M-51 Isherman 30th August 2006

Wyrmshadow

Deity
I just can't keep still for long.

The standard tank of the IDF armored units in early 1950s was the American M4 Sherman, obtained from various sources including junkyards. In 1953 Israeli delegation visited France in order to take a look at the new AMX 13 light tank. The tank was armed with a 75 mm gun FN CN 75-50, a development of the gun of the German Panther. On the other side, the armor of the French tank was considered too light. Eventually Israel purchased the AMX 13, however in a parallel development it was decided to to combine the easily available, familiar and better armored body of Sherman with the powerful French gun.

The development started in 1954 and in 1955 the prototype turret was sent to Israel. Similarly to the Sherman Firefly, the original turret of the "old" type, used by the 75 mm gun armed Shermans, was fitted with a large counterweight. In March 1956 Israel began to mount the guns received from France. The gun was designated in Israel M-50 and as a result the upgunned Sherman was designated Sherman M-50. M4A3 and M4A4 hulls were used. First 50 tanks had Continental R-975 gasoline engine and VVSS suspension, the rest had Cummins diesel engine and HVSS suspension. These subvariants were referred to as M-50 Continental and M-50 Cummins.

In 1960s 180 Sherman tanks received even more powerful French 105 mm FN CN 105 F1 gun. The gun was shortened from 56 calibers to 44 and was equipped with a massive muzzle brake; ammunition with smaller cartridge was used. The modified variant of the gun was known as CN 105 D1. In Israel the gun was designated M-51 and the tank - Sherman M-51. The M4A1 hulls and the "new" turrets were used. All tanks were fitted with Cummins diesel engine and HVSS suspension.

Abroad the M-50 was known as Super Sherman and the M-51 as either Super Sherman or Isherman (i.e. Israeli Sherman). These designation were never used in Israel. The only tank model designated Super Sherman by the IDF was M4A1 with 76 mm M1 gun and HVSS suspension, which was named Super Sherman M-1.

The first 25 M-50s were finished just in time for the Operation Kadesh in the Sinai against the Egyptian Army (who also employed its own upgunned version of the M-4, fitted with AMX-13 turret, making it equal to the M-50 in firepower). Both M-50 and M-51 saw combat in the Six-Day War. Both were also employed in the 1973 Yom Kippur War alongside and against much more modern tanks. This could also be attributed to the surprise nature of the attack on Israel in the war, prompting them to use everything they had.

M-51 Isherman

I'm glad your posting your units here now Wyrmshadow. But I'm alittle surprised by your change of heart. I suppose time heals all wounds and this place has changed quite a bit from the old days, and it is now ready for you. (I mean that in a non-sarcastic way)

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I'm glad your posting your units here now Wyrmshadow. But I'm alittle surprised by your change of heart. I suppose time heals all wounds and this place has changed quite a bit from the old days, and it is now ready for you. (I mean that in a non-sarcastic way)
Time also wounds all heels. It's not like I could post it anywhere else at the moment.

Good looking tank there Wyrmshadow ! The unit is nice and crisp.

How did you know, Wyrm? Glad you made this one, so I don't have to. ;) I had this tank in the back of my mind... to make it once I knew Bryce a little better. I am trying to equip "my" IDF with the weaponry they have been using since 1948...
Thanks!

BadKharma said:
Another supurb unit wyrm. Now someone will need to work on a post WWII arab israeli mod.

It's in the works. Got the map... got the civs and city lists. Working on the tech trees (culture group specific) and working on some custom units as well... hang in there!

Yay! More tanks!
What a wonderful suprise after a vacation day of horseback riding...
My mod needs lots of tanks.:D

An excellent medium tank for the medium powers, Wyrmshadow. Good work.

Top Bottom