Alternative Timelines

Now that multimaps are at least possible, maybe you can have it so that a small fraction of games will have a somewhat habitable Mars with it's own, alien civilization(s) (ala John Carter)
Also, awesome mod!

I was thinking of going with H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" but there are no graphics for the aliens. No graphics is always the draw back:sad:.

It's funny you say that, because there's a mod called the "Futuremod" that actually has a (low poly) model of the tripod that is based off of the front half of the elephant (so uses the animation) I can post a screenshot if you want...

I was thinking, since now most alt timeline stuff is locked behind a special resource (IE Steampunk units require the Steampunk resource which is only obtainable by the Steampunk wonder) would it be possible to have some units/buildings be buildable by two separate -punks where appropriate through the Or clause of resource requirements? I ask this because while giant mega-airships work well as early Dieselpunk units, they work equally well as late Steampunk units. Similarly the Clockwork Golem, with some tweaking, is a fine late Clockpunk infantry it is a decent idea for an early Steampunk infantry. And jetpack soliders (which I'm contemplating as we speak) truly belong both to Dieselpunk (just look at that the movie The Rocketeer) AND Atompunk. I'm sure there are other areas of possible overlap...that train based artillery perhaps...that would really help free up options for the various -punk ages while still providing enough unique attributes to each age to make them stand out.

------

Post your alternative timeline ideas in this thread.

Here are some old posts I hd on the subject ...

"Punk" Types ...

- Prehistoric Era = Stonepunk
- Ancient Era = ?
- Classical Era = ?
- Medieval Era = Cogpunk
- Renaissance Era = Clockpunk
- Industrial Era = Steampunk
- Modern Era = Dieselpunk
- Trans-Human Era = Cyberpunk / Biopunk / Nanopunk
- Galactic Eras = ?

Maybe this can be the description for this eras..
AncientEra = Horsepunk (Requires Horses) OR SwordPunk (Requires Bronze)
ClassicalEra = IronPunk (Requires Iron) OR MythPunk (Requires Ancient Relics)

It matches the current theme of the biggest inventions/ discovery of the time.

Here is how the Eras are divided in the PC Game Empire Earth 2 (similar to Age of Empires)

Empire Earth 2

Stone
(Epoch 1, 10,000 - 5000 BC)
During the Stone Age, humans had begun to make rudimentary tools and organized themselves into communities.

Copper
(Epoch 2, 5000 - 2500 BC)
The Copper age witnessed the birth of metal-working. New tools were created, increasing the efficiency of farming, and small communities grew into cities. New weapons were forged, too, bringing new advances to warfare.

Bronze
(Epoch 3, 2500 - 1000 BC)
The Bronze Age is a turning point in the history of civilization. Urbanization gains a foothold, and literacy spreads.

Iron
(Epoch 4, 1000 BC - 400 AD)
Powerful cultures overtake others in the Iron age as empire-building begins. With cities firmly established and labor clearly divided, many people find themselves with more leisure time, leading to advances across civilizations.

Dark
(Epoch 5, 400 - 800 AD)
With the fall of mighty empires, Europe finds itself in a period of stagnation. Much of the rest of the world, however, continues to advance.

Middle
(Epoch 6, 800 - 1300 AD)
Europe rebounds, and feudalism spreads. Weapons become more advanced, and adventurers set out on the open seas, discovering new trade routes.

Renaissance
(Epoch 7, 1300 - 1500 AD)
Gunpowder revolutionizes the military, and its impact reverberates among civilization in general. Because a commoner could obtain these powerful and easy-to-use weapons relatively cheaply, the old feudal structure cannot stand.

Imperial
(Epoch 8, 1500 - 1650 AD)
With cannons causing widespread damage, civilizations go to war against others, and powerful civilizations vie to claim parcels of the New World.

Enlightenment
(Epoch 9, 1650 - 1800 AD)
Advances in shipbuilding give rise to capitalism, and as education spreads to the masses, Republicanism rises.

Industrial
(Epoch 10, 1800 - 1900 AD)
New inventions explode on the scene, changing the way people make their living. The steam engine is invented, and people leave the farm to work in factories.

Modern
(Epoch 11, 1900 - 1940 AD)
The quick advances of the Industrial Age are brought to bear in the Modern Age. Mass production is perfected, and a bevy of new technology rolls off the assembly line. Among the new technology produced are planes, tanks and massive warships, introducing a new, much larger scale to warfare. People begin to stand up for their rights during the Modern Age, leading to social reform.

Atomic
(Epoch 12, 1940 - 1980 AD)
Technology gets smaller during the Atomic Age, as research on the molecular level leads to miniaturization. Molecular research also leads to one of the most fearsome weapons of all time, the nuclear bomb.

Digital
(Epoch 13, 1980 - 2030 AD)
Advances in computer technology leads to fast analysis, speeding the pace of invention. Computers also find a place in the home, opening new communication gateways and a new method of obtaining information.

Genetic
(Epoch 14, 2030 - 2130 AD)
Advances in genetic research leads to the cure of diseases that were once thought incurable. But, these advances also lead to gene manipulation to create designer people. Robotics reach new heights, as new machines take care of everything from housework to bomb diffusion.

