Additional Civilizations (by DJSHenninger)

Northumbria can now be downloaded and tested for balance.

Northumbria

Spoiler :
Available versions: BNW

Emphasized on: Faith | Warfare | Culture

Leader: Aldfrith
UA: Haliwerfolc - Purchasing with Faith becomes cheaper the more Culture the Capital generates. Cities with a Military Land Unit garrisoned inside them gain a +25% Production bonus towards Land Units.

UB: High Cross. Replaces the Amphitheater. Extra effect(s):
> +1 Faith and +1 Culture for every military building in this City
> Trained units gain XP based on the city's Cultural output

UU: Thegn. Replaces Horseman. Extra effect(s):
> The Thegn is not classified as a mounted unit, but as a melee unit
> Requires no Horses
> It still has the same promotions a mounted unit would have (Move after Attacking, No defensive terrain bonuses), except for the City Penalty
> -1 Movement
> Thegns and units entering tiles adjacent to Thegns become stronger the less hp they have. The bonus is lost only if these units enter a tile not adjacent to a Thegn

Notes:
- To makes thing more simple: the Thegn is a melee unit with 3 movement, may move after attacking and no defensive terrain bonuses. It strengthens adjacent units and even more if they have less hp.
- UA: 5 culture = -5% Faith cost, 10 culture = -10%, up to 50 Culture. These are thresholds, not examples, so 7 culture = -5% Faith cost
- UB: Barracks, armory and military base are affected (+3 Faith, +3 Culture max.). Experience from Culture bonus: 5 culture = 5 exp, up to 15 exp. Again, thresholds.
- UU: Thegn and units entering adjacent tiles gain 10% Combat Strength. When a unit has 75 or less Hp, it gains extra 10%, 50 hp = another 10% and 25 hp as well, up to a maximum of 40%. However, the unit has to enter another adjacent tile to get the extra bonus, even if it is already adjacent. Even the Thegn has to move once to get the new bonus.

Credits:
Scapegrace: Civ Design, City List, Trait name
Maklohi Vai: Civ Design, Diplo Lines
ldvhl: City List
Unit Skin: Danrell

Download:
BNW version (Mediafire)

I maded a contribution! =]

First credit on a mod! It looks great; I'll test it over the weekend when I have time. Do you still need some text by chance?

Sweet candy! Thanks for letting me be involved. FYI, it's ldvhl - the dvh is surrounded by lower-case letter Ls.

Alright, I'm testing Northumbria as the AI now (as in, I'm someone else, he's AI controlled) and the opening diplo text isn't showing up. Other diplo text is, however.

So, my thoughts thus far:

I love the synergy of the Civ so far. The UA and UU make early warmongering pretty damned viable, especially if you can chuck out a few Thegns before Chivalry and level them up a bit. It's a shame that you can't really use the Thegn bonus to boost Siege units, but for land wars the thing's a beast. Something I enjoyed doing was using them for hit-and-run tactics with Crossbowmen and the knights formerly known as Thegns; I was lucky in that I got two Scouts upgraded to Archers, so the resultant Crossbows were very agile. Hell, I was so confident in my ability to wreck the enemy's day that I went for +1 Range first rather than +1 Attack. FYI, I never do this.

Unless I'm playing as England, but then it's not really optional. =]

Anywho, Thegns are really good, the Civ feels well put together, but you do get a substantial advantage when it comes to land wars, especially if you can get a Forge in your primary production city. I got lucky and had three sources within range of the Capital along with Horses, so between the bonuses from the Forge and the UA there were many stabby things pumped out, all of them highly versatile and all of them buffed up. Congrats on the Civ; the UA may be a little overpowered, but hey, Korea's a thing. =]

So, my thoughts thus far:

Thanks, useful feedback! Especially the Siege units part, must have forgotten it or something :p Hmmh, I assume the Military Production part of the UA is a bit overpowered. I could lower the bonus, of course, but 15% may be too low; too boring. If I can pull it off, I can do something different, like: When you station a Cultural Great Person or a Great General in a City, you'd get the bonus. Or I'll leave it like this :p

Hey DJSHenniger - I love playing with your mods! I have another mod called Civ IV traits in Civ V, but I noticed your civs aren't supported. Any chance you'd add them?

Thanks!

(it's at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13427249)

Thanks, I'll try to add support for that mod when I have time ;)

No, don't do that. The Thegn's bonus is perfectly fine the way it is. I was only pointing out that it's a lot more useful for land battles and mobile firebases rather than besieging cities, which I assumed was the point. It shouldn't be able to do everything, after all. =]

No, don't do that. The Thegn's bonus is perfectly fine the way it is. I was only pointing out that it's a lot more useful for land battles and mobile firebases rather than besieging cities, which I assumed was the point. It shouldn't be able to do everything, after all. =]

I should at least change the text of the Thegn :p It wasn't really meant to be a conquest civ, although it's probably an effective conquest civ nonetheless!

Hey, that's whatcha get when you design a militaristic Civ with a UU built around you going on the offensive. If it applied to Siege units, it'd be too good. =]

Also, I have Modern Armour that does this now. My tanks are indeed fight, and they render everything else fight too, especially since the bonus stacks with the Elite Forces tenet from Autocracy. Bazookas, man. What they do to the opposition just starts being cruel after a while. =]

Northumbria was a nice touch, buddy. Really enjoyed it. I think Algeria was awesome too actually! XD I thought with Algeria you were going to start on North Africa - thought about Libya?

Thanks :) i dont have a lot of time anymore, so nothing is gonna happen anytime soon :p

That's fair enough, works really full on atm so I've not been around :( Love what you've done while I've been occupied though, bud!

I think that the download link for the Seljuqs still links to the old version before the art update :/.

Really? Must be something weird going on with mediafire :/ Ill try to fix it later, thanks!

Started a new game with a re-downloaded Northumbria; the opening diplo line still isn't there.

Top Bottom