C2C _ Unhealthiness Mod

Disease/Unhealthiness Mod Design

Currently in C2C what were historically good starting places for nations are very bad places because of all the health reductions due to terrain. So I thought it may be possible to replace the terrain unhealthiness with a disease system that would make the starting places good for small and medium cities but bad for large cities. I then heard a Doctor talking about Malaria, its effects and a history of the search for a cure and it seemed just what I was looking for.

This mod is abut testing this out to see if it works and remains fun. I have done some thinking on other diseases but it is very much in the early stages.

Terrain - Malaria

Malaria is a fairly simple disease to represent in Civ IV game turns and can be used to replace most of the unhealthiness currently given by terrains.

Malaria causes the following
  • unhealthiness
  • reduced production due to the lethargy the disease causes
  • slowed growth as cities get bigger due to increased mortality

I think I can replace all the unhealthiness from jungles and flood plains and most of the unhealthiness from marsh with this game disease called Malaria.

The easiest mechanism I can use to replicate malaria is to have buildings with the desired affects which are given free to a city as it grows. I can also use buildings to represent the actions taken to mitigate the disease. Events can be used to reflect minor and major outbreaks of the disease.

Disease Buildings

As a city grows it will usually get a free building that is associated with its new population size. However cities without a malaria terrain feature may get malaria due to an event. When they reach the next size category they will get the next up malaria instead. So if a pop 15 city gets malaria t will get the "Disease - Malaria 3" when it reaches population 24.

Spoiler :
City Size 1
. Building "Disease - Malaria 0"
. Requires - terrain feature near city - Jungle, Flood Plain or Marsh Or near the tropics
. Affect - none. Small chance of "Event - Malaria I"

. Building "Disease - Malaria 1"
. Requires - terrain feature near city - Jungle, Flood Plain or Marsh and near the tropics
. Affect - +1 :yuck:. +30% more food needed to grow. Small chance of "Event - Malaria I"

City Size 3
. Building "Disease - Malaria 3"
. Requires - "Disease - Malaria 1"
. Affect - +1 :yuck:, +5% more food needed to grow, -5% production, Increased chance of "Event - Malaria I"

City Size 6
. Building "Disease - Malaria 6"
. Requires - "Disease - Malaria 3"
. Affect - +1 :yuck:, +5% more food needed to grow, -5% production, Small chance of "Event - Malaria II"

City Size 12
. Building "Disease - Malaria 12"
. Requires - "Disease - Malaria 6"
. Affect - +2 :yuck:, +10% more food needed to grow, -10% production, Chance of both events increases

City Size 24
. Building "Disease - Malaria 24"
. Requires - "Disease - Malaria 12"
. Affect - +2 :yuck:, +10% more food needed to grow, -10% production, Chance of both events increases

City Size 48
. Building "Disease - Malaria 48"
. Requires - "Disease - Malaria 24"
. Affect - +3 :yuck:, +15% more food needed to grow, -10% production, High chance of both events.

Malaria Mitigation Buildings

Most of these buildings require a tech and a "Disease - Malaria" building to be present.

Spoiler :
Building - "Disease - Malaria - Bed Nets"
. Requires - Tech "Medicine", "Disease - Malaria 3"
. Cost - low
. Affect - +2 healthy, -5% more food needed to grow, +5% production. Reduces chance of both events.

Building - "Disease - Malaria - Fly Screens"
. Requires - Tech "Medicine", "Disease - Malaria 12", "Disease - Bed Nets"
. Cost - low
. Affect - +2 healthy, -15% more food needed to grow, +15% production. Reduces chance of both events.

Building - "Disease - Malaria - Eradication"
. Requires - Tech "Pesticides", "Disease - Malaria 24",
. Cost - high
. Affect - +2 healthy, -10% more food needed to grow, +10% production. Reduces chance of both events.

Building - "Disease - Malaria - Cure"
. Requires - Tech "Future Medicine", "Disease - Malaria 48"
. Cost - very high unless cure found by this civ when it is free.
. Affect - +3 healthy, -15% more food needed to grow, +15% production. No chance of either events.

World Project - Cure for Malaria
. Requires - Tech "Future Medicine"
. Affect - Removes all "Disease - Malaria xxxx" from this nations cities and future cities.

National Wonder - Cure Malaria
. Requires - World Project - Cure for Malaria to have been built. Can't be built bu nation hat has built the World project.
. Affect - Removes all "Disease - Malaria xxxx" from this nations cities and future cities.

Events

Malaria and malaria events do not spread via trade routes to other cities like plagues.

Event - "Event - Malaria I - Small malarial outbreak".

If Malaria was not present in the city it wili now be ie gets "Malaria 1" building. -1 population but can't go lower than 1.

Event - "Event - Malaria II - Major malarial outbreak".

Requires malaria to be present in the city. -1 population per 5 unhealthy (nett) citizens one turn of anarchy in the city. Can't go below population 3.

Starvation - Scurvy

The game definition of starvation will depend on difficulty level and size of the city food store compared to the amount that it is short. So a city that is only one short of food and will starve in 1200 turns isn't really starving.

