SGn00b - for those new to SG's

Sir Toma

Warlord
Sorry about the thread titl but i was really tired while typing it and can't figure out a way tochange it to something less demeaning to the people who post here.

Hi. I thought that it would be a good idea for someone to start an SG for people whohave never played one before or have hardly played civ IV before. I myself have only played one SG (well actually its still going:D ) and have really loved it, but suck:( .

Anyway unless someone wants them i'm not proposing any special rules (the first one to mention raging barbs will be shot:ar15: ... just kidding:goodjob: ) or wacky variants. Just good old Civ IV

Map type: Pangaea
Size: Standard
Sea Level: ???
Climate: ??? (i'd prefer tropical)
Civ: To be decided.
Level: Noble (unless anyone has any problems with it)
Speed: Epic or Normal

If anyone has any ideas please mention them.

Players (full, sory :sad: )
Roster
Sir Toma
pling
Chriseay
Sadan01
BeefontheBone
Admiral Kutzov
Pie-es Tasty

I am hoping for 24 hours to get it and 48 hours to play and post the save but if you have a problem (eg. work, school whatever) just notify:)

I was hoping to make this a peacful sort of game but we will probobaly end up at war. Anyone is welcome to join and any advice would be appreciated:goodjob:

edit: must be patched to 1.09:)

I'll join in if I'm welcome :) ... never played an SG (only started lurking on this forum since CIV came out). I've never played on Noble, either, normally play on Warlord - but it'll be a nice challenge ;)

I'd love to join. I was looking for something like this, as this would be my first SG. It seems like a fun idea, and it gives a little more meaning to all the time I spend playing civ. One thing though, a standard map would probably be best. I know at least on my machine, by the late game large is cumbersome, but by no means unplayable. Hope to get this started soon!

Chris

Sir Toma, I would like to join if you'd let me. I've never played a succession game so would love to join one with fellow n00b's :) I am playing at Noble at the moment.

In terms of leaders, why not Qin Shi Huang as if you plan to play a "peaceful" game, then Industrious and Financial would make great traits.

Edit: Providing I'm in, are we playing a patch level 1.09?

I'd be up for playing this - I'm currently playing Prince (badly) but haven't played an SG before - can't believe it took me until Civ 4 to realise there was a community going on :(
My only concern would be that 8 people is rather a lot to keep track of - if everyone takes the full 48 hours that's also a fortnight between turns for each player. I'd recommend sticking to no more than 6.

I think I like 6 people better too. Like Beefonthebone said, with eight people we're probably looking at almost a week for a full rotation at best, and longer if people get caught up in real life.

I think a financial and either creative or industrious leader would be good. I like creative a lot because it makes border expansion much easier. My votes would be for Catherine or Qin then, which is good because those are two I've not played (I almost always play on random leaders).

Chris

I'm quite partial to playing Catherine if I'm aiming for a more peaceful game :) But I've not tried playing as Qin so might like that even better if I tried it ;)

Creative is overrated in some cases - that border's handy, but the effect is replicated with an obelisk or an early religion. Qin also gets a better UU, but maybe I'm biased by beating up Cathy in my current game as China :)

Mmm, but with Creative 5 turns after you found the city it can work every tile it's going to be able to work, which can give you a few more options on city placement with respect to resources you'd really like to work :)

But then one of the best things about Civ4 so far is that the traits seem to be pretty balanced - in Civ3 I had a much narrower range of choices that I liked, but in Civ4 every civ has its good points :)

True that an early religion or an obelisk can accomplish the same thing as the creative trait, but at a much higher cost. Obelisks require mysticism to be researched and 30 hammers, plus they are pretty quickly obsolete. Religion must be researched and then spread, unless of course you want to wait for the unpredictable natural spread. I like creative!

Of course, it all depends on what your aims are and what challenges you want.

Chris

Obelisks never go obsolete, only the ones from Stonehenge, since their output is entirely culture. They do, of course, cost hammers, but I'd tend to go for whatever Qin's other trait is (industrious?) over creative, particularly since industrious+stone=Stonehenge is a fairly common event.

BeefontheBone said:
Obelisks never go obsolete, only the ones from Stonehenge, since their output is entirely culture. They do, of course, cost hammers, but I'd tend to go for whatever Qin's other trait is (industrious?) over creative, particularly since industrious+stone=Stonehenge is a fairly common event.

Ahh, I am mistaken. I thought all obelisks went obsolete. That being the case I definitely gave a little too much power to the creative trait.

Considering that we don't know how many A.I opponents there are going to be (unless it has been stated and I am blind (which is possible), culture may be something that is irrelevant anyway - at least in the early game until the landmass is filled in.

I think that Industrious (better for building wonders - although no "fixation" here and the Forges are a powerful improvement to increase hammers in the early game) and Financial (which tends to get better in the late(r) game anyway) are a better way to go. If the game turns out to be one where we will need to fight (and let's face it, on Pangaea maps, we are going to run out of room and are going to need more - same with the A.Is), then we will have the treasury - or at least a major boost to our income - needed to build an army to lay the :hammer: At the same time, we can more easily go into those Civics which are more expensive (and more useful) than the others.

I just hope that Alexander is not close to the starting location.

hi peeps. i'm an old fart. i'm also unreliable, irresponsible, insane and inane. i also like to experiment and have won space and diplo on noble standard. i'd like to play a game with some new blood to see what fresh ideas pop out. I'll play if u limit it to six and u'll put up with me. I'm not a mentor type.

Hey Admiral, don't know if you'll be in, but I have to say I like your title. I'm a Penn State grad still living in State College. The Orange Bowl will be fun, if I can scrape together enough money to make it down to Miami.

On the leader bit, it seems after some discussion and consideration that financial and industrious is better than creative. I do like the financial, it's very powerful by the end game. I suppose my vote goes to Qin then, which is ok since I've haven't played as him yet anyway.

hey chriseay. hope u can scrape up the money. i went to the 85 game where the lions lost to the sooners. it was a blast. re the civ, i'm ambivalent. I have strategies that have worked on noble, but I'll keep silent to see what everyone comes up with.

lurker's comment: :eek: Admiral spreading the word of the greatest religion...."Idiocy". Have fun everyone SG's are a gas! ...FYI AK and I have a Bears-Steelers bet this weekend. My Az. Wildcat hat for his PSU Lion hat. :p
Yours in idiocy,
Major Idiot Whompinator :D

Top Bottom