Synthetic
(Epoch 15, 2130 - 2230 AD)
Genetic engineering, computers and robotics intersect to produce actual artificial intelligence. Robots are able to reason and learn without any human input at all, and they can become anything - even soldiers. Wars become intense as cultures send robots to the frontlines, keeping humans safe at home.

I can post a screenshot if you want...

Of course you want a screenie, why would I even ask something like that?
Anyways, two pictures and the file that has the graphics. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Tripod.7z
    352.2 KB · Views: 31
In the current SVN in MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml all of the alternative timelines are turned on (value 1) by default, except sabertooth. Why is this?

Sorry if this is explained elsewhere in this thread, I just returned to C2C recently and haven´t read all of it.

In the current SVN in MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml all of the alternative timelines are turned on (value 1) by default, except sabertooth. Why is this?

Sorry if this is explained elsewhere in this thread, I just returned to C2C recently and haven´t read all of it.

Probably because the graphic for the sabretooth looks nothing like the real animal. Although it may just be an oversight/bug.

How exactly does one activate an alternate era, and how does one tell? I started a golden age in the ancient or classical age (can't quite remember, was a week ago) and nothing appeared to happen. I was expecting new techs to be introduced and such.

How exactly does one activate an alternate era, and how does one tell? I started a golden age in the ancient or classical age (can't quite remember, was a week ago) and nothing appeared to happen. I was expecting new techs to be introduced and such.

Once the mod loads the tech screen is static. So most of the alternate time line stuff is already on the tech tree just in a branch that you do not need to study to get to the galactic era. Megafauna alternates depend on you capturing the correct unit and using it to build the correct building, usually a myth building.

Activating or deactivating an alternate timeline has to be done before you start a game. It is done by editing the MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml file in the Assets/Modules/Alt_Timelines folder.

There are currently only 3 alt-timelines that work; Megafauna Domestication, Clockpunk and Steampunk. To get them you must research the techs of the same name. In the case of Clockpunk and Steampunk you must build their wonders to gain access to their culture.

Megafauna Domestication has a variety of wonders such as Mammoth Trainer, Zebra Trainer, Bear Trainer, Giraffe Trainer, and so on. These can be built once you either have a Huntng Camp or Herd building nearby. Such as the Mammoth Trainer requires you either have Mammoth Hunter's Camp (req mammoth resource nearby) or a Herd - Mammoth (req a subdued a mammoth to build).

Hm... could it be branched off a system similar to how religions/corporations work? or is there no new way to add things similar to them? I think the punks should spread from a central point giving everyone near by access to them (As it wouldn't make since that when your neighbor is running steam tanks at you you would not try to copy/innovate) How ever on that token I think if it is available to multiple people it should have a downfall, like -sci until a specific point where the punk would merge with the normal timeline. For instance, steam punk would merge after the discovery of oil most likely.

@Rasma

The "punk" stuff is treated like a culture. Like the culture units they upgrade into more advanced units. For instance the Steam Tanks eventually upgrade into Modern Tanks, just like how Early Tanks do.

Same goes for say the exotic megafauna mounts which eventually upgrade into things like Armored Cars, Tanks and/or Helicopters. Some even have their own upgrade lineage such as Mammoth Riders, Knights, Ballistas and Bombards.

BUMP
edited (1-30-2013)

shouldn't we keep a list of those Alternative Timelines / Era threads here?:

Domesticated Megafauna mini alt history development thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=442990

Sandalpunk

Clockpunk mini alt history development thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=442979

Steampunk

Dieselpunk Alt History Brainstorming Thread (just started by Hydromancerx)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=454544

Cybertech/Cyberpunk Alt History Brainstorming Thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=443227

Retro Space/Retro Future age (Atompunk)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=443151

Spacepunk started by (just started by Intlidave)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=487107

Dark Ages

Post-Apocalyptic

Science Fiction Era Thread (just started by me :)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=486071

Dimensional Era

Luminal Age

Dinosaurs in the Future(Jurassic Park, East of Eden(Harry Harrison)

Noir

Mutants - Gamma World

Fantasy

Wild West (Wild Wild West, Brisco County Junior(TV shows, movies) maybe, Boot Hill Roleplaying game.

Swashbuckling -Pirates (could use Sid Meiers Pirates game as inspiration, Seven Cities of Gold (exploration precursor to Colonization), Age of Sail, The Three Musketeers, Robinson Crusoe, The Count of Monty Cristo (books, tv shows, movies)

Alternate Earths.

Famous genres, tv shows, movies,
Imagine playing an alternate era that is just Star Trek, or favorite alternate world Game of Thrones, Lotr, etc.

etc,

Ongoing discussion would be nice so we capture ideas when we think of them, and so that we can work them out over time. Sometimes it is better to keep talking about these things instead of getting around to it, so that potential problems and obstacles have time to be discussed and solved.

(I need to fill in all the links here, as well as other mods, and discussions on the internet. Feel free to post your own here.)

I'd also like to add Spacepunk into the mix.
Although you probably could shoehorn its content into late Atompunk/early Cyberpunk if you really wanted to.

Top Bottom