SGn00b - for those new to SG's

@Beef, Pling (and Chriseay if he's interested): I haven't really decided much about what I'd like to do. I must admit, besides this SG, I haven't played much of Civ4 of late due to time constraints. Due to that, I don't know if a particular variant of the classic civ game is one I want to explore just yet. I've seen some really wacky, yet very inventive ones out there (Chriseay's CS-1 is one example - Inventive, not wacky ;)). I dunno. I think I'd prefer to stick to the "classic" formula with maybe shooting for a particular victory condition. Let me give this some thought this afternoon and I'll make another post later today (and it is hard to think clearly at the moment as I am at work with people bothering me every 5 minutes :crazyeye: ). I am open to suggestions too if any of you would like to play a particular game type.

Edit: A cross-post with Chriseay of sorts. Glad to see you are interested mate. And you are right - we technically are not n00bs any longer. Maybe the "SGN00b" brand can be laid to rest...

Even though this thread should die now, I would rather plan a new SG here instead of opening a "Sadan's Planning SG Thread" of sorts. I've been doing some thinking regardless, which can sometimes be hard for me... Here is what I would like to do (with many more details to be filled in by a sort of consensus from you)... Note that everything I post here is up for discussion and change if you would like.

Difficulty: Definitely Prince now. I can beat Noble on most SP games I play (only exception are really crappy starting locations on a totally small island in the middle of nowhere; that kind of thing). I cannot beat Prince as yet but almost there in some games (but given up as have been dogpiled by the A.I.). I'm sure all of you are further along than that.

Map Type: I am not a person that really likes the island-type map starts so probably would prefer something like Continents, Customized Continents or even Terra. Thoughts? Size would have to be no more than a Normal sized map. This computer hates anything bigger as soon as the entire map is revealed.

Civ: Well I am well and truly over the finanical trait. Most games in SP are played with this trait too so I do want to experiment with other Civ's. I was thinking along the lines of playing a game as the Russians (Peter) or Cyrus, or possibly even Toku.

Victory: Well the above give us a Domination victory again or Conquest. Lets scrap the domination for now. So conquest is a possibility. As Cyrus, we could try for a cultural victory (never tried for one of those). What are your thoughts on these? If you have a better or other idea, please post it. I am open to space race as well. If there is a victory-type or Civ you want to play or try, post that too. I want to give you as much of a chance in having a say as possible.

I really like the idea of a cultural victory. A terra could be fun, and I think it would add challenge to cultural victory, as just as we'd want to concentrate on just our lands, we'd be going overseas to colonize the new world. Anything is ok for me though.

Sadan01 said:
Difficulty: Definitely Prince now. I can beat Noble on most SP games I play (only exception are really crappy starting locations on a totally small island in the middle of nowhere; that kind of thing). I cannot beat Prince as yet but almost there in some games (but given up as have been dogpiled by the A.I.). I'm sure all of you are further along than that.

Nah, I'm right there with you. Nice to see not everyone else regards Monarch as too easy :) (I've read too much in the GOTM forum I think ;) ).

Sadan01 said:
Map Type: I am not a person that really likes the island-type map starts so probably would prefer something like Continents, Customized Continents or even Terra. Thoughts? Size would have to be no more than a Normal sized map. This computer hates anything bigger as soon as the entire map is revealed.

I've only really played on Continents maps, but I'm happy with whatever :)

Sadan01 said:
Civ: Well I am well and truly over the finanical trait. Most games in SP are played with this trait too so I do want to experiment with other Civ's. I was thinking along the lines of playing a game as the Russians (Peter) or Cyrus, or possibly even Toku.

I've been playing with random leaders recently - so whatever, again :)

Sadan01 said:
Victory: Well the above give us a Domination victory again or Conquest. Lets scrap the domination for now. So conquest is a possibility. As Cyrus, we could try for a cultural victory (never tried for one of those). What are your thoughts on these? If you have a better or other idea, please post it. I am open to space race as well. If there is a victory-type or Civ you want to play or try, post that too. I want to give you as much of a chance in having a say as possible.

