Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

OK so where is the line drawn? Can we make a 4gb card with 1gb of useless vram? How about 1.5gb? 2gb?

OK so where is the line drawn? Can we make a 4gb card with 1gb of useless vram? How about 1.5gb? 2gb?

There's no useless vram in the 970, you simply lose a handful of fps at 4K resolutions.

"Amount of memory" has always a borderline-irrelevant spec for video cards. Look at real world performance numbers.

Not really clear what a "policy key" is, all that Google turns up is some university in Florida. From their description, looks like spyware, I wouldn't recommend.

That's basically what it is (spyware) from their own description. However, I have to agree to it to use the campus internet network. I can deal with it but it keeps randomly resetting itself. :mad:

I'm using Firefox 45.0.1. Suddenly, HTML5 videos are unviewable, although the audio comes through. Other embedded video formats like Flash are working fine.

There are no problems in safemode. However, if I go into normal mode and manually disable all my extensions, the problem remains.

So what's the probable culprit then? I don't believe I've updated my browser recently and this only started maybe 2 or 3 days ago.

I'm using Firefox 45.0.1. Suddenly, HTML5 videos are unviewable, although the audio comes through. Other embedded video formats like Flash are working fine.

There are no problems in safemode. However, if I go into normal mode and manually disable all my extensions, the problem remains.

So what's the probable culprit then? I don't believe I've updated my browser recently and this only started maybe 2 or 3 days ago.

Clearing the cache and deleting cookies did the trick.

Firefox has declared Youtube Unblocker (an extension that gets around geoblocking on youtube) to be "unsafe" and told me it should be disabled, but I can't find any news as to why. Anyone heard anything? This extension was really useful and I'm missing it since it's been removed.

It turns out they were slipping in spyware that they didn't declare in the privacy agreement.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/03/f...-add-on-removed-by-mozilla-for-bad-behaviour/

This addon had no name and was modified in a way that it did not show up under about:addons, so it stayed invisible to the user. The addon file was called watcher.xpi (attached), was saved in the Firefox profile folder and got enabled without user feedback.

I am choosing a new laptop for work, and it has to have an encrypted hard drive. There is only one approved software product, made by PGP and it drastically reduces performance. My current laptop (Toshiba Portage Z830-11J) has an encrypted SSD that you enter the password as you turn it on, and after that it has no effect. So the OS knows nothing about it, and I install and re-install the OS as I like. It seems that most of the laptops available now use the Opal Storage Specification, which does intreact with the OS. This would not be acceptable to work, as it is not used by the one approved bit of software.

Does anyone know any links to information on the options for SSD encryption? What about the name of my current encryption method so I can search for it in available laptops?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6891/...ndows-8-edrive-investigated-with-crucial-m500

IMO nothing other than bitlocker is worth using on Windows for full-disk encryption.

Specific hardware is kind of irrelevant if you have to use approved software that doesn't use hardware encryption, just get whatever you want and then deal with the cludgy software.

With my current drive when I turn it on before you get to the bios it asks you for a password. After you enter the password it has no interaction with the OS. I got it with Windows, I installed linux a few times and then went back to windows. This was acceptable within the policy. Once I have any software running that interacts with the encryption it has to be this one bit of software. I want another laptop that works like this one.

Yes, that's ATA disk encryption- you just want something that works the same way?

AFAIK, any SSD that's specced as supporting encryption will support ATA/SED encryption. (Plus HDDs that are specced as SEDs, but no real point in buying those.) Far more of a challenge is to get a motherboard/bios that supports it - only really reliable way is to a get a system that the vendor sells with an encrypted disk option and then swap in your own disk if that's what you want to use.

Yes, that's ATA disk encryption- you just want something that works the same way?

AFAIK, any SSD that's specced as supporting encryption will support ATA/SED encryption. (Plus HDDs that are specced as SEDs, but no real point in buying those.) Far more of a challenge is to get a motherboard/bios that supports it - only really reliable way is to a get a system that the vendor sells with an encrypted disk option and then swap in your own disk if that's what you want to use.

Yes, I want something that works the same way. I hope knowing what it is called will help with finding one, thanks. My current laptop came with it working like this out of the box, I hope I can find one that does that.

I use a Windows 8.1 laptop. When I logged on a little while ago, I found that my settings for how I view the screens was changed to the default, and I can't change it back. I have poor vision, so I use the CTRL + "+" to adjust each screen to whatever level is comfortable.

That's not working now. I can barely see what I'm typing.

I'm using Firefox (it just updated to the latest version).

How can I fix this? Everything looks microscopic now.

Try using Ctrl + mousewheel or going into Options and adjusting the magnification or default font size there.

Try using Ctrl + mousewheel or going into Options and adjusting the magnification or default font size there.
Thank you! Now I can see again - it's actually painful to try to read such tiny font.

I've been trying to figure out what caused it, though. It worked fine last night.

Maybe you hit Ctrl-0 by accident?

Maybe you hit Ctrl-0 by accident?
What does that do?

And this fix didn't stick, btw. I just had to readjust the size after visiting another website and returning here. Is it something I'm going to have to do every time?

I also tried Options, and that doesn't seem to do anything.

Ctrl-0 resets the zoom rating. I don't think you should need to use Ctrl + mouse-wheel every time you revisit a site. If you see the three lines icon near the top-right of your Firefox browser and click on that, you should also see a magnification option there.

Ctrl-0 resets the zoom rating. I don't think you should need to use Ctrl + mouse-wheel every time you revisit a site. If you see the three lines icon near the top-right of your Firefox browser and click on that, you should also see a magnification option there.
I've noticed that every time I come here from my email notifications I have to do CTRL-mousewheel to get this to the point where I can read it.

I tried opening in a new tab, and the same thing happens. I have to readjust it every single time.

I tried the magnification, and it drives me nuts.

I can't get the CTRL++ to work (CTRL+- doesn't work either).

I wouldn't have had any reason to hit CTRL++ just logging in this morning, because I expected everything to work normally. Instead, my email was microscopic.

The only unusual thing that happened today was the latest version of Firefox.

Maybe you could try the NoSquint addon. It's what I got back when I tried a search related to your problem just now.

Top Bottom