with the Iraqis. The moral justification was handed out later so the best of our bully bullhorns could make people who were against the war look bad.

My point was what should be the only justification, not what is.

Top Bottom