SGOTM 03 - Team CFR-W

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to your C_IV SGOTM 3 Team Thread. Please use it for all internal team communication, turn logs and discussions. Subscribe to it to receive notifications, and do not visit the other team threads for this game until you have finished. Please also subscribe to the Maintenance Thread for this game, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest.

The Game
As Peter The Great, Leader of All the Russias, you are charged with achieving a Diplomatic or Space Victory.

This Monarch difficulty game is on a Standard size, Gyathaar-special, crowded map, at Epic speed, against 17 rivals. All victory conditions are enabled, but the laurels for this contest will be awarded to the teams who achieve the fastest Diplomatic or Space victory.

Version
Your team will play this map in Warlords version 2.08, using the standard HoF Mod for Windows version 2.08. This is currently HOF_Mod-2.08.001, but we shall use the latest version of the mod as at the start date for the game.

Your start file will be available on the SGOTM Progress and Results Page at midnight, server local time, at the start of December 1st.

Here's the starting position - click the image below to see a larger version.

Map Parameters
Playable Leader/Civ - Peter of Russia
Rivals - all the other 17 civs in version 1.61
World size - Standard
Difficulty - Monarch
Landform - Archipelago, low sea level, tropical
Game Speed - Epic
AI Aggression - Aggressive
Barbarians - Standard
Permanent Alliances Enabled
No City Razing

Notes
  • Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.
  • BOTH Civilization IV v1.61 and Warlords v.2.08 are supported for this SGOTM. No other versions can be used, and you will have to stick with your chosen version throughout the game.
  • Teams will compete for four awards for each version of the game - the Gold, Silver and Bronze Laurels for the fastest finishes, and the Wooden Spoons for the lowest scoring finisher.
  • All teams must play the sponsored variant - awards will be given to teams who achieve Diplomatic or Space victories in the least turns.
  • All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.

Remember, Rule Number 11: Have Fun. :)

Первыйнах!

I glad to see you!!!

и ещё у меня вопрос, а могу ли я дополнять свои сообщения переводом на русский, для удобства учасников команды ???

See no problem if they just duplicate English version. Moreover, in previous SGOTMs part of discussion was held on CFR forums as, for example, I do not have access to CFC from work.

Just an important note repeating here from the maintenance thread that the game will be played with the latest HOF mod version. It might be the current version but it might be a new version released just prior to the start of the game. So, everyone should be able to download that HOF mode version before the game starts.

Also, we are certainly at freedom to discuss a few things here and there on the other site, but lets try to stick to this thread whenever possible and limit discussion to English and not to confuse lurkers and game admins.

For those who are wondering what am I talking about, there is a thread for this team at CFR forum. It is in Russian and unless you are fluent in Russian, you might find it hard to read. However, access is not limited and it is always possible to use babelfish. ;)

Still waiting for Cardinal, Iohar and Obormot to check in here as well.

Checking in. :D
I'll try to make a summary of the discussion at CFR and post it here later today.

OK, I've made the summary of our discussion. I propably missed something, since the original discussion was 10 pages long and I didn't feel like rereading everything. :lol:

Obviously we are going for a diplo win, since it is faster.

We plan to have an early war to capture enough land for a fast science pace. Six good cities is the bare minimum, so that we can build Oxford and other wonders that require multiple cities, but if we can capture more land easily, we'll go for it. After capturing all the land we need we'll concentrate on science. We'll try to get the rest of the votes peacefully.

We plan to make our religion dominant in the world. Spreading religion by missionaries should be effective in an archipelago world with 17 civs and only 6 heathen religions. We need +7 relations with the AI for them to vote for us. With "Aggressive AI" turned on, the base relations with the AI will range from -1 to -4. We'll get +1 from peace, +2 from OB, +4 from trade and +2-6 from religion. That should be enough for most civs, but we'll have to be carefull to prevent diplo penalties from trade with "worst enemies". So we'll have to choose early which civs we want to have on our sides and only trade with them while alliing against all others.

The exact opening sequence is being discussed now, but obviously we'll research fishing and bronze first. We plan to build two boats quickly and then a quick settler.

We agreed that triing for a CS-slingshot is not a good idea in warlords on monarch level, but we do want to build the Oracle anyway. The plan is to take Metal Casting for free and build a quick forge. We should get an engineer at 500BC or so and that will likely give us the Piramids, which is extremely usefull in a UN game.

We plan to take the shortest path to Mass Media after researching all the base economic techs. Nearly all expensive techs on that way can be lightbulbed by a GS, so we want to generate plenty of those. We'll propably stay in slavery for a while to build some basic infrastructure and then switch to CS/pacifism.

BTW, Gyathar said that the archipelago type is archipelago (i.e. not snaky continents or tiny islands). I have generates several such maps in the WB. Here are some observations:

1. In most of the cases each civ gets their own island. Sometimes thaere are two or three civs on an island, but such cases are quite rare.

2. The island size varies, but usually there is some space for 3 cities or more. But most of these city locations are not very good. Usually only the capital can be a powerfull city.

3. Even though the sea level is low, it is not guaranteed that we can reach everybody before Optics. Sometimes you can only contact a civ or two before optics.

It might be visible +8 is enough. May be +9 with some leaders from different "camp". +10 and +11 might be overkill.

If I might suggest the roster:

Grey Cardinal
akots
IL2T
Iohar
Lexad
liar
Obormot
ProRock

We can switch and swap if needed to be freely, better keep the roster flexible since as you can see the order of players is mostly alphabetical. ;)

Obormot - to add smth from discussion at CFR
relations - can get extra pluses from giving away resources, from making gifts and paying tribute if requested; can get extra pluses from civics (latter is hard)

Then we choose our allies we must remember about favorite civics - as at start we now mostly civics we will use, we can put this parameter into our criterion function.

P.S. Guys, my expirience in writting in English is low, so I will be glad if you correct my rough mistakes.

I support the idea of Lexad in CFR forum of trying to make oracle in second and pyramids in first. Mixing few percentage of engineer and great of scientist is not bad idea while some Great engineer could go fo Machinery and other usefull wonders.
I have some strange proposal to discuss a variant with making Parhenon instead of Pyramids. And accumulating scientists for all prerequisites of Radio (not opening Chemistry to avoid the obsolence of the Parthenon) Suggest we can receive 2 or 3 more scientist. Just as idea. Or trying to accumulate 2 engineers from beginning for Pyramids in first city with forge. Will hope to recieve 2 engineer relatively early?

Parthenon is good idea. But preferably we will build it own cities production + chop forest. At third city. ;)

If we do get the engineer before Piramids are built, we should rush them, there is no other wonder that can be more usefull. If we don't get the Piramids we can build something else, but Parthenon is actually not very usefull in this game. We'll have +200% GPP from the philosophical trait and pacifism, so Parthenon's +50% will actually be only +17% (even less with National Epic).

Top Bottom