Where did my Parthenon bonus go?

Crdnl Richelieu

Warlord
When G+K first came out, I was wondering why all my cities didn't enjoy the bonus from it. I learned (I think!) that the cities need to be in place BEFORE I create the Parthenon. I say "I think", because I've built cities after the parthenon that have the wee "electricity spark" icon and take advantage of the bonus.

However, more annoyingly, I set up 2 cities, found my parthenon and choose the bonus that is best for both cities combined. Then next time I look, the bonus has disappeared from the 2nd city. Why is this? Is it anything to do with a rival religion taking hold in the city instead?

If you have not founded a religion - every new city you build will follow your pantheon automatically. As soon as you found a religion - every new city will have no followers of any kind.

If your religion spreads it can split the followers of a city to cause a situation where no bonus happens at all. (2 followers of your pantheon - 2 of your religion - and no bonus either way due to no majority).

Same thing can happen with enemy religions. Also when another religion other than yours spreads to your cities you get the effects of that religion's pantheon in those cities rather than the pantheon you founded.

Thanks for that Gucumatz.

So in the situation where I'm late to get a religion, I might be better off not getting one and using faith to purchase inquisitors to remove the enemy religion from my other cities (assuming the bonus from my own parthenon is better than that I could get from the other religion) ?

ETA: I knew I should have paid more attention in church.

Pantheon = A word all-god-encompassing belief. Also, this wee little house in Rome:

Parthenon = A word meaning "the room/temple of virgins" but otherwise solely used as a name for an old beat-up shack in athens that looks like so:

Thanks for that Gucumatz.

So in the situation where I'm late to get a religion, I might be better off not getting one and using faith to purchase inquisitors to remove the enemy religion from my other cities (assuming the bonus from my own parthenon is better than that I could get from the other religion) ?

ETA: I knew I should have paid more attention in church.

Not sure on this myself, i don't think you're able to purchase inquisitors unless you yourself have founded and expanded your own religion.

In regards to removing other's religions from your city, i don't think it's necessary or even useful. If your city starts following a certain religion, make sure to be aware of what bonuses are included in it. Usually, they will grant bonuses to the "owning" player which you should be aware of, but it can also grant bonuses for you. Be careful though, for example "Just War" can be devastating if it's the "true believers" of that religion liberating your city.

Not sure on this myself, i don't think you're able to purchase inquisitors unless you yourself have founded and expanded your own religion.

In regards to removing other's religions from your city, i don't think it's necessary or even useful. If your city starts following a certain religion, make sure to be aware of what bonuses are included in it. Usually, they will grant bonuses to the "owning" player which you should be aware of, but it can also grant bonuses for you. Be careful though, for example "Just War" can be devastating if it's the "true believers" of that religion liberating your city.

Hmm. As a proof-reader, I should really have picked up on the difference between a parthenon and a pantheon :)

I see your point, but in a recent game, my pathogen bonus disappeared to replaced by a religion which offer the follower belief "+2 happiness with gardens"... utterly useless in a city nowhere near water. So I'd like to be able to get back my panther bonus if at all possible.

Your proton does not spread, so, once an enemy religion starts converting citizens, your micron will eventually die out unless you were one to found a religion and keep your crouton.

.. sorry, I just wanted to belong D:.

Your pathogen bonus doesn't spread?

Well I would love to see a disease mechanic in Civ 5 adding more positive vs negative decisions - but that Expansion hasn't came out yet :p.

If you already have more than a copy of Civ 5 :: Guns, Germs, and Steel - Please send me one :)

Top Bottom