ATI users: do NOT download the newest drivers

tristangreer

Warlord
ATI users probably should NOT download the newest catalyst 5.10 drivers. I had the 6.14 drivers installed, and the game played, although it slowed down toward the endgame. In hopes of fixing this, I downloaded the new drivers, and guess what? I get the renderer error that everyone else is getting! Word to the wise, try the 6.14 drivers instead of the new catalyst 5.10 drivers.

And where do I get the better 6.14 drivers you mention?

P.S I JUST downloaded the new cat driver 5.10, but I have not restarted my comp yet to enable the changes to take affect. :( :thumbdown

I don't know...I'll google and see if i can find them. If anyone finds these drivers, post a link.

Well if this Cat driver gives me issues there's always the driver CD that came with my video card.

Though I don't know what version it is.

I payed $300 for this video card in January. It is a Radeon 9600XT and I will be FUMING if there is an issue.

I just installed the latest drivers and ran into problems with them. I started out with the Control Panel version and when the system rebooted I got a black screen, no image. I then tried the Control Center version and though I did get an image, my machine rebooted before Windows had finished reloading, at which point I once again got a black screen. This last time I rebooted pressing F8 and selected the option to boot using the last working configuration and I finally got my system running again. I don't know what's going to happen if I reboot again though.

There seems to be some major issues with the latest Radeon driver.

I have Catalyst v5.10 (Control Panel version), and Catalyst seems to be working okay for me :D ... but Civ4 doesn't :cry:

(For reference: I have WinXP Pro SP1 with .net installed.)

Willem said:
I just installed the latest drivers and ran into problems with them. I started out with the Control Panel version and when the system rebooted I got a black screen, no image. I then tried the Control Center version and though I did get an image, my machine rebooted before Windows had finished reloading, at which point I once again got a black screen. This last time I rebooted pressing F8 and selected the option to boot using the last working configuration and I finally got my system running again. I don't know what's going to happen if I reboot again though.

There seems to be some major issues with the latest Radeon driver.

Everytime I install a vid driver I get a black screen for a couple seconds after I see the desktop. I have also had the driver reboot windows on me after an install. After then next restart I never see that breif black screen again. I am assuming it is a combo WinXP/ATI thing. How long did you wait at the black screen? Was the computer responding? (try num-lock). Anyway, if you have subsequently restarted sucessfully with the new drivers I think you are in the clear. I have seen this with my friends ATI card as well.

SmCaudata said:
Everytime I install a vid driver I get a black screen for a couple seconds after I see the desktop. I have also had the driver reboot windows on me after an install. After then next restart I never see that breif black screen again. I am assuming it is a combo WinXP/ATI thing. How long did you wait at the black screen? Was the computer responding? (try num-lock). Anyway, if you have subsequently restarted sucessfully with the new drivers I think you are in the clear. I have seen this with my friends ATI card as well.

It wasn't just a momentary black screen, it stayed black. I waited for several minutes and still nothing appeared. I have had the problem before that you mention so I figure the same thing was happening, but it was more than that. Hopefully though I have it working now. I still haven't tried to reboot since I got it running though. I'm a little afraid to frankly. :eek:

Incidentally, I only got it working, so far, with the Control Center version of the drivers. Control Panel was a complete write off for me.

I only run the drivers from my board manufacturer, MSI. That doesn't use the bloated ATI interface and seems to work for me more effectively in all other games. Hopefully I can stick with them once I actually get my copy.

Edit: Oh, and I once tried one of the 2 variations from ATI a while back and also could not get them to work. The other did, but wouldn't run WoW so I reverted to the MSI drivers. It could be that mine is a 3rd party card. Not sure though.

I am using 5.10 without problems. If you are updating drivers make sure you uninstall the old ones first and then restart your system before installing the new drivers.

Top Bottom