The Scurvy (event) will occur after a number of turns of starvation. It will cause unhealthiness for a period.

Basically it just increases the chance of disease.

Unhealthiness - plagues

Scaled for game difficulty. It is based on the (nett) number of population unhealthy and urns. Eg 20 unhealthy turns ie either one turn with a nett of 20 unhealthy population or a city having 1 unhealthy for 20 turns.

Plague I - loose all unhealthy population + 1 turn anarchy per 5 unhealthy at start of event.

Plague II - as Plague I but loose half you healthy population also. Plus chance to spread to nearby cities.

Effects of these would be mitigated by buildings such as "Plague Hospital" and so on.

War and Sieges

Sieges are probably covered by starvation especially if we can interdict a city like naval units can.

Disease among units is different and needs some more thought.

Initial thoughts include an event that is based on the number of turns of war and size of the stack.

Future of this mod

If this works and is fun then I can start looking at the different diseases and where they fit in to this model. For example smallpox first to discover "Animal Husbandry" gets this in one of their cities. Presence is represented by a building. Affect population reduced to the square root of the current population rounded down. Small chance of minor outbreak latter. Spreads via trade routes very fast effecting the whole continent in a few turns.

Sounds interesting. One thing to bear in mind (just an observation in how we integrate it into C2C not a value-judgement) is that mods like this that make fundamental balance changes can't just be added to the base without making changes there (so removing the base unhealth which you obviously intend as part of this, but isn't really in keeping with it being a modular mod).

Sounds interesting. One thing to bear in mind (just an observation in how we integrate it into C2C not a value-judgement) is that mods like this that make fundamental balance changes can't just be added to the base without making changes there (so removing the base unhealth which you obviously intend as part of this, but isn't really in keeping with it being a modular mod).

Actually it is completely modular as I have the changes to base terrain and feature unhealthiness in my mod nowhere else. So if this mod is not included then you have the standard unhealthiness. I aim for all my mods to be modular.;)

Currently in C2C what were historically good starting places for nations are very bad places because of all the health reductions due to terrain.

I will definitely agree here. There were tons and tons of outbreaks before the Renaissance Era, that in some places killed a whole town. And the bodies had to be burnt, trying to stop the outbreak.

I dont know how your going to mesh this in C2C but sounds interesting. Even though i dont like anything that has a -:yuck: in it. Same i said to Hydro for the -:gold:, but he worked it out pretty good. Not done but still good.:p

I will definitely agree here. There were tons and tons of outbreaks before the Renaissance Era, that in some places killed a whole town. And the bodies had to be burnt, trying to stop the outbreak.

I dont know how your going to mesh this in C2C but sounds interesting. Even though i dont like anything that has a -:yuck: in it. Same i said to Hydro for the -:gold:, but he worked it out pretty good. Not done but still good.:p

You don't get the choice to build the disease buildings you get them for free if you meet the requirements. Being free you can't sell them either.:mischief:

Re-posting my old Disease System ideas here so we can collaborate ideas ...

So I was working on my Health Mod and wanted to have something to counter all the health they bring. So I was thinking about how to apply diseases to the game beyond just random events. And I came up with this idea ...

Like Religions or Corporations
Use the Religions or Corporations as a base where each disease is like a diffrent religion or corporation. They would spread a lot quicker than regions or corporations too.

New Category
Is it possible to make a separate category for diseases? Just like religions are in a separate category than corporations. If not we would have to piggy back on one of them.

Tech Discovered
Like religions, the first to discover a tech would be the first to discover a disease. Such a first to discover Naturpathy, Medicine or Modern Medicine could be first to discover a disease.

Event Discovered
Not as important but i suppose it could be possible to have some discovered through events if you wanted to.

Disease Stats
Just like corporations giving a bonus to a city with it in the city the diseases would give a negative effect to whatever city it was present in. The nastier the disease the worse the effects.

Resource Effects
Different resources could have effects upon the diseases such as having Pig resources gives +1 unhealthy with Swine Flu in your city. On the other hand some might counter the effects such as Lemons give +1 health to Scurvy.

Spreading Diseases
Like having Missionaries or Executives you could have "Infected" units to spread diseases to rival nations.

Curing Unit
Like having an Inquisition to remove religions from your city you could have a "Doctor" to help cure diseases. Thus removing a specific disease from your city.

Tech Curing
Each diseases would have a diffrent tech involved with its cure. Such as developing a smallpox vaccine to cure smallpox while things like the common cold would not have a cure until possibly the trans-human era.

Diseases

A helpful link.