The only thing I don't like about cultural is that the endgame can be just sitting there praying the AI doesn't attack too much before your cities make it to legendary. Probably the only decision we have to make before game start is cultural vs. non-cultural, though? I think cultural is the only one where we need to play differently right from the start (I mean look at how we got domination this time, having floundered around for millenia in the middle of the game :D ).

This planning a new game is definitely getting me out of my fed-upness with Civ :cooool: ... still haven't played any civ for over 2 weeks, but I'm beginning to think about when I might be able to fit some in this weekend ;)

chriseay said:
I really like the idea of a cultural victory. A terra could be fun, and I think it would add challenge to cultural victory, as just as we'd want to concentrate on just our lands, we'd be going overseas to colonize the new world. Anything is ok for me though.

Ouch! You want to stack the deck against us with a cultural victory and a Terra map? :cool: I like that idea! I must admit, my reason for bringing up the cultural victory type is that I have never been able to achieve one before. I have tried a couple of times (and one when playing a OCC! Yes I was :smoke: with that one) and I failed. The actual victory-type itself really doesn't interest me much as war or space seem so much more interesting to me, however it is there in the game, and is a challenge to get the victory. I know for me, Prince will take me out of my comfort zone of sorts, and then also playing on a Terra map with the cultural victory, well, now I am crossing into the twilight zone. :twitch: Still wanna play? :lol:

pling said:
Nah, I'm right there with you. Nice to see not everyone else regards Monarch as too easy (I've read too much in the GOTM forum I think).

Yeah, isn't it demoralizing in a way? A lot of people are playing at Monarch, Emperor or even Immortal now. Although their SGs are great for a read to see what they have to go through and what strategies they do use. However, I find I have that problem where I will read about a couple of strategies that seem to work really well and think, well I'll try that in my next game when condition x appears... Either in my next game, that condition does not appear or if it does, I've forgotten it already. But then again, this is the purpose of SGs: To learn from each other.

pling said:
The only thing I don't like about cultural is that the endgame can be just sitting there praying the AI doesn't attack too much before your cities make it to legendary. Probably the only decision we have to make before game start is cultural vs. non-cultural, though? I think cultural is the only one where we need to play differently right from the start (I mean look at how we got domination this time, having floundered around for millenia in the middle of the game).

I'm thinking we could maybe tie in some defensive pacts into the mid/end-game to make it more interesting. I dunno. I don't have that much experience with cultural victories to really make a call on that. Besides, with Chriseay stacking the deck, I think we'll have our hands full as is.. :p The more I think about it, the more I like this idea of cultural victory on a terra map.

I agree with you regarding the cultural vs non-cultural. If that is the decision to go for, then yes, we have to go for it from turn 1. The legendary culture is too hard to get otherwise.

Few more things:

1. If I do start this game, instead of calling it something like SADAN-01 or SAD-01 etc, as I don't think it is fair if I take the name, can we think of a new name to call the SG? N00bs we are certainly not anymore.
2. Beef, are you still interested? [pimp]'s are definitely allowed. We need them for the :culture: and :gold: they will provide :)
3. If Beef is still interested, then I was thinking that we should leave the amount of players at 4/5 (I have asked AK if he would like to join as well - still waiting on word back). What do you think? In fact, if AK is not interested, then 4 would probably be fine and dangly.

Fine and dangly, huh? ;)

I just wanted to put my two cents in on the level issue. I consider myself more of a prince/monarch player, but definitely nowhere above that. I've beat monarch once, but I've only really finished one game there. Prince is about perfect at this stage. Upon seeing this discussion, and the GOTM references, I decided to give this months a go. I thought I'd play for more than an hour last night. Um, no. Emperor is somewhat insane. Definitely way above my level.

