Keshik upgrade promotions? Ranged to melee?

Jacozilla

Warlord
Haven't played much Mongolia and rolled current game using them - question re upgrade path for Keshiks with BNW - do they still have that odd ranged accuracy 1/2/3 promotion path being wasted after upgrading to Calvary?

Or do they convert those into melee shock 1/2/3?

I suppose ill know in a bit when I tech up but wondering if anyone knows. I could have sworn I read a post here awhile back saying they fixed that but couldn't find they post via search.

The keshiks most likely keep the same promotion upon upgrade regardless of the cavalry being a melee and not a ranged.

Yes, they keep the ranged promotions. I try and build a couple Horsemen and promote them against barbarians, then upgrade them to Keshiks. Take all the promotions that will be relevant later like cover, march, and medic. Then you can upgrade happily later.

Any extra Keshiks I build I'll disband and start with fresh Cavalry so i can earn relevant promotions again.

Although the keeping completely useless promotions does bother me a little, Keshiks are so strong anyway that I can't say I mind too much.

Well, answering my own question - it does indeed appear the ranged promotions are not useless and convert to melee strength dmg after upgrading to Calvary.

On the icons it will still say ranged accuracy 1/2/3 promos, but when you actually attack a unit and hover over it, the displayed strength calculations and damage computed will take your ranged accuracy 1/2/3 promos into account.

For example - my keshik with open terrain ranged accuracy 3 and himeji castle lined up in flank position with another keshik shows I'm getting the total strength bonuses of: +45% open terrain, +15% friendly territory, and +15% flanking. The total strength calculated looks to take all these bonuses into account.

I'm not 100% sure whether this is just a visual display thing and that when I actually do melee attack the strength is less. Maybe it's just showing it when I mouse over an enemy unit but not using that ranged strength in attack.

But the strength and approx dmg values shown look right and does take into account the prior ranged promos earned.

Now what's interesting as I further level up is that shock 1 was offered to my keshik with already ranged accuracy 3. I took march instead but in awhile I'm going to take shock 1 and see if I get that stacked on top. E.g. Will my bonus now be 45 + 15 from the ranged accuracy 3 + shock 1.

I can't test right now whether the dmg done is actually more or not becaus all my Keshiks have ranged 3 as upgraded Calvary. What I'd like to do is take a keshik with just ranged 1, upgrade to Calvary, and see if it hits with lower total strength and dmg than a keshik upgraded tp Calvary with ranged 3. The displayed computed values will show one as stronger than the other, but I'd like to actually see by the dmg done to two identical enemy units whether the ranged 3 upgraded keshik actually does hit harder.

Well, answering my own question - it does indeed appear the ranged promotions are not useless and convert to melee strength dmg after upgrading to Calvary.

On the icons it will still say ranged accuracy 1/2/3 promos, but when you actually attack a unit and hover over it, the displayed strength calculations and damage computed will take your ranged accuracy 1/2/3 promos into account.

For example - my keshik with open terrain ranged accuracy 3 and himeji castle lined up in flank position with another keshik shows I'm getting the total strength bonuses of: +45% open terrain, +15% friendly territory, and +15% flanking. The total strength calculated looks to take all these bonuses into account.

I'm not 100% sure whether this is just a visual display thing and that when I actually do melee attack the strength is less. Maybe it's just showing it when I mouse over an enemy unit but not using that ranged strength in attack.

But the strength and approx dmg values shown look right and does take into account the prior ranged promos earned.

Now what's interesting as I further level up is that shock 1 was offered to my keshik with already ranged accuracy 3. I took march instead but in awhile I'm going to take shock 1 and see if I get that stacked on top. E.g. Will my bonus now be 45 + 15 from the ranged accuracy 3 + shock 1.

I can't test right now whether the dmg done is actually more or not becaus all my Keshiks have ranged 3 as upgraded Calvary. What I'd like to do is take a keshik with just ranged 1, upgrade to Calvary, and see if it hits with lower total strength and dmg than a keshik upgraded tp Calvary with ranged 3. The displayed computed values will show one as stronger than the other, but I'd like to actually see by the dmg done to two identical enemy units whether the ranged 3 upgraded keshik actually does hit harder.

