Does whiskey cure a sore throat?

While I'm not certain, it seems plausible that anything with a high alcohol content would kill off any infection in the throat.

Well this thread has made me go out tonight and get royally slaughtered because of my cough causing a sore throat. I hope all should be well in the morning after intaking vast quantities of Alcohol. Thank you all :)

BCLG100 said:
Well this thread has made me go out tonight and get royally slaughtered because of my cough causing a sore throat. I hope all should be well in the morning after intaking vast quantities of Alcohol. Thank you all :)

Tonight you'll be fine. However in the morning you may find added problems such as headaches, nausea and there's a good chance the sore throat will be back and worse.

Kan' Sharuminar said:
Tonight you'll be fine. However in the morning you may find added problems such as headaches, nausea and there's a good chance the sore throat will be back and worse.

ah you see not if i go to work drunk :D

and CH but thats not the point :p

storealex said:
Im not really sick, besides the sore throat part. Now some people have told me that boose can kill the bacteria causing the ill, and that it often helps to drink a little whiskey or vodka. Is this true?

It doesn't cure anything, but the warmth of the liquor can make the throat feel better. Most sore throats are viral infections anyway, not bacterial.

classical_hero said:
Isn't milk better at soothing a sore throat thatn whisky will ever be?
If you have a bacterial sore throat then milk is the WORST think you can take. It coats the throat with a good culture medium for the bacteria.

If you gargle the whiskey and spit it out, it should potentially provide similar benefits to your throat. More if you consider that it spent more time in contact with the infected region. Of course it can be very hard to spit out good whiskey.

I've been told as well that whiskey, tequila, etc. work well at curing sore throats (anything with high alcohol content). Neither my wife nor I drink, but we keep a bottle around for just this purpose. We typically take one shot for it. Our last bottle lasted a little over four years.

Oh yeah, if I'm having trouble sleeping, I typically take a couple shots. Since I don't drink, this helps tremendously. :D

Rambuchan said:
I feel an ingrown toenail coming on. Better hit the bottle!!

I scratched my wrist the other day when working, if I poke it it still kinda hurts. I better have some too, just to be on the safe side. :p

Shaihulud said:
If you gargle the whiskey and spit it out, it should potentially provide similar benefits to your throat. More if you consider that it spent more time in contact with the infected region. Of course it can be very hard to spit out good whiskey.

It should be! Poor whisky, we barely knew ye.

Kan' Sharuminar said:
I scratched my wrist the other day when working, if I poke it it still kinda hurts. I better have some too, just to be on the safe side. :p

simple plan-just knock your head against the bar before every drink-that way you'll have excuse AND the alcohol will work better due to the minor concussion you'll be experiencing.

BCLG100 said:
simple plan-just knock your head against the bar before every drink-that way you'll have excuse AND the alcohol will work better due to the minor concussion you'll be experiencing.

My country means I need no excuse. In fact, given the stereotype, I think I need to have an excuse not to be drinking :p

Kan' Sharuminar said:
My friend, I'm feeling your pain.

*downs a bottle of scotch*

Top Bottom