City limits

Unreal, you don't know how long I have waited for this.

I have googled this every month or two for about 4 years. FINALLY!!

This is the most important breakthrough in computing since the Internet.

Pity my wife will probably leave me now.

Oh well, more time for playing stupendously huge maps.

Respect.

Hope this keps being tweaked by coder in the background ... so far is working for me as intended, but will see if run into issues stated above, so far no problems.

Pity my wife will probably leave me now.

I feel your pain, brother. I get in trouble for playing so much civ, but I'm expected to sit around on the couch and let my brain rot watching inane crap on the boob-tube...*sigh* Such is married life, no? :rolleyes:

This fix is pretty cool I must say, and it makes me curious as to what else can be modified. I'd hazard a guess that many of the much maligned hard-coded "features" in Civ3 could be worked-around by someone who knows how to work with .exe and .dll files with assembler. Unfortunately it's been like 5 years since I even TOUCHED assembly language, and even then all I could do was output "Hello World" in DOS and then change the screen to VGA. lol

sYn honestly doesnt think that it would be possible to crack improvements or resources limit. But some limits like units or towns ones were able to be found. If theres any other ideas about limits which are able to be checked while playing - write me.

I started the 8192 unit save, but if you don't need it I won't finish!
Sorry :rolleyes:

No problem.. I didn't get that far into it. :) For improvements, I believe Steph said it may not be possible either from what he could see in save game data IIRC. But I (and all of us) definitely appreciate you guys checking it out.

I agree (with my limited knowledge of the subject), some of the limits, like having 5 culture groups I doubt can be altered in any way, because I doubt there is a way to actually apply additional graphics to other culture groups even if a limit (if there is one) was lifted; since the game looks for specific filenames.

nice .. now if only building limit fixed have most of wishes meet, what a nice holiday gift.

sYn honestly doesnt think that it would be possible to crack improvements or resources limit. But some limits like units or towns ones were able to be found. If theres any other ideas about limits which are able to be checked while playing - write me.

Regarding improvements, would it be possible to add a building or improvement as a prerequisite, or as a requirement like a resource?

So far, no problems with the new patch. I am fairly certain that unit counts exceeded 8192 in my current game some time ago. I'm playing Deity on extra huge map with 70% land. Turn 200 so far, and although I only have about 110 units, my power is a tiny sliver compared to the average nation.

It was strange, in this game, on a single turn (around turn 150) 4 civilizations were destroyed. I suppose that is possible to have happen, although extremely rare they would all be destroyed on the same turn somehow!

If recall correctly .. there is a limit on the number of Buildings that can be in a game/mod (unless use Stephs game mechanics) .. would it be poosible to remove this.

Also believe the limit removal for units is working, at least the game I am testing doesn't crash to desktop anymore.

Simple english, please ;P

Regarding improvements, would it be possible to add a building or improvement as a prerequisite, or as a requirement like a resource?

In other words, to build a cannon requires saltpeter, iron, and a barracks.

I don't know if it's just my game or something else, but not one nation is at war and hasn't been for some 50+ turns (other than the few at war with me). I just spent some 4000 gold placing embassies everywhere to see what was going on in the world scene, but most nations are just sitting around happy and content. Maybe it's because MPP's and alliances aren't known yet. I certainly hope that a number over 8192 isn't confusing the AI algorithm that calculates other civ's power to decide if to declare war or not!

@The Guardian: doing something like that would probably require access to the source code, because it's likely too complicated to do modifying exe binary data (which probably isn't even possible for most human beings). Even decompiling the exe I think isn't plausible due to several factors; one of them being recompiling and having it actually work. Although my knowledge is quite limited on the subject.

@tom: How powerful are the AI relative to each other? If they see each other as being roughly the same strength, they'll be less likely to attack one another.

It's quite drastic in some circumstances. My neighboring civ is a powerhouse (4x territory as me, with probably x8 the units), way more powerful than any other civ on the continent. I have been at war with 2 civs now for over 100 turns, yet only finally have 4 units arrived at my borders (civ was probably 30-40 tiles away) and 1 boat. Their units move at 2 speed, and I know they have alot of units.. usually they swarm all over the place. I actually forgot I was at war with them.

This is CoMM3 I'm testing it on. Usually the whole place is like a crazy slug-fest. And it was up until around turn 150 or so.

I am considered weak to 'almost' everyone. Many times civ's will just declare war and attack each other. I still get occasional 'give me this or war', but it seems everyone is overly peace-loving (perhaps they are all smoking the special cigarettes?) :smoke:

I'm probably jumping the gun, it's only been under 100 turns since the wars stopped. Lots of embargos going on though, so I feel once MPP and alliances come into play, it will probably end up being me against the world.

EDIT: Seems they are all getting back to normal, must have been nothing.

It was strange, in this game, on a single turn (around turn 150) 4 civilizations were destroyed. I suppose that is possible to have happen, although extremely rare they would all be destroyed on the same turn somehow!
Sounds like a bug to me, too early to say for sure though.

Top Bottom