Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

You can use all civs and the turn limit is increased.

Same size map. Now that I think about it the actual game isn't that much better that the demo.:(

The Blitzkrieg scenario is accessed from the 'single player' menu, under scenarios. All units train and move faster, and I think that all nations are in a permanant state of war. Sounds fun. :D

I still don't understand.

Why don't I use it permanently then. What are the adverse effects?

You can use all civs and the turn limit is increased.

Same size map. Now that I think about it the actual game isn't that much better that the demo.:(
The real game is very close to the demo. On the other hand, I played the heck out of the demo and had a lot of fun doing it. Key reasons why the real game is much better: (1) playing on only Chieftan and Warlord gets old fast, (2) playing the same map over and over gets old fast (they were kind enough to rotate the demo maps for us once a week, but apparently there are only four maps in the rotation), (3) access to the full tech tree makes for a more complete experience, (4) bells and whistles -- XBox achievements, the Hall of Glory, Game of the Week, fun animated sequences (I like watching space shuttles boost my space ship components into orbit, and it was fun tracking the nuke as it took down my one major opponents capital city).

The Blitzkrieg scenario is accessed from the 'single player' menu, under scenarios. All units train and move faster, and I think that all nations are in a permanant state of war. Sounds fun. :D

I still don't understand.

Why don't I use it permanently then. What are the adverse effects?

It's just a different way to play the game with some different rules. Think of it as a different game variant of a board or card game -- similar to playing seven card stud vs. draw poker for example.

That still doesn't shed much light on the subject, do the changes effect the opposing civs as well?

Yes. All civs get the benefits of the game. Like in the Age of Imperialism one, all civs start with three cities.

what about a spy stoping production does that count as anarchy
No, anarchy only happens when you switch government via the "Change Government" option. Note that if you switch government immeditely when you discover a government tech, there is no anarchy penalty.

I don't get it. When I get into a fight, I don't always win when the game says I have an advantage. Just a minute ago I was attacking a German unit with a defensive strenght of 12. When I compared it to my own attackstrenght of 34 I was sure I was going to win. But..... I lost :confused:
Why?

I don't get it. When I get into a fight, I don't always win when the game says I have an advantage. Just a minute ago I was attacking a German unit with a defensive strenght of 12. When I compared it to my own attackstrenght of 34 I was sure I was going to win. But..... I lost :confused:
Why?

Because there always is an element of luck and the player with the higher figures aren't always the one who actually wins the fight.

Because there always is an element of luck and the player with the higher figures aren't always the one who actually wins the fight.

Been playing for some hours now and found myself losing most of the time in forementioned situations. My luck just ran out?

Been playing for some hours now and found myself losing most of the time in forementioned situations. My luck just ran out?

Sounds strange but maybe that's the case.;)

btw, I've got a question of my own. If you "use up" a great person to i.e. convert a city to your own and don't settle them in your cities, doesn't they count in as a great person towards the cultural victory?

Depends on how many combats you've been in. You should lose some 34 to 12 combats. It's not clear what 34 vs. 12 actually translates to in the computer code (and AFAIK it's not in the manual and no one has worked out the combat formulas yet). It might end up meaning 34/46 times you win, 12/46 times you lose which means you would lose almost a quarter of the time. From my experience playing about a dozen or more CivRev games, I think 3:1 odds actually translates into better than 75% success rate, but it's nowhere near 100%, so yeah, you should expect to lose some even with a 34 to 12 attack.

When you say "found myself losing most of the time in forementioned situations" do you mean that most of the time you go in 34 to 12 you lose, or do you mean on those rare occasions when you lose you think the odds are pretty good, like say around 34 to 12 (but most of the time you win at 34 to 12).

Depends on how many combats you've been in. You should lose some 34 to 12 combats. It's not clear what 34 vs. 12 actually translates to in the computer code (and AFAIK it's not in the manual and no one has worked out the combat formulas yet). It might end up meaning 34/46 times you win, 12/46 times you lose which means you would lose almost a quarter of the time. From my experience playing about a dozen or more CivRev games, I think 3:1 odds actually translates into better than 75% success rate, but it's nowhere near 100%, so yeah, you should expect to lose some even with a 34 to 12 attack.

When you say "found myself losing most of the time in forementioned situations" do you mean that most of the time you go in 34 to 12 you lose, or do you mean on those rare occasions when you lose you think the odds are pretty good, like say around 34 to 12 (but most of the time you win at 34 to 12).

I have had this happen to me as well in the demo. (Can't wait to pick the full game up tomorrow!) I thought I read somewhere that combat was influenced by what type of enemy you were fighting (i.e. ranged, hand to hand combat, mounted troops, flying, etc.) For instance, I had a Knight Army vs an Archer army at like 28 to 15 (or thereabouts) and I got beat pretty badly. I have rarely ever lost a horseman vs. Ground troops battle. Again, I'm not sure if those things really play a factor, but they might.

That is why I always get Catapults as quickly as possible since they put the hurt on in a big way.

What I mean is that I often (more often than you should think by chance) lose when I'm supposed to have a stronger army. When for instance my battleship, given strength 18, fights a cruiser, given strength 9, I lose most of the time....

Sounds strange but maybe that's the case.;)

btw, I've got a question of my own. If you "use up" a great person to i.e. convert a city to your own and don't settle them in your cities, doesn't they count in as a great person towards the cultural victory?

If a great person is used to flip a city or to build a wonder it still counts toward cultural victory, as both events (city flip and wonder creation) count toward cultural victory.

Top Bottom