Spread
- Very Slow
- Slow
- Medium
- Fast
- Very Fast

-----

Anthrax (Req Animal Husbandry)
Cause: Random Chance when Access to Sheep or Cow Resources
Spread: Slow
Cure: Smart Drugs

Special Abilities
  • +1 :yuck:
  • +1 :yuck: from Sheep
  • +1 :yuck: from Cow
  • +5% Spread from Cow
  • +5% Spread from Sheep

-----

Cholera (Req Canal Systems)
Cause: Random Chance
Spread: Fast

Special Abilities
  • +4 :yuck:
  • +1 :health: from Freshwater
  • +1 :health: from Sanitation
  • +1 :health: from Modern Sanitation
  • -5% Spread from Freshwater
  • -5% Spread from Sanitation
  • -5% Spread from Modern Sanitation

-----

Diphtheria (Req Trade)
Spread: Medium
Cure: Medicine

Special Abilities
  • +2 :yuck:

-----

Dysentery (Req None)
Cause: Random Chance when City has Unhealthiness
Cure: Modern Health Care

Special Abilities
  • +1 :health: from Freshwater
  • +1 :health: from Sanitation
  • +1 :health: from Modern Sanitation
  • -5% Spread from Freshwater
  • -5% Spread from Sanitation
  • -5% Spread from Modern Sanitation

-----

HIV (Req Genetics)
Cause: Random Chance with Laboratory
Cure: Homo Superior

Special Abilities
  • +2 :mad:
  • +5 :yuck:
  • +25% Spread from Brothel
  • +10% Spread from Bath House

-----

Influenza (Req None)

Special Abilities
  • +1 :yuck:
  • +5% Spread from Pig

-----

Leprosy (Req Crop Rotation)
Spread: Slow

Special Abilities
  • +1 :mad:
  • +2 :yuck:

-----

Malaria (Req None)
Cause: Random Chance with Jungle in City Radius

Special Abilities

-----

Measles (Req Anatomy)

Special Abilities
  • +3 :yuck:

-----

Plague (Req Agriculture Tools)
Cause: Random Chance with Wheat or Rice

Special Abilities
  • +2 :mad:
  • +5 :yuck:
  • +10% Spread from Wheat
  • +10% Spread from Rice

-----

Scarlet Fever (Req Biology)

Special Abilities
  • +3 :yuck:
  • +5% Spread from Cow

-----------------

Still more to do ...

Spoiler :

Smallpox

Syphilis

Tuberculosis

Typhoid Fever

Typhus

If you have ideas for what effects the diseases should have on a city when infected please post.

That is the :yuck: I am talking about replacing with Disease. I still have to write the Python to give the free buildings and then I will need to earn about events.

That is the :yuck: I am talking about replacing with Disease. I still have to write the Python to give the free buildings and then I will need to earn about events.

Great, and btw, i was going to talk to you about replacing the wolf for the Hunter, but i like the new one way better and icon, way to go.

Thank you in advance DH, I'm looking forward to plague, and the horrors that come from. And sickness events should definately be regular things.

HIV (Req Genetics)
Cause: Random Chance with Laboratory
Cure: Homo Superior

Special Abilities

+2
+5
+25% Spread from Brothel
+10% Spread from Bath House

LOL this is great you should keep working its a great idea :eek:

I favor the idea of using the religion/corp mechanism to express plague.

If you go w the buildings, how does the building go away? Historically speaking, a plague was only tolerated for so long. Districts were burned to the ground, homes were bricked up w still-living infected. Mass purges by the sword, followed by fire. Until the plague was gone. There must definitely be ways to remove the plague building.

Are you thinking of a different building for each plague? Would the chances of outbreak increase for cities that are already sicker? Would sickness be heaped onto a city under plague? Making the city more susceptible to other plagues? I think that would be totally appropriate. However, the time per turn becomes an issue w the game. As 20 years could pass between turns. A plague won't be bringing a city to the brink of death for more than 20 years. The city would long since have been abandoned, or burned to an uncontaminated state. A plague event must be swift, costly. It should have a randomer chance of persisting, or re-emerging, but the city should suffer greatly in such instances.

For this, and many other reasons, I've proposed that rounds should not be longer than 5-10 years, ever. Certainly making for epic games of course, but fitting for the level of technological intricacy and building proliferation.

I hold that any system should start out simple, and usually stay simple. But I'm still eager to see it happen.

As for plagued units... Just create barbarian disease. It appears w/out warning. You don't see it even move into your space. The unit essentially is attacked, and left unharmed, harmed, or dead.

I was only going to use the buildings for malaria and perhaps the presence of a other particular disease. Buildings are not the solution to all the diseases just the terrain unhealthiness one I a calling malaria. These buildings 'go away' when you build the counter buildings.

Some diseases I can still use events to trigger an outbreak. For spread, I have some python.

Given the length of years in a turn most will last less than a turn but not all. Then there is latter eras where turns become shorter and shorter time periods.

If I use the religion/corp mechanism then you can have early religious units purge the illness like other religions.

UPDATED 2 Aug 11, 4:15 a.m.

Some of the changes include, almost ALL new terrain, water, coastal waves, etc.

Lots of tweaks to the dll, to IMPROVE turn times, and especially the way the AI NOW works, really bug change on that, need info on the way they are working now.

Brand new way of Culture for each and every civ, has there own way of working the situation were they are placed on a map, with the resources that they have in vicinity.

Added Australia to the core mod as an Oceania Culture.

HALF the size of the old mod, which also means again better turn times.

This is only 1/8 of what "we" have done from version 14 to 15

Love this idea. Some ideas that get spread could use a religion or corporation spread model. Like Ignorance, or anti-intellectualism, or jihadism, or hatred. Memes are powerful spreading ideas.

Top Bottom