In short, let's stick to Prince as that seems to be where or not too far above where we're all comfortable.

Fine and dangly, is it?

Too Much Information!

Erm, yeah I'd be up for that - never managed a cultural victory either, yet. The trick seems to be religion - more religions -> more temples -> more cathedrals, the key components. I don't think you actually do need to decide right at the start, but certainly it can't hurt to know we'll want to obtain lots of different religions.

Hey guy, sorry I couldn't get around to commenting sooner, our router totally died a couple days ago and we went and got a new one today (my internet is blazing fast now).

Congrats on the win! Too bad I couldn't play one more turnset before the end, but a win is a win, and we won! Ex-n00b power!

BeefontheBone said:
Fine and dangly, is it?

Too Much Information!

Erm, yeah I'd be up for that - never managed a cultural victory either, yet. The trick seems to be religion - more religions -> more temples -> more cathedrals, the key components. I don't think you actually do need to decide right at the start, but certainly it can't hurt to know we'll want to obtain lots of different religions.

I wondered who'd pick up on that. Interesting as both you and Chriseay said something about it first up in your respective posts... :p

I've been having a look through the cultural threads on the strategy article sub-forum. Interesting reads... Seeing as we will be playing on Prince, we may not be able to get the early religions however we can accept other religions in our lands to still build cathedrals.. This forthcoming game is going to have a totally different feel to it compared to n00by.. Nice. If you are interested, the threads are here and here. I have some reading to do as religions have never been a big factor in my games... Well actually they were when I read RB1 (was intrigued by the hydra), but that was about it. I found the early game easier by not founding any religion and either adopting something later (by founding a religion myself), or not bothering at all. Of course, there are major tradeoff's by not founding a religion or choosing to adopt one.

I think our biggest problem in the early game will be trying to found 3 good cities that are food rich, in particular (besides our hammer requirement). More surplus food, more population, more artists toward the end-game. We are obviously going to need more cities than just 3.

Pie-es-Tasty said:
Hey guy, sorry I couldn't get around to commenting sooner, our router totally died a couple days ago and we went and got a new one today (my internet is blazing fast now).
Congrats on the win! Too bad I couldn't play one more turnset before the end, but a win is a win, and we won! Ex-n00b power!

Hey Pie.. You interested in the new game we are planning? All ex-n00bs are invited so if you are interested, I'll add you to the planned roster. If you want to add anything to our discussions on this planned cultural victory on a terra map, jump in.

I'm going to kick this game off soon folks. I'll probably generate a few (or 5) starts, open a new thread, post a roster and then we'll decide on which start we want to go with... I think that Sirian did a great job on balancing most starts on most maps however sometimes you do get screwed. Besides that being the name-of-the-game, I want to give us the best opportunity to get a good start.

One more point on the chosen Civ, instead of someone like Cyrus, I am leaning towards either Gandhi (no military UU, but a damn useful worker) or Hatshepsut (I've never played a game with the Egyptians). What do you think?

Ghandi is probably a good choice for a cultural game. Fast workers will help get those cities up and running quicker, and the traits help too. Industrious will obviously help us get wonders, but that will help immensely with both culture and gpp's. Spiritual will be useful for going for those religions early and for switching between both civics and state religion. Switching could be more useful than one might think, as you never know when we'll get sneak attacked, and conceivably we may not be ready for it going for culture. Second, if we get multiple religions in multiple cities, then we can switch easily from one to another as state religion to get the extra culture. A holy city gets either one or two base culture no matter, but if it is your state religion you get five base culture. I'm looking forward to this one. :)

Sadan01 said:
I wondered who'd pick up on that. Interesting as both you and Chriseay said something about it first up in your respective posts... :p

Whereas I just did the proper well-bred British lady bit and ignored your ill-mannered remark :p

And if you believe that ... there's this bridge ... :rolleyes:

Sadan01 said:
One more point on the chosen Civ, instead of someone like Cyrus, I am leaning towards either Gandhi (no military UU, but a damn useful worker) or Hatshepsut (I've never played a game with the Egyptians). What do you think?

