Age of Imperialism

Maybe one more thing... make forts yield 1 extra culture\production(or faith)..
(Also, is the Great writer boost is global, or limited to the city the improvement was established in?)
(I feel the need to post the next:))

The horn resistance
:greatwork: great works of writing give 3 XP to land units(up to 30 XP), and great writers may be expanded to temporarily boost the :c5strength: combat strength of adjacent units. +1 :c5culture: culture and :c5faith: faith from forts, +2 :c5production: production, +1 :c5faith: faith and +1 :c5culture: culture from citadels.

I thought this sounded pretty cool :v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpJ_CLymdYY
It starts around 2:30 and he starts singing around 3:20, the song ends around 9:00
I haven't watched the entire video yet, but there is more, around 11:00 for instance, they are playing with a little drum.

Here is another video of him playing, but the sound quality isn't optimal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj_Cjl2NRM0

I must say though, I have no idea what he is singing and if it is appropriate.

I haven't heard of the Dervishes much except for in Dad's Army, but they do sound interesting to play with. I feel those extra GW points are going to be needed if you have your GWs up at the front line to boost your Maara-Weyns, in case they get exposed. :p

I'm not sure if you covered this earlier in the thread, so I'll ask: do you get a lump sum of GW points when you build a Citadel? Or is it additional points per turn?

Not too good, to be honest.
I have taken a break for a while. I lost the motivation to work on it, for some reason. And this week I'll be gone skiing, (typical Norwegian Easter tradition) so not much can be done right now. Olav has had some tests recently, so we still lack some art as well. Currently I am about half-done with the code, I believe, but I haven't tested it.

I wish I could regain my once great motivation. :( Nowadays I mostly just post on civfanatics.
But I am happy to hear someone asking. :)

It's still some time - not all of the icon art is done, we still need Pedia entries (*cough* hint *cough*), E&D support (which Danmacsch has been so nice to volunteer for... if he received my PM that is) and a lot of the code - which I'm currently working on.

I'd say you shouldn't wait. But it'll probably be out before April.

So, eh... this really didn't happen. At all. :p But, hey, at least I am soon able to pick this thing up again - in a couple of weeks, after my exams are done. After that there will be nearly no school stuff to hinder me, and I seem to be in a process of regaining my motivation, and Olav is working on finishing the art (although he also has some school things coming up). In other words, I am aiming for a mod release before I go to France this summer, aka before the summer holidays.

We still need pedia entries, by the way. Any help would be very appreciated!

And I'm excited for the possibility of scenario fixing. Would love some extra cities to conquer as Italy :D

When will the first civ be released? It's been 13 pages...
Seriously I'm excited for the Dervish

I wonder about the same thing, man. :p

I'm more excited about the Ethiopia split, to be honest. Dat Haile Selassie...

And I'm excited for the possibility of scenario fixing. Would love some extra cities to conquer as Italy :D

And with Napoleon III we can also have a better France!

Seriously, though, I am happy other people want this mod out! :D

Are you motivated enough now?

^See:
But, hey, at least I am soon able to pick this thing up again - in a couple of weeks, after my exams are done. After that there will be nearly no school stuff to hinder me, and I seem to be in a process of regaining my motivation, and Olav is working on finishing the art (although he also has some school things coming up). In other words, I am aiming for a mod release before I go to France this summer, aka before the summer holidays.

Yes, I just need to get done with my exams before I can go back to working on the mod! Math test on friday, first.

Hey, you saw my Napoleon III split on the civ request thread and recommended that I post my design here. Second French Empire
Leader: Napoleon III
UA: Liberal Empire: The Capital gains a 5% boost to production for every city connected to it and connected cities also gain +1 production. Roads cost 33% less.
UU: Zouave: Replaces Rifleman: +2 movement when embarked and starts with Amphibious. 20% combat bonus when fighting on foreign continents.
UB: Grande Ecoles: Replaces Public School. +20% boost to Great Merchant, Scientist and Engineer production.

Yes, and thank you for listening! :)

I see we have different focuses here: I want Napoleon III's France to primarily be a Great Writer and Production civ, with a secondary Culture and colonialism focus. Here's my tentative design, which is a bit outdated by now:

The Empire of France

Napoleon III

Liberal Empire
Cities founded after the Medieval era (Colonies if you use ExCE) provide :c5greatperson: Great Writer points to the city with the Writer's Guild. Building and National Wonder :c5production: Production is increased in the Capital by +1% for every Post-Ancient era Social Policy adopted (up to +30%).

