Things in Civilization IV which should be corrected, because they don't make sense

Do you think at least one thing should be corrected in Civilization IV?

• Yes, I think there are things that should be corrected.

Votes: 99 83.9%
  • No, everything is just fine.

Votes: 19 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pikkis

Prince
I don't think this suits in any thread I've found, so I decided to make a new one. This thread is for listing things that should be corrected in BTS or in its patches. I start with a couple of them.

1. Late-coming wonders don't have realistic requirements.
- Broadway only needs Electricity, while it should also require Drama and Music
- Rock 'n' Roll only needs Radio, while it should also require Music
- Hollywood only needs Mass Media, while it should also require Drama, and maybe Music

2. Fascism needs Nationalism and Assembly Line, though Assembly Line already needs Nationalism through Corporation and Constitution
- It may be so because it shows the evolution of the ideology behind them, but I still think that it should need only Assembly Line, or then Assembly Line and Military Tradition.

Maybe there has been a thread of them before or they have been noticed in the "forbidden" thread, but I still thought they deserve their own thread.

assembly line should be after industrialization. the latter came with the advent of the Industrial Revolution, c. 1800, and the former came around 1900.

The Praetorian should be called the Legionary.
The Navy SEAL should be renamed to U.S. Marine.
England should be renamed to Britain.

While we're on that subject, what's the deal with the U.N. requiring Mass Media, or the Pentagon needing Assembly Line? They don't fit at all.

oh, and...

the leaderheads for QSH and Kublai should be switched. (unless they were already?)

personally i don't think barbarians should be implemented the way they are, or even at all. it stretches the suspension of disbelief quite a bit to have washington wiped out in 3000 BC (quite a stretch to begin with) by barbs.

this is a game, it's not supposed to make sense. it is supposed to be entertaining, something i guess all of us can agree upon that it is. when i play games (if not on those rare occasions when i throw a "omfg that is so overpowered" tantrum, but those are very rare and seldom if ever public) i tend to go about it the same way as my first viewing of fellowship of the ring went. for the first 15 minutes (after having been properly amazed by the intro) i kept thinking how great the illusions of hobbit size were. by the time the fellowship went to moria and encountered the first troll i did not think "geez, amazing cgi there with that troll", my sentiments were "jesus christ! they have a cave troll!" if i remember correctly.

of course it is fun to talk about games while you cannot play them, it is a testament to the power of gaming and our enjoyment of them that we do. but when you sit down in that chair and fire up that program it should be about enjoying yourself, why else do it? people cried in theaters in past ages, not so much now, when tragedy struck. they knew it was all make-belief but they were willing to let themselves be drawn into the ficticious world they were offered. the first king kong movie of the 30's dazzled viewers. now we look at the first star trek or star wars movies and wonder how people ever bought that stuff the first time around.

our mode of story-telling is -most of the times for some, less so for others- gaming. accept the premises of the game and enjoy yourself, if that doesn't work out mod the game, find another one or adjust the intake.

sorry that this turned into a sermon. i allways suspend my disbelief during action movies when gunshot wounds are treated as mere nuiscances, of course the bullet came right out and it was like sticking slightly wider needle through your shoulder.... still enjoy them though :>

Helicopters should either come with the amphibious promotion automatically, or have it effectively. It just makes no sense that they be penalized for attacking across a river.

Good points, Pikkis. I never realized you could build Rock 'n' Roll without music!

Pentagon requiring Assembly Line probably is because historically it came after the advent of said Line, and because it was built in a very short time that would have been difficult to achieve without the Assembly Line technology. But there's no technological reason I can think of it couldn't have been built before the Assembly Line.

I don't think this suits in any thread I've found, so I decided to make a new one. This thread is for listing things that should be corrected in BTS or in its patches. I start with a couple of them.

- Hollywood only needs Mass Media, while it should also require Drama, and maybe Music

:lol: So true, I never noticed this because I haven't ever gotten to those late Wonders without discovering the earlier cultural techs, but it definitely makes no sense that Rock 'n' Roll does not require Music! The other ones make no sense either and I would like to see Firaxis change them. Good eye :goodjob:

Helicopters should either come with the amphibious promotion automatically, or have it effectively. It just makes no sense that they be penalized for attacking across a river.

I suppose you never had a bunch of amphibious gunships attacking your tanks from the sea? VERY overpowered.

assembly line should be after industrialization. the latter came with the advent of the Industrial Revolution, c. 1800, and the former came around 1900.

Good point too. The Industrial Revolution introduced factories and industrial labor, but Henry Ford introduced the Assembly Line in the early twentieth century. The Assembly Line would not be possible without Industrialization because it would be impossible to mass produce commodities without factories! :lol I mean, someone could perhaps argue there was some sort of feudal assembly line, but it really would not be the same form of mass production that Henry Ford designed.

Vikings needs to be renamed to Scandinavia
HRE is dead in my corrections...
Native Americans are split up.
Poland is added.
Salt is a resource.

And many more.

Vietnam as a civ.

:joke:

The list of things that need corrected for BTS is almost endless, but this thread is pointless since BTS has already been made.

not necessarily. big additions, maybe not. but they can do small changes, especially maybe small graphics or interface changes.

The no requirement of Drama for Hollywood and Brodway is a terrible mistake for me! Firaxis should fix them!

I suppose you never had a bunch of amphibious gunships attacking your tanks from the sea? VERY overpowered.

Thanks.

No, I haven't. I've never tried multi-player, and I'm partial to navies, so I usually have subs in the straits and a destroyer screen to detect if not intercept those sorry A.I. invasions. It's an old Civ III habit, and usually unnescessary, but it's fun.

Since I respect your opinion, I'll take your word for it. With an amphib assault I can use fighters instead. It's the river crossing penalty that I find particularly annoying.

The Praetorian should be called the Legionary.
The Navy SEAL should be renamed to U.S. Marine.
Agreed! :goodjob:

England should be renamed to Britain.
RUBBISH.

or the Pentagon needing Assembly Line? They don't fit at all.

The Pentagon obviously requires only Mysticism, since it's sole purpose is to act a spooky demon-totem that summons the power of the War Gods down from the heavens. Hence the +2 experience (ok, so the war gods weren't that amazing, but nevertheless)

Top Bottom