Does whiskey cure a sore throat?

storealex

In service of peace
Im not really sick, besides the sore throat part. Now some people have told me that boose can kill the bacteria causing the ill, and that it often helps to drink a little whiskey or vodka. Is this true?

Depends on the quantity ;) .
But I just gargle with hot salty water. As hot and salty as I can stand it.

I think it might work, but I'm not a doctor. I'd give it a shot. Even if it doesn't work, you probably won't care about your sore throat after drinking an entire bottle.;)

Evil Tyrant said:
I think it might work, but I'm not a doctor. I'd give it a shot. Even if it doesn't work, you probably won't care about your sore throat after drinking an entire bottle.;)

I think this is the intended cure behind it. Alcohol can "cure" a toothache, the same way that excedrin another pain reliever can.

I don't know.
But there are worse placebos than whiskey ;) .

I find that hot tea with some honey added often cures my sore throat.

MMMMmmmm nice n' smooth.

Wishey cures everything even hearbrake.

skadistic said:
Wishey cures everything even hearbrake.

It's true. I once lost my left arm in a tragic potatoe-pealing accident and after weeks of intensive whiskey treatment, it regrew as evidenced by this smiley :goodjob:

I have no idea, but I know its good for teething babies! It makes them stop crying, because it just numbs the pain! Yay for giving a child alcoholism for a night of rest.

Alcohol will probably kill some of the bacteria. But the main effect is to make you not care about it any more...

To gargle and spit it out would be the most effective way to use alcohol to help a sore throat. Gargling with warm salt water is better, as stated above.

Whiskey CAN.
Also, try honey. It is a natural anti-bacterial agent!

My experience is that, if you take 4 or 5 shots of whiskey as soon as you start to feel the 'scratchiness' in your throat, it may well kill whatever it is causing it.

I was very sick a few days ago, and I began drinking some sort of Chinese spirit daily. Very strong, 56% alcohol, and I'm no longer sick. I don't know if it medically worked or not, but it certainly made me feel better.

Top Bottom