IOT Organisational and Discussion Thread

If you haven't already, or backed out when I started getting all science-y on you, you should check out Voices in the Dark, my next project. While this will eventually lead into a character-based IOT depicting the struggles of mankind's first extrasolar colony, this thread is being used to get player input and construct a collaborative backstory, one which directly impacts the way the game will play out.

We're currently working on the organization which establishes the mission, as well as ideological and social movements spread across Earth and her intrasystem colonies.

If you need to read some of the thread to get caught up, than all the official details so far are included in the posts titled "The State of Earth," and a two-part "Report on Modern Technology."

Link to video.

THE FOURTH WORLD ORDER

Hans Smith slammed his fist on the desk, "These Nosdrachans, Americans, and stupid judges are getting in the way of the late fuhrer's master plan!"

The Man sat in a swivel chair with is back facing Hans. The nondescript office building in Buenos Aires granted a wonderful view of the city ODESSA could rightfully claim its own. "What is a default between friends?"

Hans rolled his eyes, "Friends that suddenly want us out of America. Odin bankrolls our operations more than even you would care to admit."

"I know," the Man sighed. "It is shameful how we must operate in a country ran by rivals, but the Americans...the Order at least. They'll come around. Especially once the papers here in Argentina start suggesting Argentina seek succor from the Soviets."

"Don't let a WR operative hear you say that unless you want your head talked off from your neck."

"In the end," The Man turned around to face Hans, his steely blue eyes piercing ODESSA's second-in-command very soul, "We must stay the course. Neither the Order nor the World Revolution...or shapeshifting baby eating transdimensional reptiles or dragon demons can hope to stop the might that is ODESSA. I've seen the passing of three world orders, Hans. The British Order, the Cold War, the American Order. We're entering a new era, and we will be the ones dictating terms this time."

"Once we stop hemorrhaging money I assume."

======================================​

The Fourth World Order is the fourth in the Sonspiracy series, set six years after the end of Sonspiracy III. Sonspiracy is about creating secret societies and taking over the world through covert means such as media propaganda or overt means such as outright corporate mergers and even military assaults against rival organizations.

Features

Espionage is actually a thing. Transferring money, sending secret messages, and performing actions leave behind traces and information which can be scooped up by investigating groups. Players and their secret societies, merely being the heads of their massive organizations, must be aggressive in not only finding out what their rivals are doing, but what their own organizations are doing.

Conspiracy Kings: Players only directly control their own secret society. Directives can be handed down to direct proxy groups, who will direct and mobilize their own proxy networks to carry out your will. Be careful as your organization expands, as it can take time for the going-ons of distance groups to reach the desk of your own secret society.

The Power of Media: Nothing gets reported in updates unless a media group picks up on something and reports on it. Use the media to shape the narrative and fabricate your own truths. Not all information is meant to get out however. Be prepared to direct massive cover-ups to wipe out your involvement in politically-sensitive actions, such as backstabbing an ally.

I'm just saying that I will be holding off on IOT until I complete my math assignment that I procrastinated on. Will be back up and running on the 31st at the absolute latest, but hopefully it won't take that long.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=534096

So, I decided to try a new sort of MP-style game.

-I plan on making there be relatively few NPCs to fight over, which ensures inequality and that there's always an "antagonist" of some sort
-Economics is dynamic and while mostly behind the scenes, economies rise and fall based on the demands of the world's population
-Warfare is more loose, with less focus on arbitrary units and more on the manpower, hardware, and tactics one brings to bear
-The way expansion is set up, it will last a good length of the game, always keeping a source of tension and debate
-Spies are limited in number, encouraging resource management

FROM THE WRITER OF THE VON IOT FAMILY

AND THE CO-PRODUCER OF FORUMGATE

COMING JANUARY

IdIOT Shock and Terror:

Preamble? Preshamble!

Spoiler :

Link to video.

>be a scientist in year 3000
>be working on ‘merican superweapon
>accidentally a weapon that causes all the nations in the world to suddenly collapse and to be replaced by weird nations inhabited by humans and non-humans
>whoops.jpeg
>spaghetti oozes out of my pockets
>then the prince of bel-air came in
>he opened the door
>got on the floor
>everybody did the dinosaur
>and then a skeleton popped out

Have you ever wanted to play as a nation, but you have thought “Nah, that would be too silly and stupid for this game?” Have you ever felt like being a nation from some random silly fictional show, but knew that everyone would look at you and the GM would say “ha-ha-ha-no”. Have you ever felt like acting completely bathorsehocky insane in a game, but didn’t want to ruin the srsbuiness game for other people? OF COURSE YOU HAVE! This is your chance for you to make a super silly nation, your chance to let your creative juices have their freedom, your chance to emancipate all of the silly, foolish or just plain stupid ideas you have had from your head and allow them their freedom. And everyone likes freedom, right?

Applications and Joining: Restrictions on your Freedom

Spoiler :
Wait! Wait! Before you grab your guns and run off to your OsamaCare-Proof Freedom Bunkers™, your freedoms aren’t going to get restricted THAT much. And they’re only being restricted to stop CommuNazi Terrorists, so it’s all fine.

Joining the IOT is pretty simple. At the most basic level, I need a name, a quick description of your government and 20 claims on the map. More RP will be highly appreciated though (like history), as that is what will make this IOT funny and interesting. Note that things like tech levels, population and what exactly your nation is inhabited by are not currently tracked so it can be completely determined by you, the player. Powergaming will result in me either ignoring things or, for blatant cases, Dr Hax summoning a hurricane of computers to ruin your nation, so consider well.