Now this would be great news for the huns !

Unfortunately that's not how it actually goes,yes the open terrain range bonus does show up in the combat preview,but sadly it is not taken into account,as you can tell from the combat strength in the preview,your 34 base CS cavalry plus 20%flanking plus 30% shock 2 plus 45% accuracy 3 will give you an adjusted strength of 34*150%=51,ignoring accuracy 3.

Not sure i understand. Are you saying the displayed value is right but not taken into account? Or the displayed value for strength doesn't use the +45 from ranged 1/2/3?

When I mouse over, it looks like the base 34 got increased by the right amount.

If the former promos are really useless though, thoughts on is it worth keeping the keshik-Calvary with march and logistics because they still retain their 50% faster xp ability - and re-earn the attack promos 1/2/3? (Even though each new rank takes lot more xp)

Or - faster to scrap them and rebuild new Calvary which likely would start with at least two or three attack promos from armory/academy, and re-earn march and logistics?
*assuming build time is not a factor

I seem to remember my Arabian Giant Death Robots getting both the range and melee Open ground damage upgrades.

I think the best possible solution for this and situations alike is:
*Give the possibility to retrain melee units with ranged promotions or vice versa for a certain amount of gold (way lower than upgrading a unit). Retraining will remove the promotions which are intended for the other type of units and you will be able to choose new promotions instead. Or remove all promotions and choose new ones instead of the old ones.

While Ranged/Melee based promotions do appear in the Combat Preview they do not actually add to Effective Strength of the unit (unless this has been changed recently). I tested this thoroughly while trying to figure out what to do with mounted units since they mix range/melee class units (Chariot Archer to Knight even without UUs).

I think the best possible solution for this and situations alike is:
*Give the possibility to retrain melee units with ranged promotions or vice versa for a certain amount of gold (way lower than upgrading a unit). Retraining will remove the promotions which are intended for the other type of units and you will be able to choose new promotions instead. Or remove all promotions and choose new ones instead of the old ones.

I went a different route with my solution and instead gave all Mounted/Armor units a different line that gives modifiers based on target class (which applies to ranged and melee CS alike - unlike Shock/Drill which will not apply to melee only and Accuracy/Drill which will apply to ranged only).

You can use mod called "Crossover Promotions". I've tried it and it works with latest patch.

It does what you asked for, it converts any ranged promotion to melee promotion when unit upgrades into one.

In case of eg. Accuracy III, Logistic Keshik, once it upgrades it would be Shock III Logistics Cavalry. Works same for other ranged to melee units. There's even a mod that changes tech upgrade for Pikes to Muskets instead of Lancers. (like current Zulu's Impi). Very useful for civs that have UU pike units like Greece, Zulu and Persia.

+1 Range promotion is of no use obviously, since Cav is melee.

Unfortunately that's not how it actually goes,yes the open terrain range bonus does show up in the combat preview,but sadly it is not taken into account,as you can tell from the combat strength in the preview,your 34 base CS cavalry plus 20%flanking plus 30% shock 2 plus 45% accuracy 3 will give you an adjusted strength of 34*150%=51,ignoring accuracy 3.

So basically Keshik range promotion is useless once it's upgraded to Calvary? Look like +1 range is also become useless after upgrade. Well I guess it's better to just keep the Keshik and only upgrade to Landship once it become available

Not sure i understand. Are you saying the displayed value is right but not taken into account? Or the displayed value for strength doesn't use the +45 from ranged 1/2/3?

When I mouse over, it looks like the base 34 got increased by the right amount.

If the former promos are really useless though, thoughts on is it worth keeping the keshik-Calvary with march and logistics because they still retain their 50% faster xp ability - and re-earn the attack promos 1/2/3? (Even though each new rank takes lot more xp)

Or - faster to scrap them and rebuild new Calvary which likely would start with at least two or three attack promos from armory/academy, and re-earn march and logistics?
*assuming build time is not a factor

No dont do that. You can still earn faster Khan and bonus 50% experience with upgraded Keshik

The goal with Mongolia is to win the game before Keshiks become obsolete. Then you don't have to worry about them getting obsolete.

Top Bottom