Radio Attempts Monarch

Radio Noer

The Devourer
Hello forum-ers, after my first win on Prince I feel that I did well and I could step up my game a little bit and try for an Emperor win (originally intended to be Emperor, I just looked at the setting and it is evidently on Monarch :sad: ) however the show must go on! Note: using BUG in CustomAssets, I believe this allows non-BUG compatability, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Settings:
Monarch difficulty
Huts/Events ON
Standard/Fractal
Marathon

Leader:

I plan on using IMP and CHA to war, war, war, especially with Immortals, making AH a priority.

The Start:

I moved the scout onto the hill already to find cow just out of reach if I SIP, I think that moving 1NE would be the best starting position and give me all the visible resources in my BFC.

The Save

Attachments

• Cyrus BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    82.2 KB · Views: 42
Awesome HoF start! And yes, moving NE is a no brainer because primarily of the PH (the cow too).

Marathon speed and Huts&Events on? Not sure people will like these settings.
Btw. capital may seem great at first glance but it really isn't. Too many brown tiles and not enough food to support them. Corn may be positive 3 food but double gold is negative 4. Those riverside grassland tiles will need to be farmed instead of cottaged.

I forgot to turn huts and events off, next game they'll be off though, and Marathon is just the speed I'm comfortable at, I'll be sure to change it up when I get a few wins under my belt. Besides I predict I will lose quite shortly making the jump from Prince to Monarch, so it will be short lived huts and events.

1NE means +5 from dry corn and cows, I'd recommend farming the grassland to the south, after it's probably okay to start growing onto cottages.

You guys are funny counting the food for cottages with this start (after getting the cow in too) ~~
Couldn't resist, seriously...:)

Dude Darius is FIN, use the gold to fuel the Rex in the short term, but you're going to want a cottaged bureaucracy supercapital later.

I worldbuildered this to mess around with it on normal speed, but this is why you don't turn on huts and events:

Spoiler :

Yes, that's an early metal casting, which probably means I'll go ahead and chop out colossus once I settle the copper.

Yes, I realize this, but I was so excited to beat Prince yesterday and then get up to Monarch I forgot to change the settings and we are left with Huts/Events on, but man that is a really early Metal Casting :eek:.

Dude Darius is FIN, use the gold to fuel the Rex in the short term, but you're going to want a cottaged bureaucracy supercapital later.

It is funny - Darius seems to be so much more popular than Cyrus that when somebody is playing the Persians we automatically assume the leader is Darius. Granted Darius is Financial and Organized so I imagine would have one of the best economies in the game.

Actually the leader is Cyrus and he is Charismatic and Imperialistic.

I am tempted to download this start and play it! Currently I am rolling up a Noble Sumeria game but I see myself as a probable Prince / Monarch player. I have tried Marathon once or twice but never found the willpower to play it through.

I do not have much advice about the start, whether it is good or bad, but it does look very interesting! I agree with settling 1NE for the Cow and dry Corn. The gold will help you later and the Silk much later. Your food is a bit on the light side so you will be farming and not cottaging - at first anyway.

Research I am thinking Animal Husbandry - Mining - Bronze Working. Chop. Whip. Make some cities!

Anyway the post makes me a subscriber! :)

I am tempted to download this start and play it! Currently I am rolling up a Noble Sumeria game but I see myself as a probable Prince / Monarch player. I have tried Marathon once or twice but never found the willpower to play it through.​

Awesome, I welcome you to join me in this playthrough and enjoy a good challenge.

Ummm - no vassals too - Yuck.

Not sure why I went ahead and slogged through it, but it's been a long week and I decided a nice computer beatdown would be fun. I switched it to normal speed - this would be painful on marathon with no vassals...

Spoiler :

Plenty of nice land, so I settlerspammed and wonderspammed early. Basically, once the capital was size 5, it worked the corn, cow, two gold and a mine, and massed settlers and workers. I easily claimed 10 cities with no strain on tech thanks to all the gold. Pretty much claimed all the key wonders up the aesthetics line, along with colossus, angkor, schwedegon, etc.. Then the standard lib-nat-taj use a GP for back to back golden ages while teching to cuirassiers. Built lots of horsey units. Killed lots of AI.

Long slog with no vassals though.

Did I mention I built lots of horsey units??

Alright, this game looks to be off to a good start, I settled 1 NE on the plains hill for the cows and later settled Pasargadae 1 W of the sheep to my south to also net horses.

After scouting about a bit my scout landed on the much maligned goody huts and netted me Mining, then BW :eek: (just a reminder that next game I must turn huts and events off). In addition to this, this event came up

And I ended up getting the +2:health: and no pop loss.

I then met Elizabeth

Julius

And finally, the cursed SB

Now I have my 3rd settler and am planning on letting my cap grow to happy cap while building Immortals as soon as horse is hooked up. My two questions are: Who do I attack first and where should I drop my third city?

I was thinking of attacking Elizabeth first as she only has 1 city and doesn't seem to have copper hooked up yet, however Julius could be a problem later down the road.

As for cities I had a few spots in mind, but I want to make sure they are good locations.

The first location would nab another 2 golds and rice but it seems a little too plain-ey to me. The third location would give me access to phants, be able to share fish should I cap London, and get immediate access to copper.

I thought this site could be used to block Rome but I wasn't sure if I should split the wheat and cows between 2 cities because settling 2 W would net 2 marble and 1 gold in the BFC.

And so we go...

Shadow Time!(the part where i get to be TMIT)

Spoiler :
Switched speed to normal and turned off events. Settled seven cities. blocking off Lizzy. Got TGW and TGLibrary.Madly teched to cavalry and democracy. At ~1300 AD, I switched off research and started rushbuying level 3 cavalry (Vassalage+Theo+Barracks+Stable). Eventually I settled 2 GG's in my cap and rushbought level 4 cavalry ftw. I was building up to kill Elizabeth, but she peacevassaled to me and I turned towards JC. Killed him, then killed SB in ~300 years. I spent the next 100 years rushbuying a giant fleet from my three coastal cities(ran deficit research to get steel for drydocks) and killed Bizzy, then Pacal. Funny thing was, 1710 AD and neither had rifling. Bismarck got it 1740 AD, and he had communism and electricity by then(i think). Pacal didn't get it at all, even though he had radio and was going Mass Media. Capped him 1785, then pushed the culture slider to get domination 1790 AD. 112k score

Just go immortal crazy, no more settlers. Whip/chop like a demon and just see how far u can get. If its not a capital raze it.:rolleyes:

Elizabeth will undoubtedly settle your site #3 before you if you settle it third, as it's right next to the capital's BFC.I would advise settling 2SW1W or something like that.

Top Bottom