Complete realism mode!

SalmonSoil

Prince
Complete Realism for history buffs!

See I had this brilliant idea after a riveting game going for the UHV as Greece on Viceroy (I'm not that great at this game). I noticed that the Romans had built Pompei, and being an avid classicist I knew the sorry fate of this city, and thought how brilliant it would be if I could have it buried by a volcano at 69 AD every single game.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the AI followed historic patterns to the letter (as far as gameplay allowed). For intance, Rome conquers Carthage and Greece around 200AD, every game. Germany, Rome and Japan get a defensive pact, then end up at war with Russia, England, America and France (And perhaps some others, I only know teh big players.
The real challenge here would be for you to play your part, build the right wonders, conquer the right territories. All on time.

No I don't expect anyone to ever try make this, I just thought it would be cool.

I know certain players in this forum who would love this idea. I bet they'll come here on their own effort.

Also, welcome to CivFanatics. :goodjob:

Wouldn't it be interesting if the AI followed historic patterns to the letter

Maybe as a feature you could enable or disable at start, like world wars and collapsing of civs like the Mongol Empire and Roman Empire at historical dates.

Looks like complete predeterminism mode to me.

Complete Realism for history buffs!

See I had this brilliant idea after a riveting game going for the UHV as Greece on Viceroy (I'm not that great at this game). I noticed that the Romans had built Pompei, and being an avid classicist I knew the sorry fate of this city, and thought how brilliant it would be if I could have it buried by a volcano at 69 AD every single game.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the AI followed historic patterns to the letter (as far as gameplay allowed). For intance, Rome conquers Carthage and Greece around 200AD, every game. Germany, Rome and Japan get a defensive pact, then end up at war with Russia, England, America and France (And perhaps some others, I only know teh big players.
The real challenge here would be for you to play your part, build the right wonders, conquer the right territories. All on time.

No I don't expect anyone to ever try make this, I just thought it would be cool.

I think you should try Europa Universalis, if you haven't already. That's a more historically accurate game, and it's fun at the same time - most players would probably think that this would take away quite a lot of the enjoyment in the game, the what if's etc. For most of us, part of the fun is that no game turns out quite the same. If you have some suggestions as to how we make the game more realistic and historical, bring them on - but making everything happen then same way everytime, that't not fun :)

Europa Universalis III is by no means deterministic. Historically weird things often happen there as much as in RFC. Even EUII and FTG are full of what ifs constantly happening.

Some EUIII mods increase determinism, from mild (S.R.I.) to more harsh (Magna Mundi).

Europa Universalis III is by no means deterministic. Historically weird things often happen there as much as in RFC. Even EUII and FTG are full of what ifs constantly happening.

Some EUIII mods increase determinism, from mild (S.R.I.) to more harsh (Magna Mundi).

I was refering to the II of them, sorry, that should have been mentioned in my post :) and yes. But nonetheless, it still has historical events and tries to model what really happened - we don't have historical "events" in the same sense in RFC, apart from spawns and barbs. What I meant was just that if people want to play a historical strategy game which tries to recreate what really happened in a MORE deterministic way, EU II would be my suggestion.

Some thoughts:

Any historical scenario requires some scripting. I wouldn't script the human player though, other than setup the starting situation, initial flips and units and whatnot, but other Civs might have to be forced into one direction or another.

An example: I'm working on a Russian mod scenario based on RFC and needed to make the Mongols unplayable. They are now predetermined to attack Russia - and they are also very likely to collapse shortly thereafter. Likewise with the (Holy Roman) Germans - their cities spawn before the German spawn and thus they don't need any Settlers. They have some custom stability penalties so they are also likely to collapse into a disunited mess. (And respawn later as a united Germany.) It could be noted that any of the collapses/respawns are hard coded or anything, but merely likely outcomes in any given game.

So, using the PyScenario toolkit, one would be able to achieve some of these things. (No stability features, yet, though.) So I'm working on Russian and related areas myself. I know someone else is currently scripting the Americans, and others could also join in. The PyScenario scripts are easy to import from one scenario to another, so I think people will be using each-other's event triggers in their own mod scenarios. (I know I am. :D)

Lastly, a proposal: Why not join forces and work on something like what the OP proposes? There is no need to coordinate anything at all - anyone can easily copy-paste the content they wanna use from others. In the end we might get just that - a wholly scripted version of RFC! :king:

Some thoughts:

Any historical scenario requires some scripting. I wouldn't script the human player though, other than setup the starting situation, initial flips and units and whatnot, but other Civs might have to be forced into one direction or another.

An example: I'm working on a Russian mod scenario based on RFC and needed to make the Mongols unplayable. They are now predetermined to attack Russia - and they are also very likely to collapse shortly thereafter. Likewise with the (Holy Roman) Germans - their cities spawn before the German spawn and thus they don't need any Settlers. They have some custom stability penalties so they are also likely to collapse into a disunited mess. (And respawn later as a united Germany.) It could be noted that any of the collapses/respawns are hard coded or anything, but merely likely outcomes in any given game.

So, using the PyScenario toolkit, one would be able to achieve some of these things. (No stability features, yet, though.) So I'm working on Russian and related areas myself. I know someone else is currently scripting the Americans, and others could also join in. The PyScenario scripts are easy to import from one scenario to another, so I think people will be using each-other's event triggers in their own mod scenarios. (I know I am. :D)

Lastly, a proposal: Why not join forces and work on something like what the OP proposes? There is no need to coordinate anything at all - anyone can easily copy-paste the content they wanna use from others. In the end we might get just that - a wholly scripted version of RFC! :king:

Are you perhaps saying that we should make it likely but not certain? For instance it would be likely that France would sell America New Orleans, whilst trying to conquer Europe around 1800?

Are you perhaps saying that we should make it likely but not certain? For instance it would be likely that France would sell America New Orleans, whilst trying to conquer Europe around 1800?
Well, that's up to you as the scenario designer, now isn't it? :D

And if you wanna incorporate my own events into your personal script, then you can make those as deterministic you like. But in honestly, it isn't easy to mod AI behavior as such. But to have stuff happen on random is doable.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the AI followed historic patterns to the letter (as far as gameplay allowed). For intance, Rome conquers Carthage and Greece around 200AD, every game.
Get to work, then. :D

I will help if you want me to but i need help with modding
You should be able to handle event scripting with PyScenario on your own. Just ask for help if you get stuck. :)

I just think it wouldn't be fun to be Greece when 200BC kicks around and kills you.

Or Mali when Europeans kill you.

Or the Mesoamericans when Spain comes.

Top Bottom