Ghandi sounds good to me, too :) I'm terrible at remembering the UUs of the civs so I tend not to pick them on that basis.

pling said:
Whereas I just did the proper well-bred British lady bit and ignored your ill-mannered remark :p

And if you believe that ... there's this bridge ... :rolleyes:

:lol: You certainly didn't ignore it, Pling.. You still responded :p I originally thought that you all might think it was a typo. It wasn't... :blush:

pling said:
Ghandi sounds good to me, too :) I'm terrible at remembering the UUs of the civs so I tend not to pick them on that basis.

Ok, Gandhi it is then. I think he is a good choice personally. Chriseay brought up some good points too about him. Ok, we have chosen the Civ... One more question, which I mentioned above: what do you folks want to call this SG? Ideas? It is only a small matter I know but still I feel it is an important one. As I said above, I don't believe it right to put my name on the SG but I guess I will have to if no one answers the question. I don't think "ex-n00b's SG" is a good name or idea. After we discuss this briefly (if any discussion takes place), I'll crack a few games open and post the starting-locations in a new thread and we'll get the show on the road.

Sadan01 said:
what do you folks want to call this SG? Ideas? It is only a small matter I know but still I feel it is an important one. As I said above, I don't believe it right to put my name on the SG but I guess I will have to if no one answers the question. I don't think "ex-n00b's SG" is a good name or idea. After we discuss this briefly (if any discussion takes place), I'll crack a few games open and post the starting-locations in a new thread and we'll get the show on the road.

Umm, no idea what to call it at all - hence why I'd been ignoring that part of the discussion ;) Sorry :)

Ok. I am going to roll some starts tonight and then tomorrow, I'll open a new thread and post the starts and we can go from there (pick the start we want to go with and opening strategy etc). Here are the game settings I intend to use:

Map: Terra
Diff: Prince
Map Size: Standard
Our Civ: The Indians - Gandhi (Spiritual/Industrious)
Game Speed: Epic
All other settings as per normal.

I'll post the various saves and starting locations, we can choose at that point and then discuss strategy - move settler or not, technology to research etc. I guess this is a last chance to change any settings if you want to.

If any of you want a particular location in the roster, let me know. Here is a quick roster I setup:

Version 1.0 Roster (in order of posts made after my suggestion of another SG):
Sadan
Beef
Pling
Chriseay
Pie (maybe)

AK hasn't gotten back to me and he already has a game he is playing in the strategy thread (for help I think) so I don't think he will be in this next game.

Beef, if you can't stand playing directly after me again (which is quite understandable :D), you are quite welcome to kick the game off if you want once we start??

Mmmm sounds good to me. I haven't played much at all on the epic setting. Should be interesting, especially for a culture game. I wonder how (if at all) it will affect it. I'll be looking forward to seeing those starts!

Sadan01 said:
Hey Pie.. You interested in the new game we are planning? All ex-n00bs are invited so if you are interested, I'll add you to the planned roster. If you want to add anything to our discussions on this planned cultural victory on a terra map, jump in.

Thanks for the invite Sadan, but I don't think I'm really up to playing another game. I have so little time lately, and the last one, despite being a blast, was still a lot of work. If you send me the thread for your new game, I'll gladly watch with interest, but I'm going to have to sit it out. Sorry guys.

No problemo Pie. I'll post the details of the new game in this thread later tonight. In fact, I will be starting that new thread tonight. Thanks for letting us know however :) Maybe sometime down the track we can play an SG together again. I don't really intend on stopping (unless I get into a GalCiv2 SG - now there's an idea :banana:)...

Anyway, back on topic, do we want to leave the roster at 4 or ask for another person to join? As I said above, I'll start a new thread later tonight when I get home from work.

Top Bottom