New Unit: Sarmatian Swordsman (October 20, 2004)

utahjazz7

Deity
Well, here's the latest unit from me. It took me quite a long time to put together actually, about a month or so. Anyway, this unit was requested by Cimbri sometime over the summer, but I didn't notice it until I was working on the Ah-Kuy. When I saw it though, I liked it enough to make it.

This is the first unit that I made using Kinboat's paperdoll. I also used a couple of his clothing figures--the Greek armor and the pants--and his new beard prop. So, thanks to Kinboat for sharing those. :) The rest of the items I created myself, so I did do a little work here too.

I hope you all like this unit, and can find a use for it. By the way, Cimbri requested this unit with some other Germanic units. This one was the Iazyges, but he suggested Sarmatian Swordsman as a more general name.

Download.

very cool; though he honestlly strikes me as a baetter foundation for a sarmatian GL/ amry standard bearer then a swordsmen :)

It looks great, but I don't know what he is carrying in his right hand. It looks a little like a windsock in the still shot. What is it?

it is a windsock; its a type of standard that was first used 9that we know of) by the Dacians, and soon adopted by all the cultures around them, adn even roman zuxilliary units, were, by the tiem fo the lat eempire, it was the main cavalry standard, and the standard for a great deal of infantry units as well

Really beautiful unit... :thumbsup: :love: hmmm... not sure how to use it though... If this had to get stuck with one of the 31 standard Civ3 civs, what would it be? Persia?? I'm leaning towards Persia....

But on the other hand, I want to add to my game some of those mercenary-type units available with those "minor civilization" resources... so maybe I'll make Sarmatians and make their unit this.

Well, DPII, I have no idea. I just saw a picture and thought that it looked cool enough to be made into a unit.

utahjazz7 said:
Well, DPII, I have no idea. I just saw a picture and thought that it looked cool enough to be made into a unit.

Aye, and he is very much cool enough to be made into a unit... and a very cool unit indeed.

The question wasn't really posed to you, but rather in general to anyone who could answer it. so no pressure... ;)

Looks good. Ah... maybe I'll use him as a medieval assault meteorologist?

Wow, that is a sweet unit, utah!

Sarmatians came from the Steppes (?) -- they sort of "replaced" the Scythians -- so I'm guessing on a world map, this could serve as an early Russian unit (Mongolia is too far away geographically)? In my personal mod I have an "Austrian" civ representing most any Eastern European country (not accurately, I know, but it's the best solution I came up with: Poland, South Slavs, Hungary, Dacians, etc.), and I'll give this unit to them (as well as the Dacian Falxman).

Very nice, but he should actually use his shield instead of keeping it as decoration on his back. Just a thought.

YEAH!!!!! :goodjob:

Thank you Utah, it looks wicked awesome! :D

Edit:

Like I wrote:
The Iazyges were a Sarmatian people, they flocked to the Danube region in the late 1st century BC. In 50 AD, they supplied cavalry to some Quadi potentate backed by Rome. In 92 AD they teamed up with the Germanic Quadi and Marcomanni and very much ruined the day for Legio XXI Rapax.
From 167-180 they again teamed up with the Quadi and Marcomanni and fought in the not too fortunate Marcomannic Wars, where the barbarians were severely beaten by Russel Crowe and his dog. In 173 the Iazyges were defeated in Pannonia. In 175, 8.000 Iazyges are pressed into Roman service, 5.000 of which are sent to Britain. From 236-238, Maximinus Thrax campaigns against the Iazyges, and in 282 the Iazyges are again defeated in Pannonia, this time by Emperor Carus.

The Unit can be any Sarmatian, and for that matter Scythian or Sakae, foot-soldier, though.

Link to thread in my sig.

H'okay... well... I really haven't the slightest idea what civ would encompass the Sarmatians in the epic game... so I'm just going to make them a minor civ resource.

I have to agree, he looks really, really cool :D That dragon standard rocks.

Top Bottom