[BtS]40 civs-allows colonies AND 34 civs

New update out from Solver.
How hard is it to, recompile I guess, your dll with his changes? In other words, how long might it be until you have an updated 40civ out :)

New update out from Solver.
How hard is it to, recompile I guess, your dll with his changes? In other words, how long might it be until you have an updated 40civ out :)

Thanks for the update. It takes about 15 minutes to update the files and test them after I read your post. Which means right about... now!
http://rapidshare.com/files/52123545/40CivsV31.rar.html

Updated, tested, and from the future again!
Solver's compile time: 6:29PM
My compile time with Solver's changes: 2:30PM
If I compile the changes first, does that technically make them my changes? ;)

Thanks for the update. It takes about 15 minutes to update the files and test them after I read your post. Which means right about... now!
http://rapidshare.com/files/52123545/40CivsV31.rar.html

Updated, tested, and from the future again!
Solver's compile time: 6:29PM
My compile time with Solver's changes: 2:30PM
If I compile the changes first, does that technically make them my changes? ;)

Excellent :)
Only modified the dll right? I.e, I dont have to update/replace globalassets.xml .

Yes Lt. Bob, is like you said!!! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
I add a 32th civ, rename all the leaders with 3-letter name like JUL - MAO - LIN ecc... and i GOT THE MAP WORKS with 32 civs! So the problem was what you think! As you said I don't know if someone KNOW HOW to fix this, but i hope that someone will soon do that!

Speaking abou my map, if you are interested in earth maps games just take a look... You will like FOR SURE!!! my MOD!!!!

The thread is Earth 30 civs and 3 new resources BTS in pre-made maps and the MOD with the map is there:
You can also leave "LeaderType=" and "LeaderName=" blank. Launch the map from custom scenarios, choose civ and leadernames. Then you will have the map running with leadernames. Another issue is if you have changed starting positions. You have to seach up all "new" settlers, and change x/y cordinates for each civilization. The "new" settlers have the correct coordinates. Otherwise the starting positions will remain the same, as it was first time the map was generated by the game.

Not really. The map size, the total number of cities, amounts of units, counts more than the number of civs. When that happens, the game takes forever to load, and you may run into memory trouble.

I'm just trying to figure out the rules that govern that bug.

The following results I could verify yet:

With 33 civs you've got 221 slots
With 34 civs you've got 210 slots
With 35 civs you've got 199 slots
With 36 civs you've got 188 slots
With 37 civs you've got 177 slots
With 40 civs you've got 144 slots

So as a generell rule you can assume that you have:

584 - 11 x Civ_Number slots free.

So with the standard 18 civs thats 386 letters, or more then 21 for each leader name. Once you cross the 30 civ line you are down to 254 signs, or a bit more then 8 each. Which is by far not enough knowing that most names have at least 7 letters.

The natural "border" would be 48 civs, where you've got 56 signs left. Barely enough for a 1 letter per leader assignment.

So what to do with this info? Well, the formula

Name_length= (584 / Civ_Number) - 11

will give you a close approximation to the maximum average length of signs you can use for leader names.

And as an easy to use service:

18 civs: 386 summa or ~21 each
24 civs: 320 summa or ~13 each
30 civs: 254 summa or ~8 each
34 civs: 210 summa or ~6 each
40 civs: 144 summa or ~3 each
48 civs: 56 summa or ~1 each

PS: please remember that the leaders of colonies have names to. I couldn't test yet, if the release of a colony and thus a new name, will take up slots in this name space also. If this should be the case, you could be in for some bad news late in a game that gets too close to the above numbers.
Also there are some glitches to this formula (I got rather weird results for 32 civs frex).

Thanks for the info Bastian-Bux, that's cool that you looked into it.

I don't think that the colonies will cause a problem though because they're formed later in the game. I normally play 34 civ games generated with mapscripts and have no issues with the full player names even when I get late game with colonies forming. The problem only seems to appear on the launch of custom worldbuilder scenarios. Playing the game itself doesn't seem to have any issues whatsoever.

jpinard: Like dragon said, numbers of units and cities is what really slows down the game. Hence bigger maps = slower turns. I have no issues of slowdown whatsoever on my machine, which I'll admit is fairly beefy (a core 2 duo with 2gigs of ram). But the turns didn't seem slower on my brother's older AMD 2800+ when I tried it on his computer over the weekend.

I love how I can play 34 Civs at once!
This, the Extra mod, tectonics Map script and gigantic Map is the bomb!

This is exactly what i was looking for - thanks. Anyway whats the deal with this 'bug'. Is that only for WB saves or is it for all normal epic games with randomly generated maps and such?

Also whats the deal with adding mods. How can i merge this mod with the unit statistics mod; is it even possible?

Thanks in advance, great mod incorporating solvers changes!

EDIT: What type of file is this? I d/l it but cant open it etc. When i click on it it asks if i want to search the web for programs to open it.

This is exactly what i was looking for - thanks. Anyway whats the deal with this 'bug'. Is that only for WB saves or is it for all normal epic games with randomly generated maps and such?

