MiG-29 Fulcrum

The Conquests

Conquests
Russian Front-line fighter MiG-29.
fscale~0.5
two versions MiG-29 and MiG-29UB two-seat trainer! Animated!

Attachments

• MiG-29.jpg
    MiG-29.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 407
  • MiG-29.zip
    121.1 KB · Views: 425
  • MiG-29UB.zip
    197.6 KB · Views: 369
  • MiG-29UB.jpg
    MiG-29UB.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 381
Er... so which one is the plane you made? Or are you showing two textures (skins)?

Maybe you should make the model a little bit smaller in 3dsMax or whatever program you used, so one can set it to an Scale of about 0.5-1.5 and not this 0.007 - Ok it´s not that important but I like a good finishing ;)

If the Unit you made is the one at the bottom left, then it´s some brilliant work, I love the texture, makes it very distiguishable from other jetfighters.

BTW: what´s the polycount?

the skin looks a bit strange, but the model looks solid. Are you planning a to make Phantom or Tornado, too?

The black planes are the Fulcrums. The plane in the bottom left looks like an Su-27 Flanker (looks like Nautil's). The other plane is obviously an F-16 Falcon.

The modeling on the Fulcrum looks pretty good, although it's kinda hard to tell with that texture. It needs some more detail in the textures. Right now, IMHO, it looks like an untextured model. Add a few lightened panel lines on it and it will set it off, I think. The other option is paint it in the grey camo that most Russian birds are painted, if you can do camo.

i'm so waiting for mig29 ... and conquest, please, finish ur model. black texture doesn't really look realistic ( same as nautil's su27 down left corner on ur screen, it's "russian knights" acerobatic team skin )

but the model looks very good as it is right now ! :))) just, please, don't be lazy to finish it and it will be in my mod right away :)))

As others pointed out the model looks great but the texture is too dark. I would like to however add that you should export the model with the texture separate (as dds file), this will make it easier, no scratch that, possible :) for other people to reskin the model to fit with their mods, if they so wish. If you're not sure how to do that send me a PM and I'll be happy to explain.

bofff, no bad...(two texture is the solution for one great unit)

Hmmm, the skin is still in the MiG-29.nif file, not the dds.
Also, the model is certainly awesome but it's 20,000+ polygons. Having a few of these in the game will make the game unplayable for most people. You should significantly reduce the polygon count. It's best if you could make it below 2000 polygons, but for something like planes, that usually don't appear in large numbers at once, you could probably get away with 2000-3000 polygons.

The best place to start with the polygon reduction would be to just reduce the detail on all the round/cylindrical parts. At the kind of distance and scale that units appear in civ4 an 8-sided cylinder looks as good as an 18-sided one but performs three times faster.

Second good place to look would be the various places on the plane that are not easily accessible/visible. Simplest example is the bottom part of the plane. Basically most of the time you don't even see it, so you could significantly reduce the detail there. You could certainly remove the various "detail" pieces there, such as nozzles, any landing gear components, etc. Rockets can also be made very simple - 6 sided cylinder as a base for a rocket is more than enough. Also, a place like the inside of the exhaust ports - it just needs an inverted 6-sided cone, any more than that and you're wasting polygons on something that most people will never even notice. :)

I know it's difficult to reduce polygons so much, especially on a model you put so much work into, but many people that play civ4 aren't even gamers in the traditional sense and don't have very powerful rigs, and you don't want to exclude them - I mean a pissed off strategy genious that have taken over the world on deity difficulty countless times, who knows what kind of havoc they could cause :D

@ The Conquests: Don't get rid of your high poly model. Just reduce the poly count and save it as another file, so you still have the old one. That way, if something you reduced doesn't go quite as planned and looks odd, you can always go back and start over. It's a little addage in 3d modeling that you never delete your old work. You never know when something you did in the past might come in usefull in the future.

BTW, the new skin looks much better now. If I can figure out how to reskin models, I may go in and add a few more little details like de-icing boots and insignia. Not sure how hard that'll be.

n003lb said:
@ The Conquests: Don't get rid of your high poly model. Just reduce the poly count and save it as another file, so you still have the old one.
Yes, that's definitely true and bears repeating. :)

great skin and great unit (good job):goodjob:

Multi-role MiG-29SMT is the modernization of the MiG-29. Animated(Gedemon)
MiG-29UBT two seat trainer, srike version. animated(The Conquests)poly~1900 fscale~0.5

Attachments

• MiG-29SMT.jpg
    MiG-29SMT.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 301
  • MiG-29SMT.zip
    164.9 KB · Views: 173
  • MiG-29UBT.zip
    84.6 KB · Views: 161
wow that's a really great model !

and I like the skin :goodjob:

I take the liberty to attach animation to it (and resize it), with in mind the memory of the great nif tutorial by Rabbit, White. here's the link to the animated version if you want it : MiG29.rar

edit for nif edit user : all anim seems ok, except death. I've made invisible the base jet fighter, is there something I should (not) do to get death anim ?

Top Bottom