Stats: Details of the fifty PSQL databases that NinjaCow64 will drive you insane with

Spoiler :
I’m just joking, the amount of stats in this game is not anywhere near as complex as even something like an early SonIOT. It’s mainly RP focused, I just have a few stats because I don’t trust myself to just wing it.

There are five stats at the beginning of the game. There might be extra stats that I might add if RP it up enough (ala Slavery from MPIV), but you don’t have to worry about that at the moment. The five stats are Money, Economy, Military, Political and Stability.

Money ($) is the amount of money you have. You use it to buy things. Pretty simple.

The Economy Stat is the amount of money you make per turn. It is an abstract representation of the amount of money your nation makes. Think of them like factories from early SonIOTs. Each point in the Economy Stat produces $1 per turn and it costs $5 to increase it by one point.

The Military Stat is an abstract representation of your military strength. You use them to fight your wars for you. They also cost $5 to increase it by one point (see the pattern?). The military stat will be further discussed in another section.

The Political Stat is the state capacity for espionage, both against dissident groups in the country and against other countries. Political points can be used for espionage against other nations by investing points into other nations or used for espionage defence for you and your puppets. Espionage will be discussed in a separate section as well. Also, you can use the Political Stat to increase Stability by 1% per point you get. It costs $5 to increase your Political Stat by one point (surprise, surprise). The Political Stat is subject to the most random variations to discourage people from guessing who is doing what espionage action.

Stability is measured by a percentage. The lower it is the more the populace wants your head on a pike. When Stability gets low Bad Things™ start happening so keep that Stability high!

War, Espionage and You: Nobody ever goes to war in an IOT so you can just skip this part no problem

Spoiler :
The Military Stat is an incredibly abstract representation of your military. Each point is equivalent to a unit in a normal IOT. As each nation is going to have variable technology rates and military organization, each point will represent something vastly different for each nation. One military point could represent a giant mech or one million peasants armed with sharped spoons, they would have an equal chance of beating each other.

War orders are simple. Just say how many points of the Military Stat you are placing to attack/defend a certain region. All points that aren’t assigned by the player are put on generic defence mode. Be warned, if you get attacked in multiple fronts generic defence mode will give you a penalty. You can send more complicated war plans if you like and you’ll probably get a bonus for them. However, as RP is basically masturbation if nobody but the GM and the player reads it, all war plans will be divulged after a few turns.

The combat system is based off of Sone’s Standard Combat System of old. The number of points participating on each side of the battle have the bonuses multiplied or added onto them. These two new numbers are then added together, they each come up with a percentage. For example, if two armies worth 100 Military Points go up against each other they each have a 50% chance of winning. If one army only has 10 Military Points and the other has 90 then the first army has a 10% of winning and the other has a 90% chance of winning. A RNG is used to then determine the winner of the battle, larger rolls on the RNG will mean more provinces are taken. The victor kills 25-50% of the enemy's numbers, whereas the loser kills 1-50% of the enemy's numbers.

Espionage will work a similar way to battles, except instead of Military Points being put through the Standard Combat System it will be Political Points invested in whatever nation. Enemy spies will fight each other when they are in the same nation. Winning a “battle” of spies will result in your schemes being successful and your enemies’ spies being driven out. Losing means that your plot will fail, depending on the degree of failure they might even find out compromising information about your plot!

Roleplay: The kind of Funposting that will make Ninja giggle

Spoiler :
This is, if you haven’t guessed already, primarily a comedy IOT. And this game will be about as funny as bowel cancer if the player’s don’t spend time doing Roleplay to MAKE it funny.

Doing RP will give you hilariously unbalanced and biased bonuses. Although I will reward players for doing RP even if I don’t find it funny, if I DO find it funny the bonuses will be bigger. I find a lot of things funny, although I am prone to dadist funposting I do find subtle satire and other kinds of “gentile” humour. Just try your best everyone!

Miscellaneous:

Spoiler :
-[insert standard “don’t be a bad sport” rules here]
-You can claim five provinces per turn
-Each turn is a year in game
-I’ll try and update once a week, or possibly faster
-Genocides have a 60% chance of success per province. Genocides will also do wonders for you national stability and your international reputation.
-This game is also known as VichyNES: Mosher’s Glorious Anschluss
-NPCs might pop up out of successful revolts, the inevitability of player inactivity and if I feel bored and want some more nations on the map. NPCs usually are easily intimated into becoming political and economic vassals. Be warned however, some nations have leaders that make the leadership of North Korea look positively sane.
-Sucking up to the GM will almost always end well.
-Shrek is love. Shrek is life.
-If in doubt, pray to Ravus and the rest of the IOT Pantheon.
-The most important thing is to have fun.

OOC: This is the draft ruleset, if there is any questions/things that are completely unreadable in there, please point them out and I'll go and address them.

Leave it to NC to christen our first expressly Dadaist game. :p

DIBS ON GRAND FENWICK P.S. I'm totally sending all my orders via ENIGMA.

Will the Imperium of Man return to reclaim its rightful place? Will Vinsin Vancore find himself transported to a strange other Earth? Will Victor Miles get elected Grand Premier of the S.U.D.S? Will the Necrocracy of Baase discover a portal to this world, allowing through a dark mission to convert the populace to the ways of death? Will goblins retake their rightful place as rulers of the world? Will the Inner Dominion find inner peace? And who will Ailedhoo play in NC's game? Find out later on thy say!

Prepare for a hacker nation in your IOT NC.

Top Bottom