Tirailleur
Weaker than the Rifleman it replaces. May be recruited from cities founded after the Medieval era (Colonies if you use ExCE). It receives a combat bonus (+20%) when fighting outside friendly territory.

Café
It doesn’t provide :c5production: Production from river tiles, consume Aluminum or require the city to be founded on a river, unlike the Hydro Plant it replaces. It increases :c5greatperson: Great Person Generation in the city based on its :c5production: Production output (up to 20%) and increases the :c5production: Production of the city by +1 for every Citizen. Costs 1 additional :c5gold: Gold in maintenance.

Now here's your design in my preferred format:

The Empire of France

Napoleon III

Liberal Empire
The Capital gains a +5% boost to :c5production: Production for every city :c5trade: Connected to it and :c5trade: Connected cities also gain +1 :c5production: Production. Roads cost 33% less :c5gold: Gold in maintenance.

Zouave
Receives +20% :c5strength: Combat Strength when fighting on continents not containing any French cities. +2 :c5moves: Movement when embarked and starts with the Amphibious promotion.

Grande Ecoles
Increases generation of :c5greatperson: Great Merchants, Scientists and Engineers by +20%, unlike the Public School it replaces.

The funny thing here is that not only do we have the same UA name, but we have practically the same unit (two different French colonial troops) and we both have a Great Person focus. Another uncanny thing is that I toyed around with a possible Railroads focus, but gave it to a potential Bismarck revision, which is now out of the question, by the way.

I am definitely replacing the Café with the Grande Ecoles in some way shape or form, but more Great Writer focused, to fit with my taste. I prefer designs that are more cycilstic/synergistic and offer a special playstyle, anyway.

My favourite part of your design is the UA, and if we could incorporate it in mine some way, that could work.

Sorry about the format, I was on my phone. I really wanted my UA to represent the modernization of France and specifically Paris during the time of Napoleon III. The capital production bonus should be capped at either 20 or 25 percent in my opinion. I was learning about the Second French Empire in my European History class when I came up with this UA and one of the powerpoint slides my teacher put was titled "Liberal Empire" which is where I got the name from. If you wanted to retain some of the elements from your original design in it, maybe the UA could be changed to also give Great Writer points from buildings in the capital. If each building gave one point that would probably be OP so maybe it could be 1 point for every 2 or 3 building, idk tbh I'm just throwing some ideas out there to see what we could ultimately arrive at. I think this works too because it represents the Romantic movement which had many French writers in it as well as France's modernization. Actually now that I wrote that I think it makes a lot of sense because Romanticists were anti-industrial and anti-modern so the more industrialized and modern your capital is, the more powerful the Romantic reaction against it would be, at least in theory.

As you said our units are pretty much the same. I chose the Zouave just because I think their uniforms looked cool. Either one could work honestly. 20% combat strength in all foreign territory is probably better since if you play on Pangaea or some other map without islands it would be more effective. Faster embarked speed could probably be left as they were both military forces that specialized in fighting overseas so it could also encourage colonizing and trans-oceanic warfare.

I had originally planned to give the Grande Ecoles a boost to all great people but I thought that was a little generic so I decided to narrow the focus to scientists, merchants, and engineers since most Grande Ecoles are technical schools that specialized in business and engineering careers. A lot of politicians and writers have studied in Grande Ecoles also so giving writer bonuses could work too. Maybe we can make a compromise and give a boost to both Writer and Engineer production to synergize with the production and writer focus that the UA has.

Hey cool, I would find it really awesome if you cared to help us! I'm sure we can also help you out in return sometime.

As for Napoleon: would it make sense to put the foreign legion in the UA (so not as a UU)? I think it is kind of weird to make probably the only civ that represents French colonialism in Africa and not include these guys.
I mean, it could just be a one time thing, like 1 unit for every captured city after you first war in the industrial era brakes out, our something about settled cities on another continent, the amount of allies you have, etcetera. Kind of like how some people's civ's start with walls or whatever, just a small awesome boost.

Also: sorry for inactivity but I have important Uni stuff to do, I started on recreating the icons but I will probably never nail Fireaxis art style, especially with my anti-digital hands who cant seem to work with those plastic witch boxes and jumbo sized pens.
Just give me the hopelessly outdated dried pulp. :cringe:

Top Bottom