The "bug" only seems to rear it's ugly head in WB saves. I regularly play on randomly generated maps with no problems whatsoever.

Also whats the deal with adding mods. How can i merge this mod with the unit statistics mod; is it even possible?

I don't know about that mod specifically but my mod consists of the CvGameCore.dll and the globaldefines.xml files. To combine it with another mod just take those files from my mod directory (40civs) and put them in their respective folders of the mod you want to combine with. **If the mod you want to combine it with already has a modified CvGameCore.dll it becomes significantly more complicated**

EDIT: What type of file is this? I d/l it but cant open it etc. When i click on it it asks if i want to search the web for programs to open it.

The file is a rar file (an alternative compressed file to zips). Download winrar and you'll be able to open it.
http://www.rarlab.com or http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar371b1.exe directly
I use rar files because they have better compression than zip files and because I think everyone should have winrar on their computer. :) I mean come on, it's free! :)

Thanks Lt. Bob for creating this mod. I just extracted the mod to my Beyond the Sword folder. What should I do next? I went to custum game, but I still couldn't get more than 18 civs. By the way, I'm also using both Solver's unofficial patch and his more random events mod. Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance

Great thanks a lot for the reply.

Now, would someone be able to point me towards a bigger map size for all these new civ slots :)

Thanks Lt. Bob for creating this mod. I just extracted the mod to my Beyond the Sword folder. What should I do next? I went to custum game, but I still couldn't get more than 18 civs. By the way, I'm also using both Solver's unofficial patch and his more random events mod. Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance

My mod contains solver's unofficial patch, but if you still want to get solver's events you'll have to do a little combining. Take the CvGameCoreDll.dll from my 40civs/assets folder and put it in the assets folder of your other mod. Then grab the globaldefines.xml from 40civs/assets/xml and put it in the assets/xml folder of your other mod.

Since you'll already have a CvGameCoreDll.dll in your mod's assets folder just overwrite it with mine since all of solver's changes are in there.

An alternative technique would be to grab solver's events seperatly from here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=234527 , take the assets folder from that zip and dump it in my 40civs folder, no overwritting required. :)

If you have any more questions just post them here. I check back fairly often.

I have been trying to use your 40 civ dll with the Earthworld map by CivKing.

His map has 18 starting civs, but that leaves no room for colonies, thus I need your dll.

I went into the map and added

BeginTeam
TeamID=18
ContactWithTeam=18
RevealMap=0
EndTeam

BeginPlayer
Team=18
LeaderType=NONE
CivType=NONE
Color=NONE
ArtStyle=NONE
Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
EndPlayer

for teams and players 18 - 39. The map still plays without your mod, but when I try your dll, either with your mod, or Varietas Delectat or Diversica, it loads, and I get the opening Dawn of Man pop-up, when I press okay to start the game, it says "You have been defeated."

Is there a simple way to make this map work with your 40 civ dll?

Conqueror Worm: I nailed down your problem - CivKing's map doesn't contain StartingX or StartingY values for any of the civs even though they have settler units placed on tiles farther down in the WB save. I took the locations from the settler units and created StartingX/Y with those values for each civ and it worked (except for ragnar, he didn't have any units strangly enough so he still gets the defeated message).

I also moved all the barbarian units to team 40 because of the higher civ limit.

My modified version of the map is attached below, I don't think civking will mind he actually modified the Rhyes map himself.

Attachments

• EarthWorldv1-LtBobs40.zip
    38.7 KB · Views: 436
Wow, that was fast. And yes, I too did realize that there were no starting positions x and y on the map, but my expertise is severly limited, and so I just thought I would wait for more insight. Didn't imagine it would come so swiftly though. So I guess that as it stands, I can play any civs but the Vikings, but the Vikings will still be in the game, is that right?

Anyway, will find out soon enough for myself. I will post a note to CivKing about your work.

Thanks again!

Lt. Bob,

Just one more question, if you don't mind. Do you think Gedmon's Composite XL mod would still work if I replace his dll with yours?

Thanks again for the help with the CivKing map. Cheers!

Lt. Bob,

Just one more question, if you don't mind. Do you think Gedmon's Composite XL mod would still work if I replace his dll with yours?

Thanks again for the help with the CivKing map. Cheers!

I just took a quick look at the Composite XL thread and I think that all he uses the dll for is for Solver's changes so you should have no problems using my dll instead. A quick note though: my mod requires a modification to the globaldefines.xml file which I have noted in the readme. You'll have to add
Code:
<Define>
<DefineName>GOVERNED_COLONY_MULTIPLYER</DefineName>
<fDefineFloatVal>0.667</fDefineFloatVal>
</Define>
to your globaldefines.xml if you want to combine it with the composite xl mod. If you don't the game will still work but a governed colony won't have any colony costs.

On the viking question I'm not really sure. I made sure that the game launched with the wbsave I posted here but I didn't look to see if the vikings were in the game.

Top Bottom